Travel between cayman islands....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miserkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I might join a local dive shop for a trip to
CAYMAN BRAC BEACH RESORT

...In oct. I have AA miles i can use to fly to grand cayman airport. Are there water taxis to brac?

Hate to fly those inter island small planes!

Also how is brac shore, boat diving compared to bonaire, Belize?

Pls advice thx...
Kris

You have to fly to Brac from GC on Cayman Airways, there's no water taxi, it's too far, but you don't have to take small planes to get to Brac. CA flies jets and turboprops, as well as small twin otters to Brac. During the high season CA offers a few direct flights from Miami to Brac, but that probably won't be available in the fall.

If you are going to CBBR you will be boat diving. There is shore diving available on Brac but I have never tried it, but the island is gaining a reputation for shore diving, but it is not like Bonaire which is primarily shore diving.

I have only done 2 trips to Belize. One was a liveaboard out of Belize City - and the diving was very good; and the other was a week on Ambergris Caye, and the diving was okay IMO.

Personally, I think that Cayman diving is better than Belize, but there are many differing opinions on that subject. On Brac you should see healthy, beautiful reefs, lots of sea life, loads of groupers and turtles, some sharks, and lots of other creatures such as morays and barracuda.

We love CBBR, but you look like a younger person compared to us, and it is a quiet place and not much of a night spot, if that is of interest? The resort is great, the food is delicious, and Reef Divers is an excellent dive op.

Will you be traveling single occupancy or double? I'm asking because it can make a big difference in the price at many resorts, but @scubadada did a single trip to CBBR last October and they were offering single occupancy at a good price, see the link below.

You will get 3 dives per day, including the Russian Frigate wreck, and possibly a couple of night dives during the week. If the weather cooperates you can probably dive 2 tanks off of Little Cayman's Bloody Bay Wall from CBBR.

Since you are sort of a new diver, traveling with a group from your local dive shop may be a good way to meet other divers and could be helpful when planning trips in the future.

Cayman Brac Beach Resort/Reef Divers Oct 23-30, 2017

Last edited:
Here is information about the single diver special that that Clearly Cayman resorts, including CBBR, have offered in the past. If you will be traveling singly you might want to ask about it, because they may be offering it again.

http://www.clearlycayman.com/

thumbnail_ClearlyCaymanSingle2018.jpg

Here is information about the single diver special that that Clearly Cayman resorts, including CBBR, have offered in the past. If you will be traveling singly you might want to ask about it, because they may be offering it again.

http://www.clearlycayman.com/

View attachment 464516

Thanks kathy, will read thru....

Btw I'm 45 and don't drink, love island Food though lol. ... travel alone since my wife and child aren't divers.

Thanks kathy, will read thru....

Btw I'm 45 and don't drink, love island Food though lol. ... travel alone since my wife and child aren't divers.

If you consider the Clearly Cayman resorts (CBBR, LCBR, or CCGCR) be sure to ask what they will offer a single diver, because they have given single-diver specials in the past, especially during the fall which is a slower season.

Here are a couple of other places that offer single specials that you might want to consider. I think that the pricing will work out to be about the same. Although Anthony's Key appears cheaper and includes more, the price doesn't include the 19% staff or hotel service charges and it is usually more expensive to fly to Roatan than Grand Cayman. They both probably charge extra for Nitrox.

Sunset House Cayman Singles Special!

Jul 1, 2018 to Oct 31, 2018

Sunset House Cayman Singles Special

Sunset House Resort – Grand Cayman

From $1,991.10 for 7 nights

Sunset House offers many amenities for the diving and snorkeling enthusiast. With a variety of mid-bracket rooms, a quiet cruise-ship-free location on a rocky shoreline renowned for its shore diving, and only a 15 minute walk from downtown, the highly-recommended Sunset House is sure to please even the most avid diver. More about Sunset House here...

Tackling Being a Diver as a Single Traveler

Courtyard room: US$1,991.10 per person (single occupancy)

Ocean view room: US$2,357.03 per person (single occupancy)

7 nights with 6 days of diving, Breakfast, Transfers from and to GCM, Welcome Drink and Gift and all Tax and Service Charges

Valid for travel during the months of July, August, September & October 2018.

Sunset House Dive & Non-Dive Packages - Packages contain diving (if dive package), Breakfast, Transfers from and to GCM, Welcome Drink and Gift and all Tax and Service Charges.

Buy One Get on Free Roatan Vacation Packages | Anthony's Key Resort

Anthony’s Key Resort, Roatan, Honduras

Buy-1-Get-1-FREE Special ($1649 to $2499 plus 19% tax and hotel service charges)

7-Night Resort Package

What’s Included—
7-Nights Hotel Accommodations
Full American Meal Plan (3 Meals Daily)
Airport Transfers
Return Flight Reconfirmation
Welcome Island Cocktail and Orientation
Admission to Roatan Museum
Kayaking & Stand-Up Paddle
Day Excursion to Maya Key
Island Fiesta Night on the Key

Travel dates December 29, 2018 – December 21, 2019.

Last edited:
You should use your aa miles to fly into miami and then fly directly into Cayman Brac on the cayman air 737. If your final destination is Cayman Brac, you want to avoid the grand cayman puddle jumpers at all costs. The difference in price / points is about the same.

We do both shore and boat diving on Cayman Brac. Our next trip is 28 July to 4 August. We rent out a big house with many sections for our shop customers. We go to the grocery stores and eat in the pizza places.

The shore diving is WAY better than Bonaire. The boat diving with the exception of going to little cayman are mostly the same sites as the shore diving. The dive shops will not go to some of the better shore diving sites that are easily accessible by car. I don’t think there is much shore diving in Belize. We have only gone from the boat there.

Don’t go in November, December, January, or February unless you want to take a chance.

You should use your aa miles to fly into miami and then fly directly into Cayman Brac on the cayman air 737. If your final destination is Cayman Brac, you want to avoid the grand cayman puddle jumpers at all costs. The difference in price / points is about the same.

We do both shore and boat diving on Cayman Brac. Our next trip is 28 July to 4 August. We rent out a big house with many sections for our shop customers. We go to the grocery stores and eat in the pizza places.

The shore diving is WAY better than Bonaire. The boat diving with the exception of going to little cayman are mostly the same sites as the shore diving. The dive shops will not go to some of the better shore diving sites that are easily accessible by car. I don’t think there is much shore diving in Belize. We have only gone from the boat there.

Don’t go in November, December, January, or February unless you want to take a chance.

Why do you avoid the smaller planes? My husband loves the twin otters and always hopes they will be our transport. I don't much care what type of plane we fly. It's such a short trip from GC to CB or LC, but you have a better chance of getting your luggage on time if you are on a bigger plane like a jet or a turboprop. But when you are flying to Little Cayman, you have to take a twin otter, their airport can't take the larger planes.

If I had to be in a foxhole with an airplane.....it would be the Twin Otter! Great bird.....they also have/had the Saab 340 too.

If I had to be in a foxhole with an airplane.....it would be the Twin Otter! Great bird.....they also have/had the Saab 340 too.

Have you tried taking a twin otter from St. Martin to Saba? The Sabans claim to have the shortest commercial runway in the world; but it's plenty of room for a twin otter!

Last edited:
You should use your aa miles to fly into miami and then fly directly into Cayman Brac on the cayman air 737. If your final destination is Cayman Brac, you want to avoid the grand cayman puddle jumpers at all costs. The difference in price / points .

Good point, lemme check rates from Miami.

All ,
Well don't get me wrong...i love planes, as long as cayman air has good safety record I'd love the otter!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom