Training Plaform?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA1951

Reaction score
I am looking to construct a small 8x8 platform and have some ideas Hopefull someone can help save some headaches with ideas.

Thanking You In Advance
Robin

ok, this might sound a bit simple but get four 55gal drums, put one on each corner of the wood, put a ladder on it, not a big one or heavy duty, some handles on the side and some leashes to ty the gear to before you get out, now normally id say iv seen something like this before, but iv never seen anything like it, also just come to me, that might make it a bit high up

You probably need to give us a little more information as to how this platform is to be used.
Is it anchored at the shore, is it free floating, does it sit upon pilings ? ? ? ?

I think Scuba1951 means under water.

In that case make a simple "deck". Use four plastic 55 gallon drums to float it by the corners... and at least 6 5 gallon buckets filled with cement.... you can add to their weight by encasing some scrap lead balancing weights from a tire shop in the cement to anchor it in place. If its gonna be in a permanent location but removed every season you can sink an old truck frame with anchor points cut or welded in place and leave it on the bottom. That way you only need to mess with the platform. Use Poly line or plastic chain for the floats and chain for the anchor.

That’s how I've seen most under water platforms constructed.

Thanks a lot everyone. Sorry I didnt give more information, it will be underwater and will not be moved. With 4 55 gal drums wont the bouancey be tough to sink ?

SCUBA1951:
Thanks a lot everyone. Sorry I didnt give more information, it will be underwater and will not be moved. With 4 55 gal drums wont the bouancey be tough to sink ?

Try flooding the drums until you get the platform in place and anchored, then add air to the drums to put the platform in place.

If you gotta ask, you probably shouldn't be doing this...

divermasterB:
Try flooding the drums until you get the platform in place and anchored, then add air to the drums to put the platform in place.

If you gotta ask, you probably shouldn't be doing this...

I fiqured A thousand heads are better than one. I am sure there are a lot of ideas to help simplify a project and I am not to proud to ask for help if it can make a project easier. I thought that is what this forum is for. By the way if you already know everything what are you doing here.

Don't know everything, but I do know enough to figure out how to sink a container full of air.

Apology:

Ok, my response was maybe a little rough. I apologize to SCUBA1951 for my abrupt response. It was not in the spirit of this board.

The message is this...

Using a forum such as this to get ideas on construction and materials for a platform is a great idea.

Using this forum for Instruction on how to handle underwater construction, probably not a good idea. (especially if you don't know how to sink air) There are safety issues at play that deserve considerable thought.

Please keep safety in mind, if you aren't detail oriented, and willing to put some thought into it on your own, don't attempt a project like this.

Well with the Drums attached underwater you could go smaller than the 55 gal size and use more.....easier to trim and level the thing out.....if you keep the drums on the surface floating the deck at say 15' via poly line and using the anchor system to keep it stationary using chain then you have a very student friendly set up....different set ups....different difficulty in set up....

BTW....dont you love apologies with big "buts" attached? Dont let anyone get yer feathers ruffled with their banter. Remember.....arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics....even if you win....your still retarded....

The last comment was not intended to trivialize, make fun of or cause harm to the Organizers of the Special Olympics or those who participate in the games. They are all winners. The comment was intended to flame those who post as though everyone in the world is a complete moron and their Omnipotent opinions are law......in short.....get a life!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom