Transmitter Life Span (Do they have one?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am kind of new here, and while I have not found a thread on this question, I hope it is not obvious.

I am interested to know if transmitters for Hoseless Air Integrated systems have a useful life. Do they get 'weak' with age as some other common local area transmitters (such as telco bluetooth or LAN wifi chips) do?

I am asking as you sometimes see second hand transmitters for sale, which would make a hoseless system more affordable, but would be of little use if the units are near to being clapped out.

I am kind of new here, and while I have not found a thread on this question, I hope it is not obvious.

I am interested to know if transmitters for Hoseless Air Integrated systems have a useful life. Do they get 'weak' with age as some other common local area transmitters (such as telco bluetooth or LAN wifi chips) do?

I am asking as you sometimes see second hand transmitters for sale, which would make a hoseless system more affordable, but would be of little use if the units are near to being clapped out.

That's an interesting statement . . . would you care to share the source?

I have 3 years on my transimitters without issue though I do replace the battery annually.

That's an interesting statement . . . would you care to share the source?

Well, for now, and the purposes of this question, I am the source :wink: I have 3 laptops within reach that have either mobo mounted or wifi cards that have either stopped working or have a range of 5-10 feet. I have 2 sony ericsson that have had (less dramatic) decreases in range. The most likely cause (if you accept my empirical evidence) would suggest heat degradation or contact oxidization. Solid-state chip without proper heat sink equals reduced life span. Just like with LED lighting.

But if it not a problem that manifests with these transmitters then that's my answer I guess. I just wanted to pose the question before thinking about buying an 'older' transmitter.

Well, for now, and the purposes of this question, I am the source :wink: I have 3 laptops within reach that have either mobo mounted or wifi cards that have either stopped working or have a range of 5-10 feet. I have 2 sony ericsson that have had (less dramatic) decreases in range. The most likely cause (if you accept my empirical evidence) would suggest heat degradation or contact oxidization. Solid-state chip without proper heat sink equals reduced life span. Just like with LED lighting.

But if it not a problem that manifests with these transmitters then that's my answer I guess. I just wanted to pose the question before thinking about buying an 'older' transmitter.

Wow...that's an interesting phenomenae you are experiencing there.

I'm a radio technician in the army, and I've got a fair amount of experience in repairing things that don't transmit like they used to.

First your computers: I would blame the receivers having less sensitivity before I blamed the transmitter "weakening", most of the radios I have fixed with a "transmit problem" ultimately had a receiving problem. The only exceptions I can remember was when we were still loading our trucks down with so much stuff that drained the electrical systems; when someone pushed the Talk button there was no juice left for the radios.

But back to transmitters getting old...and weak. Ultimately, a regular tank pressure transmitter should last many years because it is a one-way conversation. Your transmitter is just constantly yakking about your air pressure and won't shut up until the pressure is gone, similar to an old girlfriend of mine. There's only a few things that would degrade the strength of the output signal; one being weak batteries (duh...but it happens) and the others being (in no particular order) water salinity, magnetic pole strength, sun spots, and the planetary alignment.

You see, these transmitters are so weak, that anything can and will mess up your computer's reception of the signal. Occasionally I will see my computer lose the signal when I stretch my arms WAY out but it returns when I put the computer right in front of my face, the radio waves can only travel so far. Period.

In the end: Unless the transmitter has been flooded I would expect great reliability from any used transmitter out there. Just replace the batteries as soon as you get it and rock on.

Peace,
Greg

The only exceptions I can remember was when we were still loading our trucks down with so much stuff that drained the electrical systems; when someone pushed the Talk button there was no juice left for the radios.
:lol: :rofl3:
:shocked2: (That's not funny when you are the SigO . . . but it sure is in retrospect!)
But back to transmitters getting old...and weak. Ultimately, a regular tank pressure transmitter should last many years because it is a one-way conversation. Your transmitter is just constantly yakking about your air pressure and won't shut up until the pressure is gone, similar to an old girlfriend of mine.
Peace,
Greg

:rofl3: So how did you relieve the pressure on the girlfriend? :popcorn:

I've used a Aeris Elite for almost five years now. No problems so far. Bought mine new from LDS.

As stated previously, change the batteries out, one on the receiver, one on the transmitter every year, change out o-rings too.

The heat potential for one of the transmitters is pretty small.. that is not a giant power source.. but some older scubapro transmitters had in issue with the tiny openning getting plugged and not woring. The new ones now have a removeable orifice.

Not sure how the others are designed, but would think leaking and or plugging would be the major concerns.. and then burning out.

I have had one transmitter go bad in 4 years and 300 or so dives, and it was due to the plugging issue.

Wow...that's an interesting phenomenae you are experiencing there.

Geeez, a phenomena? I understood it was not entirely uncommon with wifi. But wifi requires a balance of transmission and reception - receiver needs to transmit a confirmation of 'packet integrity' prior to the transmitter sending the next packet - so this is apparently not a comparable technology to a 1 way transmitter found in Integrated Air systems.

@Puffer Fish - Good to know, thank you. (BTW why your avitar no puff?)
@Codiak, and Brishar - Thanks.

I suppose I asked this question as there was a second hand unit up over in the classified section and another member asked for 'proof' that it still 'worked'. So I started wondering, other that mistreatment, why it might not work, and I was reminded of my laptops and ergo, my original question.

My Aeris 750GT setup is ten years old now. Only trouble I had with it was with the receiver end. Transmitter's been fine the whole time. They are still selling the same transmitters today that they sold back then. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

My receiver had a problem that apparently Aeris had identified and had a fix for. Though it was out of warranty, I was able to get a "refurbished" receiver for $225 and haven't had a moment's problem with it. The original receiver had problems picking up the transmitter and finally quit communicating at all.

Back
Top Bottom