Trainers are invaluable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Way to go brother...you have become quite the fitness freak....

Sounds like you are doing good.....Mom would be so proud!

Way to go brother...you have become quite the fitness freak....

Sounds like you are doing good.....Mom would be so proud!

I've missed ya, brother. Come over to the house and we'll do some squats!

Actually I am more into doing curls, ....12 oz. of the Budweiser variety.....if I am really into working out I splurge and buy the Killians in bottles.:D

While cross-training is definitely critical, swimming is the best training for diving. There's the Principle of Specificity that basically says if you want to compete in the Tour de France you've got to get in the saddle. Cross-training helps you avoid plateaus and helps reduce overuse injuries, but your training should be specific to the sport you are training for.

I respectfully disagree that boxing is the best way to reduce your air consumption rate while diving. Boxing is an excellent cardiovascular workout, though I've read that competitive cyclists have the greatest aerobic capacity of any athletes, but no matter. There are biological changes being in the water, such as the effect on circulation, so the best way to train your cardiovascular system to the unique demands of the water is to well, exercise in the water.

But intensity matters, you have to swim fast enough to get your heart rate up to a training zone to build your aerobic capacity. That can be difficult in the pool because you have to push yourself - it's much easier to do backpacking because the mountain provides you with a permanent resistance and motivation.

Nice to hear the remarks about trainers - a good trainer is a huge blessing and the price of personal training has come down to make it affordable. One of the big trends is to offer partner and small group training, which I think is wonderful. Just make sure when you hire one that they have either NCSM, ACE or AFAA certifications to make sure they are qualified and are staying current.

I've never tried a trainer but it sounds like it really worked for you. What I HAVE tried through....by accident actually....is FLEX magazine. These guys are psychos but they do know how to body build and diet....pre contest, to gain weight, to lose weight, cardio....very detailed articles and a lot of supplement and what foods and how much to eat/body wt etc etc, advice too. It's the extreme of bodybuilding but you can take only as far as you want. I followed a plan for a year and put on 15 lbs of muscle but now I've dropped back off by eating less and doing lower weight, higher rep workouts. And the mag is only about $7 per issue too.

So... I now have a new trainer... Jerry. So far, I've been very pleased. I think this guy was the weight training coach for NAU and ASU football. He's definitely puts a new spin on things. Some of his tweaks really turn up the heat!

And... I saw an orthopod today. He thinks that it's just a rotator cuff strain and not a tear. Injected the joint. Told me to be careful! Ten days no lifting... I'm gonna go nuts!

Two weeks now with a Pilates trainer for better core strength and I've noticed an improvement already. Thanks, Wendy Armstrong!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom