Training In Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Dear All

I'm thinking of "leaving the rat race" for a while.

Did my OW in Mexico @ Xmas. I wouldn't say I was a naturally gifted diver but I've only dived 4 times and enjoyed it.

Thinking of taking one of those 4-6 month Divemaster Courses.

Thinking of Thailand mainly due to the low cost of living (seeing as I won't have a job).

I know if I do get work I won't earn a fortune.

Has anyone got any feedback on Aquanauts in Pattaya?

Any suggestions / ideas etc.

I don't mean to be rude but you should get way more experience before you go anywhere near a divemaster course. You're talking about taking on a lot of responsibility for someone with only 4 dives.

Just go, dive and have fun.

You might have a nicer time doing your DM course in Ko Tao or Phuket. Pattaya can be rather “interesting” but I would hate to be stuck there for months.

I would also support this: In your place I would get more experience first.
And I would not do a DM course in Pattaya (or Phuket, at least not Patong) for several reasons.
Once you have enough dives why not try Lanta Divers in Koh Lanta for a DM course. They are very well organized and do serious but also funny courses (require, however, alt least 60 dives, let alone the needed qualifications).

stevenl:
What reasons do you mean, now you have made me curious.
Well, many DM I met in both places had difficulties staying serious. During or after their training courses.
From what I have observed, it is very diffcult to avoid the party and bar scenes and to get up early every mornings in these places.

dancingcoral:
Well, many DM I met in both places had difficulties staying serious. During or after their training courses.
From what I have observed, it is very diffcult to avoid the party and bar scenes and to get up early every mornings in these places.

Begging your pardon dancingcoral! Where did you observe this? Am very interested to know as I am aquainted with many of the most professional DM's or DM candidates here on Phuket. Many of them living and working in the Patong area as well. Admittedly there are a few DM's who party too much - but come on - this happens in all professions everywhere else in the world. To advise people not to do their diver education on Phuket because of this is hardly fair to those on Phuket who work very hard and do maintain high standards. Not to mention those DM's that don't even drink or party. Sad to think that these individuals should be classified as such.

Phuket is one of the places where in general you can be assured of good divemasters, and for the OP important, good DM training. Yes, the party scene in Patong is tempting, but diving on Phuket is for those who work in it a very responsible job, and I know that most DC's, when they know a DM is showing some after effects of the day before, will not be allowed to dive.

So IMO, dancingcoral, you are talking bulls**t.

I'm "just a diver" but have done most of my diving around Pattaya with various operators. I've been on Aquanaut's boat once and did not like it very much. The boat is okay, but I felt that they lack proper attitude, in particular the safety standards seemed to be very relaxed (e.g. I can't remember a roll call), they seemed to cater mostly to groups of third parties, there was (at least on the trip that I"ve been on) no briefing before the dive by Aquanauts (they probably left it to the various DIs and DMs onboard with their groups). I can't imagine that they may produce good and knowledgable DMs. I may have just caught them on a slack day though and this is an absolute exception. In Pattaya I would recommend either Mermaids (who seem to be putting out a lot of DMs and instructors) or Paradise Scuba. Both of them have internet sites - pm me if you need the URLs.
As others have suggested, there is certainly more interesting diving/sites to be found in Thailand than Pattaya. I don't share the view on "being distracted by the party scene" though - I believe that a focussed person wanting to pick up as much knowledge as possible from a DM course s/he paid for will stay out of trouble and somebody who does not have the right mindset will end up partying anyway - no matter where.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom