Transporting Scuba Tanks in a Vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the force require to shear a scuba valve is such that if a crash is sufficent to do it, you're already in a world of hurt. block/chock the tanks so they aren't likely to roll around, and don't worry about valves getting knocked off.

I have mine in the back tied down sideways under a cargo net (a real one, not the cheap one that comes with the car).

I'm more worried about the tank coming forward and whacking me in the head than of the valve coming off. Any collision that could whack off the valve would probably kill the passengers anyway.

Terry

Knavey:
My buddy and I had a disagreement on the last trip on how the tanks should be positioned in a vehicle when you are transporting them. Unless you transport them upright, there are only 5 possible ways that I can see. The theory is that if for some reason (like a wreck) the valve separates from the tank...something is going to cause damage. The tank moving, or the valve flying off. Which position is going to be best if that happens?

If the tanks are laying on their side, they should be placed with the tank valve toward the rear of the vehicle.

I secure them with tie-down straps in a frame that bolts to the bed of my truck.
Some States have specific regulations regarding the transportation of high pressure vessels/tanks on highways. Check your state DOT for accurate information.

Also ask your auto insurance company for restrictions, coverage and suggestions.

Dave

I'm curious. Does anyone know of any vehicular incidents/accidents involving scuba tanks?

Sasquatcher

I always go for nr 4 myself..
Makes the tank easy to handle by the valve and its in contact with a wall.
To stop sideways rolling i simply use the weights as "stoppers"..

For the record, your cellphone is something you probably dont care about "strapping down" when you drive, but that could very easilly kill you in a car crash too..

I put them in with valve facing front of vehicle, I would rather it take off out the back of my explorer than toward my passengers and I (not that it would happen easily). I use home made tank dividers that was made from one of those pool noodles to keep them from rolling around and strap them down to the hooks in my floorboard. My buddy does the same with his pick up and uses a cargo strap to keep them from moving. You can also use old towels to prop around them for more support.

LOL~~~ OP must have too much time in your life..

A while back on the Discovery Channel the MythBusters confirmed that a tank that has it's valve sheered off will become a rocket. In the test they wacked a valve off a tank and it went rocketing accross a room and through a cinder block wall and then into another wall behind that. Graned the test was done with one of those large CO2 tanks. They also tried shooting an AL 80cu scuba tank to see if it would explode and it didn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom