Travel bcd wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need a weight belt with a BP/W, but if you want to use one, put it on first, then the crotch strap and waist belt as normal.

Im not trying to make this more difficult it is more difficult unless your somewhere you can actually put your hands on this equipment. Without ever putting on a backplate and my Dive buddies telling me they prefer traditional BCDs its tough for me to just start ordering things on line. And I had a time limit for this. Not a lot of room to get it right. We had to wait to book this next trip until close to the window. Since my kids turned about 16 it’s been impossible to get all five of us on a dive trip together at least one of them could not make it, this will be our first trip of any kind together in about ten years.

If there’s ever any question as to why tradition BCDs are more popular than wings and back plates it’s because you can walk into just about any dive shop and 20 minutes later walk out with a unit that will fit well even great do the task and be a simple process. While that may be possible of a wing in some places it’s not possible in Portland Oregon and Im sure in many places. I was in town yesterday and went to a number of them called every one of them you actually cannot outfit a wing on the spot here. Most carry nothing for them. And a lot of people just don’t want to have to configure or tinker with their bcd they want to put it on and go diving. Im a tinkerer and get into the specific break down of things I’m interested in a backplate and tailoring one to be right for me, I will pursue this in time. Currently I’m lucky to pull off two dive trips a year but that changes soon. You may laugh but I live 3000 miles from my dive destination but I’ve already bought a brand new dive boat.

However I did solve my immediate issues. A really nice Scubapro nighthawk set complete everything my son needs except a mask showed up on Craigslist middle of the day, I’ve been shopping for weeks kind of funny. Guy has major sinus issues and can’t dive any more everything fit my son like we bought it for him. Like it was meant to be. Ill look into wings next trip to Florida and start my quest for one then. My life changes in about three tree years I’ll be semi retired and have the time to get that worked out I have good gear now. I needed one more complete set up so my kids can all dive when they visit me. Thanks for the input.

You're making too big of a deal about all this. Twelve years ago while taking my OW class, I began reading about diving here and decided I wanted a BP/W. I ordered a Halcyon set-up, put it together myself following the directions provided, and never wore a jacket BCD again. The only thing a local GUE instructor did later on was to raise the shoulder D-rings a little. It isn't rocket surgery.

I agree you're imagining this as more complex than it *need* be. Yes, there are many variations of plate, wing, and pockets. But at a first approximation any of the common ones will work just fine. And, many here would argue, that first approximation is well worth the change from a more common style of BC.

How tall are you and your son? If you're very short or very tall, you may do better with a short or long plate, but otherwise this really is not that complex. The standard size plate fits most people.

If you want lighter travel weight, go aluminum plate or cutout steel.

For lift, 30 lb is fairly compact for the tropics, but decent enough lift to likely be useful at home. I dive 30lb wing in Nor Cal.

Integrated weight pockets help, several companies offer them, I have Halcyons. As do cam band pockets for trim, I like DiveGear Expresses $10 trim pockets.

Getting a kit of plate, harness, and wing ensures the wing and plate play well together, most do but some do not. This sidesteps that issue.

As an example, the complete kits at DiveGearExpress should likely serve you well.

Crotch strap is very helpful, but often I dive without it or hook it up once under water waiting on others. Partly as I am a fan of some weight on a weight belt and threading the crotch under the weight belt can be a hassle.

A bonus of BP/W is you can customize it. If your shoulder bugs you, you can put a belt buckle on that shoulder strap, or other release. The crotch strap you could have a camping store sew a velcro based closure version if you decide to use it.

I like my setup because I can fit it into a carry-on suitcase. It's a Short Delux Harness with an OxycheckUltralite Backpack (soft) and a Mares single tank donut:

Short Deluxe Harness

OxyCheq Ultralite Travel Backpack

XR Single Tank Donut Bladder

I added a couple of cam straps, and 4 weight pockets - 2 on the upper cam band and 2 on the harness belt. I also added a crotch strap. Hard to believe there's anything more compact or light weight.

Im not trying to make this more difficult it is more difficult unless your somewhere you can actually put your hands on this equipment. Without ever putting on a backplate and my Dive buddies telling me they prefer traditional BCDs its tough for me to just start ordering things on line. And I had a time limit for this. Not a lot of room to get it right. We had to wait to book this next trip until close to the window. Since my kids turned about 16 it’s been impossible to get all five of us on a dive trip together at least one of them could not make it, this will be our first trip of any kind together in about ten years.

If there’s ever any question as to why tradition BCDs are more popular than wings and back plates it’s because you can walk into just about any dive shop and 20 minutes later walk out with a unit that will fit well even great do the task and be a simple process. While that may be possible of a wing in some places it’s not possible in Portland Oregon and Im sure in many places. I was in town yesterday and went to a number of them called every one of them you actually cannot outfit a wing on the spot here. Most carry nothing for them. And a lot of people just don’t want to have to configure or tinker with their bcd they want to put it on and go diving. Im a tinkerer and get into the specific break down of things I’m interested in a backplate and tailoring one to be right for me, I will pursue this in time. Currently I’m lucky to pull off two dive trips a year but that changes soon. You may laugh but I live 3000 miles from my dive destination but I’ve already bought a brand new dive boat.

However I did solve my immediate issues. A really nice Scubapro nighthawk set complete everything my son needs except a mask showed up on Craigslist middle of the day, I’ve been shopping for weeks kind of funny. Guy has major sinus issues and can’t dive any more everything fit my son like we bought it for him. Like it was meant to be. Ill look into wings next trip to Florida and start my quest for one then. My life changes in about three tree years I’ll be semi retired and have the time to get that worked out I have good gear now. I needed one more complete set up so my kids can all dive when they visit me. Thanks for the input.

Not to come across as snooty or anything, but I see a disconnect between worrying about over weight gear bag airline fees vs "I've already bought a brand new dive boat"? Just sayin'. Anyway, I pretty much agree with the rest of your observations, I customize all my gear, and have tons of assorted plates/harnesses/D-rings/slides/SS bolts/pocketswings....mostly from Dive gear Express and Oxycheq....so I can mix/match/rearrange to my hearts content...and things/ideas that look good on the surface don't end up working out underwater 'in the real world', so I tweak often. Admittedly I'm a gear perfectionist and want my gear 'just so', so I'm pickier than most. Through trial and error you will build your gear, especially if you face unique physical limitations, so it's not something you can/should cram through just before a dive trip, you just don't have time to build, test, rebuild prior to this trip.

After my first dive trip, i bought a second hand BP/W setup, i had 17 dives behind me.

I adjusted it in a few minutes, and did some final adjustment when i put it on my drysuite.

I have a couple of small (weight) pockets on the waist belt, but when i dive in warm water i do not use any weights anymore, and when i dive in drysuite i prefer to have a belt, its just more comfortable with 10 kg of lead. But it would probably be better if i added 6-8kg to the plate, and carry 2-4 kg in the pockets or on a belt.

I started to dive it without any crouch strap, but when my belly shrinked I added a strap, sometimes i jump in first and put on the strap in the water, but mostly I just buckle it up onboard the boat, it takes a few seconds to put it on.

There are a lot of possible combinations and brands, but if it is a classic BP/W setup there are only minor differences.

First chose material of the plate, Steel, Aluminum or plastic.
I prefer steel as it adds a little weight and make you need less lead.

Then the size of the wing, if you dive in a thin wetsuite or just a rashguard, and aluminum tanks. you only need a small wing, 18-25 lbs. If you dive in a thick wetsuite dry, and maybe steel tank, you like to have a bigger wing, 30-36#

The last thing is what kind of harnes, single piece webbing, or something more complexed whit buckles, padding and adjustment.

For me it is single piece harnes all the way, I am not limber, but i have no problem donning and doffing, and the adjustments are very easy to do, i see no need for adjustments and buckles, its only more things to think of. and the padding does not make anything better, when correct adjusted its no problem.

Then you can add pockets, There are many to chose from, different size, quick release weight pockets, or ordinary pockets with a flap you can open and just drop the weight manualy.

I don't really like the quick release type, whit handles and snaps like on most weight integrated jackets, I think they clutter up to much and just add complexity and risk of dropping the weights. I use 2 small weight pockets from OMS, and i usualy have my camera in the left one and put trash i find under water in the other. When i have the need to carry some extra weight to give to my buddies i put them in one pocket.

Other than the classic "standard" BP/W setups you can get some more custom sets, like the XDeep Ghost travel wing or the Freedom plate. Some are more different, like the Ghost that is a complete set, or more like the classic setup like the Freedom plate.

If you like to try out a classic NP/W setup, its easy to buy one complete setup, different brands does not matter so much, they have only minor difference. Just decide on what material in the plate, and what size wing you need, and if you like a one piece or some of the more complicated ones. Look on what web shops that are available and order one complete set.

Im not giving up the idea of a backplate wing for those looking for light travel BCD ill throw more at this and its not to make it complicated. It is I will be diving in Florida a lot in the upcoming years. This is suitable for a wing backplate no debate here. I also plan on taking a number of trips to other remote areas some these flights have 40 pound weight restrictions cost is a factor when you add 8 of them on a trip between two divers theres often a charge for each junction last trip we had 4 flights with these all booked separately from each other Mind you we stepped foot on 7 islands and actually stayed on 6 of them. Then theres the dragging and carrying weight. I carried two of our dive gear set ups back and forth on one of these islands about a mile in the sand. And its FN hot and humid. Id call it living hell however this trip was in fact the most fun we have ever had and plan to do it again. Im not sure how many peddle cabs motorcycle wagons vans buses boats and planes total that occured on this trip but moving weight and cubic inches anything that can be cut down is appealing.

I dont think a wing and backplate are going to gain me much for this. So we are looking at travel BCDs my wife likes the Aqualung Outlaw her needs are pretty basic she wont need many accessories usually a camera and not even a flashlight and she rarely makes as many dives as me. Myself I dont know yet I liked the fit of the Scuba pro Hydros but its still bulky and heavy. Im not in a rush but ill add to this if we find solutions.

Thanks for the input.

I'm surprised this hasn't been suggested yet.

Aqualung Outlaw or Rogue. (Or Outlaw with Rogue waist bands)

Light weight, modular, flexible, back inflate BC. Lighter than aluminum plates. Waist and shoulder straps disconnect, packs flat, stash waist and should straps in luggage where ever possible, when you arrive, just snap them back in place.

Because of the modular design, should have no problem getting a "customized" fit. You can even have "your waist or should straps" and your son's.

Padded shoulder straps with daisy chain instead of D-Rings. I added Stainless steel split rings to make clipping lights easier, but still lighter than D-Rings.

Kidney placed integrated dump-able weight pockets. (Some complain that they're difficult to reinsert while wearing, but I haven't had any difficulty.)

Outlaw has 12 or 25 lb wings available. I have 25 lb, even for tropical diving.

Rogue waist straps have deployable pockets. Fold up and out of the way when not used, or deploy them and you have a nice, 6 inch deep, pocket to secure SMB, Mask, light, or whatever. I keep a mirror in my left pocket while still folded.

I find that it trims out perfectly for me. I'm 5'10", 160 lbs, 3mm full wetsuit (fairly new still), butt pouch with DAN dSMB, reel, light, mirror, and I dive 6 lbs of lead, as horizontal as the horizon!

(I'll also add that I'm on a 40" primary hose with 90° and integrated Airsource2 backup.)

I hope that helps, good luck!
:cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom