Travel diving and being led around by "divemasters"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my worst guiding experiences was a night dive at Black Rock. This is a shallow wall with some areas having rockfall rubble, all thinly covered by coral. When diving as a drift, from North to South, my briefing is that we will meander back and forth over the rubble, alternating between the base of the wall and the max 30' deep sand. I ask to be informed of each divers tank getting to "half" (1500 psi) and tell my charges that we "need to" make it around the "point" by 700 psi, because there is often opposite current there, so I may pick up the speed around 1200 psi.

This buddy pair was a well insulated but spunky daughter and her more insulated dad with less spunk. He did not like the shallow surge / reflection near the wall so he stayed at the sand rubble line the whole dive. He did not signal half / 1500; I had to ask at 35 minutes and he was at 1200. I wrote on my slate that we needed to pick up the pace, and as described in my briefing I started pulling with my hands in the sand to get around the point, he did not use his hands. Just as we were rounding the point, 30 yards from calm protected bottom and surface water, he decides he has to surface because he is at 500 psi.

It took another 40 minutes for me to tow him in to shore, after first swimming nearly 200 yards away from the wall, with him whining profanely the whole time. When we got to shore he rolled over onto the tank and removed all gear in the deep sand and then stormed away to his car. His daughter apologized profusely for her dad, told me it was one of her best dives ever, and I told her thank you and to just leave her gear on the beach sidewalk.

I'm damn lucky his ticker didn't blow a gasket. I had to continually remind myself of that fact during the hour it took me to get all the gear back to my truck, the hour it took me to clean the gear, and when I had to use my Debit Card to pay for my Pau hana beer at midnight. :idk:

Brother, I'll buy you a beer. Wow. You deserve it.

I echo your exact sentiments...I too like to take a go slow approach rather than just dashing about everywhere, it just drives me crazy not to mention needlessly consumes your air for no apparent benefit. There is absolutely no reason to start swimming at breakneck speed during a dive..just pointless. QUALITY not quantity...

When you speak of the constant banging you heard its not because they are getting a kick out of annoying you but instead are trying to allow those once a year divers the opportunity to see a shark they may otherwise miss. A manta they may never see again and so on.

Noisemakers irritate the crap outta me underwater. They should be used sparingly ... preferably only for emergencies. I don't see a need to use them constantly ... particularly to point out a shark or manta ray ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Noisemakers irritate the crap outta me underwater. They should be used sparingly ... preferably only for emergencies. I don't see a need to use them constantly ... particularly to point out a shark or manta ray ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I find it even worse when theire used to point out a moray or a tuna. Kinda makes sure you wont be able to point out any sharks because youve already scared them off..

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I hear you Bob. Last week while diving in Roatan, one diver on our boat had a 'quacker'. On the first dive he started quacking away at anything and everything. Back on the boat he said, didn't you here me I was trying to get your attention. I replied, I heard you the first time and plugged my ears after that, those things are annoying.

If I miss a ray, shark or nudi, that's my fault.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom