TransPlate vs. TransPac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am actually in the market for a BC myself and have been considering the exact same choice. A BC is the last piece of kit I have bought due to there being so many choices out there, so I have been begging and borrowing plenty over the years to try to get a handle on a choice. I have dove on many jacket BC but find them very varied and honestly of the rec wings I have tried I have found them more pleasurable to use in terms of stability and trim. Plus they appear to pack a lot easier into kit bags from what I have seen.

I like the DR modullarity and seeming simplicity of setup. I do a LOT of travel diving, mainly liveaboards. I must admit there are a lot of choices in wings and I found the BSAC forums quite unhelpful in the sense that if you are not a diver with years and years of experience, (being PADI didn't help the matter), you were branded a fool for looking at a wing in the first place. Hence the join up here and my first post :)

The DR Transpac looks very comfy and with a wing comes in at around 3.2kgs it is travel friendly. The Transplate with an aluminium backplate, (I do mainly warm water diving), is practically identical in weight if not slightly lighter than the Transpac. This may have already been covered but I am finding it difficult to distinguish any pros and cons between the two.

I am pretty sure a DR Transpac would suit me well since I currently warm water dive and as much as I can, I dive single 12L alu or steel depending on the operator, (usually for former). I do however wish to start persuing into more technical diving espects with one of the tech arms, so would like to remain open to future requirements.

In light of the above, and from what people have said so far I am having a hard time distinguishing between the two setups. Any recommendations / experiences above what has already been said would be greatly appreciated :)

The Transpac is simply more versatile. You can rig it up (though not optimally) to do double-tank diving. You can rig it up for sidemount diving, and naturally you can rig it up for rebreather.

However, for warm water diving, the aluminum plate Transplate may not be a bad deal.

So Kathleen, it seems you are recommending the TransPlate. Do you receommend use of the backplate pad?

Whoa, sorry Caveman, I missed your post! Well, you've prolly already got your rig, but I think you can go with or without. I'd start without and if you find that your plate or bolts are uncomfortable, add the pad. Why not be comfy when diving?

I don't find it necessary when I dive my TransPlate, but I dive with a drysuit and loads of undergarments as I get easily chilled.

Sorry to be posting so late,

Kathleen

I am actually in the market for a BC myself and have been considering the exact same choice. A BC is the last piece of kit I have bought due to there being so many choices out there, so I have been begging and borrowing plenty over the years to try to get a handle on a choice. I have dove on many jacket BC but find them very varied and honestly of the rec wings I have tried I have found them more pleasurable to use in terms of stability and trim. Plus they appear to pack a lot easier into kit bags from what I have seen.

I like the DR modullarity and seeming simplicity of setup. I do a LOT of travel diving, mainly liveaboards. I must admit there are a lot of choices in wings and I found the BSAC forums quite unhelpful in the sense that if you are not a diver with years and years of experience, (being PADI didn't help the matter), you were branded a fool for looking at a wing in the first place. Hence the join up here and my first post :)

The DR Transpac looks very comfy and with a wing comes in at around 3.2kgs it is travel friendly. The Transplate with an aluminium backplate, (I do mainly warm water diving), is practically identical in weight if not slightly lighter than the Transpac. This may have already been covered but I am finding it difficult to distinguish any pros and cons between the two.

I am pretty sure a DR Transpac would suit me well since I currently warm water dive and as much as I can, I dive single 12L alu or steel depending on the operator, (usually for former). I do however wish to start persuing into more technical diving espects with one of the tech arms, so would like to remain open to future requirements.

In light of the above, and from what people have said so far I am having a hard time distinguishing between the two setups. Any recommendations / experiences above what has already been said would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi,

I always advise to buy for your current level of diving. And since you are traveling and diving single tanks, I would go with a TransPac since they pack easily and you don't have to worry about metal rubbing against other pieces of gear in your luggage. When you drive to dive sites, it's one thing to throw a metal backplate into your car and go to the dive site, but when stuffing your gear into a bag its always best to have soft packs OR you need to keep the plate/harness separate and carry it over your shoulder with the rest of your gear in the bag.

The TransPac is more versatile and can take you into technical diving. Many divers nowadays are going straight into sidemount and you could build your own sidemount rig around the TransPac. I like a plate for diving doubles myself, but the TransPac can easily handle lightweight doubles (80s, 100s) with the Stab Plates.

Hope this helps,
Kathleen

The same for me. Started with a TransPac (from a Zeagle Tech and Ranger), switched to TransPlate with the deluxe harness (quick release and ease of adjustment), have taken both travelling to warm water, and am currently diving the TransPlate in the Northwest and the TransPac tropical. With both, small and large weight pockets, and a STA I can make a rig that does exactly what I need and it only takes a few minutes.

Actually Kathleen, I haven't gotten it yet. I am still trying to decide if the transplate is over-kill for singles diving. My Zeagle is working right now, but like I said I am looking at streamlining my set-up. Also looking at doing some tech classes this summer. What do you think, too much for singles?

Whoa, sorry Caveman, I missed your post! Well, you've prolly already got your rig, but I think you can go with or without. I'd start without and if you find that your plate or bolts are uncomfortable, add the pad. Why not be comfy when diving?

I don't find it necessary when I dive my TransPlate, but I dive with a drysuit and loads of undergarments as I get easily chilled.

Sorry to be posting so late,

Kathleen

Actually Kathleen, I haven't gotten it yet. I am still trying to decide if the transplate is over-kill for singles diving. My Zeagle is working right now, but like I said I am looking at streamlining my set-up. Also looking at doing some tech classes this summer. What do you think, too much for singles?

I dive my SS bp with singles and doubles, using an STA for single tank diving, makes switching very easy. Just make sure you have 2 different wings; 1 one for singles (travel), and another for doubles. As for traveling, I have taken my SS bp with me to Bonaire; and will be taking it with me to Sipadan. You have to be creative when traveling with a SS bp because it does add weight to your luggage.

My vote is for the bp, whether you get SS, or aluminum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom