Transporting Scuba Tanks in a Vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an option #4

My concern is protecting the tank so the valve isn't damaged. In my opinion the most likely cause of tank damage would be caused from tanks moving/sliding with hard braking or a collision. If they are braced against a seat or bed they are more likely to stay put. Of course you would need to make sure nothing behind the valves is substantial enough to damage them in an impact as well.

Good subject!

draperb@hcsmail.com:
A while back on the Discovery Channel the MythBusters confirmed that a tank that has it's valve sheered off will become a rocket. In the test they wacked a valve off a tank and it went rocketing accross a room and through a cinder block wall and then into another wall behind that. Graned the test was done with one of those large CO2 tanks. They also tried shooting an AL 80cu scuba tank to see if it would explode and it didn't.

The damage it did was because it was allowed to build up momentum as it flew across the room. If it was strapped down, would it have enough thrust to get loose? I haven't seen the episode, but I'm really curious if they measured the thrust it generated...

Here's video of some guys successfully shooting scuba tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx4XfFVRArQ

I realize they shot the tanks through the sidewall, but given the wild force exhibited by these tanks, I'm not sure it matters a whole lot which way it's laying in your vehicle when it let's go. I just don't want to be anywhere near it.

Mountain Dog

I can decelerate with my brakes *much* faster than I can accelerate by flooring it, so having the base forward is better in anything other than being parked at a light and having a speeding SUV rear-end you at 80 mph. :D

draperb@hcsmail.com:
A while back on the Discovery Channel the MythBusters confirmed that a tank that has it's valve sheered off will become a rocket. In the test they wacked a valve off a tank and it went rocketing accross a room and through a cinder block wall and then into another wall behind that. Graned the test was done with one of those large CO2 tanks. They also tried shooting an AL 80cu scuba tank to see if it would explode and it didn't.
Yep I had seen that one and it was amazing how easily it went thru half of the room and cut thru cinder block like butter. I guess I must have missed the part where they played with scuba tank, but I don't know logically it should do the same if you use AL 80cu tank or the bigger tank they had used. Only chances are AL80cu might run out of power sooner..... what are the thought...??

I see the dissention in the ranks here is a about like it was when we were loading the tanks in the truck!

Knavey:
I see the dissention in the ranks here is a about like it was when we were loading the tanks in the truck!
Maybe the correct answer is simply "is it me or you thats driving the damn car?"

Mountain Dog:
Here's video of some guys successfully shooting scuba tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx4XfFVRArQ

I realize they shot the tanks through the sidewall, but given the wild force exhibited by these tanks, I'm not sure it matters a whole lot which way it's laying in your vehicle when it let's go. I just don't want to be anywhere near it.

Mountain Dog
If I recall correctly, that video made by Kyle is scubaboards own Whalerkyle and the video was made after a lenghty discussion in this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=50551

Its one of the longest threads on the forum i think, and it holds some rather funny posts :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom