Transporting Scuba Tanks in a Vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy and I had a disagreement on the last trip on how the tanks should be positioned in a vehicle when you are transporting them. Unless you transport them upright, there are only 5 possible ways that I can see. The theory is that if for some reason (like a wreck) the valve separates from the tank...something is going to cause damage. The tank moving, or the valve flying off. Which position is going to be best if that happens?

Which is the best option?

1. Tank valve facing front of vehicle. Tank bottom as far to the rear of the vehicle as possible. Bottom is wedged against the gate or rear wall of the trunk. Additional luggage is between the tank valves and the seats or bed liner.

2. Tank valve facing front of vehicle. Tank valve is as far forward as possible against the seats, bed liner wall, etc. Additional luggage or stuff between the rear of the vehicle and the tanks.

3. Tank valve facing the rear of the vehicle. Tank valve as far to the rear of the vehicle as possible. Valve is wedged against the gate or rear wall of the trunk. Additional luggage is between the tank bottoms and the seats or bed liner.

4. Tank valve facing rear of vehicle. Tank bottom is as far forward as possible against the seats, bed liner wall, etc. Additional luggage or stuff between the rear of the vehicle and the tanks.

5. Tanks sideways in the vehicle. With the additional luggage wedged on the front and back of the tanks.

What ever you do, make sure they are tied down tight. Slim chance of shearing a valve, certanty that they will become a 40 LB projectile if your hit or roll.

The most important thing is to block the tanks so that they do not move. If the tanks can move around they can bang into one another and may damage a valve. In an accident, a valve could be broken off. A tank with the valve broken off can become a rocket and do quite a bit of damage to whatever it hits.

Most instructors recommend placing tanks in your vehicle with the valves forward. That way, if the valves break off in an accident and they take off they go toward the vehicle that hit you.

Many divers place their tanks with the valves toward the rear. That way they are easier to handle (by the valves) getting them in and out of the vehicle.

captndale:
Most instructors recommend placing tanks in your vehicle with the valves forward. That way, if the valves break off in an accident and they take off they go toward the vehicle that hit you.

I agree. Better to be the shooter than being shot at.

Just my 2 cent, how about if you roll the tank and have tank valve faceing one side of the vehicle and bottom facing other side of the vehicle and side of the thank touching your gate and other luggage wedged between back seat and side of the tank.
Worst case scenario, if valve snaps and tank turns into projectile it would only damage the vehicle.
I have seen people make wooden rack to hold the tank from rolling also another neat idea I had seen is 2 piece of thick pvc pipe with bigger diameter tied with rope and tank is wedged between the pipe and rope could be adjusted as per thickness of the tank.

I carry mine behind the passenger's seat with the valve facing to the driver's side and an old sweat shirt between them so they don't rub against each other. Haven't had one blow up yet.

But isn't option 1 and 2 based on the theory that valves won't just "fall off" but be shot off like a bullet? Is that true or not true?

I go with option #1.

My theory, is that a tank with it's base against something solid when the valve breaks will push hard, but not do anywhere near the damage it would do if it wasn't constrained and it could pick up some speed. So tie them down with the bottom of the tank up against the wall of the trunk if possible.

ReefHound:
But isn't option 1 and 2 based on the theory that valves won't just "fall off" but be shot off like a bullet? Is that true or not true?

If it's sheered off, I find it unlikely that it would take off like a bullet. There's no barrel to constrain the gas behind the projectile. It's the tank that will try to take off like a rocket.

Back
Top Bottom