Transition to doubles, should I buy a new regulator set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thomhal

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I started diving last fall and am heavily considering transitioning over from single flask to doubles. I bought a Mares Abyss 52X regulator set with with the 52X first stage and 52X second stage. If I wanted to convert, I could have just bought a second 52X first stage. Is this recommendable or should I try to sell and go for a more doubles friendly regulator set? I do all of my diving in cold water (Norway).
Thanks in advance!

Picture of mentioned regulator set:
z-mares-abyss-52-regulator-complete.png

I have older Mares regs with MR22 first stage which is not a compatible reg for doubles due to the positioning of the outlets for valve access, so I changed to ScubaPro Mk25s for twinset diving.

The new Mares first stages look much better.

As for cold water diving my MR22 and Abyss second stages work well in Scotland so they should work in Norway :)

TH...

I dove Mares MR22T/Abyss doubles for years...excellent doubles reg sets...especially for cold water...MR22T first stages were ported well for routing all your hoses ''down''...

Further...the number of parts in both the first and second stages are minimal...very easy regs to self service and maintain...

Best...

Warren

Appreciate the feedback! Seems like buying just a new first stage is my best option. :)
Nice.....you might want to consider removing the hose strain relief on the second stage.

Appreciate the feedback! Seems like buying just a new first stage is my best option. :)

Generally, buying a first stage separately is not cost effective. Just buy a 1st/second combo. You will eventually benefit from the spare 2nd.

When you jump to longer/deeper dives, how soon will you need to sling a stage/deco bottle? The need for regs starts to add up quickly.

You might want to buy the Mares adjustable 2nd stage to use as your primary 2nd stage. So, if you buy the set, you'll have a spare 2nd stage, as mentioned ^, which is not a Bad Thing.....

In my opinion, you need one set for single tank diving and another set for doubles. It's just easier in the long run to have dedicated sets for each type of diving.

For diving doubles, I really prefer a 1st stage with a swivel turret and bottom port. That eliminates any need for hoses ever having to make a 90 degree bend where they attach to the 1st stage.

I also always try to dive doubles over a single tank. But, sometimes, a single tank is the only option. Thus, I keep a single tank reg set and have a separate set for doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom