Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al plate = less stuff I can pack or excess baggage fees. We are constantly bumping up against the 50lb limit even with a bag that's only 8.3lbs.
Even with 4 Apeks regs, SS plate, OMS twin bladder wing, canister light, wet suit, thermal, OMS Slipstream fins etc etc the weight is never ever exceed 20kg. The secret is: my carry bag only weights 0.8kg.

I'm not so concerned with meeting airline weight restrictions but more that I often have to carry my bags around a lot to catch buses, trains, taxis, boats etc as a small guy every kilo not in my bag makes life much easier. YMMV. Cheers.

Do you reckon this thing could have made me a better diver quicker than jacket? I doubt it because I wouldn't have any money left to go diving.
Travel bc means more lead on my weight belt.
Nothing beat Al plate with small wing.

Personally, I would rather have the extra weight of an aluminum or SS backplate in my integrated weight pockets or on a weight belt than in my suitcase. This is especially true if having to use a foreign air carrier that has a more restrictive weight requirement for luggage.

I absolutely love my Xdeep Ghost. Very light BP. When wearing a 5 mil WS, I only add a couple pounds. BP/W's are probably the most commonly recommended setup on SB. I'd at least try a few in the pool before buying to see what you like.

I've fit my deepsea supply BP/W setup in a small carry-on bag many times. I have a 30 lb bladder, and it rolls up neatly to about the size of a large sweater. As the backplate is flattish, it's not much of an issue either. I'm quite comfortable with the weight of a steel plate, but if it's a concern / carry-on weight restrictions are problematic, an aluminum plate would also work fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom