Tragic - Tragic - Tragic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King_Neptune

Founder
Reaction score
Well, reports are still kinda sketchy but today in La Jolla, CA, The diving industry takes another HIT.

"On a 40 year old mans VERY FIRST DIVE after his Open Water certification, he did not come back Alive.

Diving with a buddy, and failed to surface... They found him on the ocean floor shortly thereafter ... "

I don't want to jump the gun here, and the media isnt always the most accurate FIRST WORD on anything but I have a question ...

[red]WHERE WAS HIS BUDDY?!?[/red]

No kidding!

KN, be sure to provide us updates as you get the details. (conditions, type of dive, investigation results, etc)

So sad. This guy was doing the equivalent of solo diving. I think some people call it "same ocean" buddy diving. You'd think that everyone would be on a high state of alert for one's first dive.

My condolences to the family and friends.

I do believe I have seen more idiots per square foot in La Jolla Cove than anywhere else in the diving world (that was in the '73-'81 time frame when I used to dive there).
There were several lost during those years, and the cause was usually the same broken record - borrowed gear, unqualified diver, overweighted etc etc.
While not exactly the same, this does sound like another case of experience level not up to the task.
I am really curious to see what the accident investigation turns up.
Question for KN - you're still in that area, right? Is the cove still a magnet for diving's worst?
Rick

Somewhere I read that 60% of diving fatalities occur within the first 25 dives or so of certification and 50% of DCS and embolism cases involve inexperienced divers. I believe this was a study or something. I'll look for it.

Mike

According to a snip from my notes, a couple guys name Elliot and Bennet published something called Underwater Accidents -- The Physiology of Medicine and Diving in 1993. What I have says that 60% of all fatalities occured with divers having less than 20 dives (not the 25 I said previously). It also stated that about 50% of DCS and embolism incidents occured with inexperienced divers.

I don't have a link, just the publishing info that I had in my notes from a few years ago. I haven't read the entire report, but I'm fairly sure what I have is accurate. Regardless, if this is true, then my question is not where was his buddy, but where was the training? These numbers reinforce what I have always said about most of the training agencies.

Food for thought. :(

Mike

Well theese days one can get an OW with just 4 open water dives and be an instructor logging just over 50. Makes me think.
Michael:confused:

Rick,
Funny that you said that about some of the divers you've encountered at La Jolla Cove. I've read about two diving accidents there. One involving a homemade rebreather, another about two divers trying to break their "personal" depth record (I think I read they were trying for 250') off of La Jolla canyon, each using one aluminum 80 with compressed air- no backup. I understand the canyon is accessible from the shore, by about 150 yard surface swim. Scary. May they rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom