Travel Patterns of American Dive Travelers ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would guess that about 75% of my diving is "local", if you define that by diving that doesn't involve an overnight stay anywhere.

Of the rest, about half would be travel up and down the west coast of North America, and half would be international (MX disproportionately represented).

98% within driving distance (generally an 800 mile radius).

The rest is from cruise ships in the winter.

flots.

Last edited:
how would you define travel?

My local place for diving is 70 miles away, and sometimes I will camp for the night. Next weekend, I will be driving 200 miles to dive some wrecks in Lake Superior. In the past, I have driven 400 miles to Bonne Terre, MO.

So, if I consider local to be within 100 miles:

Local: 40%
In USA: 30%
Outside USA: 20%

Mine looks something like this:

Local: 0%
In USA: 50%
International: 50%

Going forward, I expect to add a few local dives a year. International percentage will probably increase, too, as more of my dive travel is to outside the country than inside the country.

Local - I can't remember the last time I dove in our local quarry but it's been years.
In US - Maybe 10 to 15% of my dives are off the coast of NC
Outside US - 90% of the diving I do has been in the Caribbean or Pacific areas. Mostly Caribbean. For me, when I factor in the cost per dive, it's hard to beat the value found in the Caribbean.

Not sure how you will get any useful data out of this, but...
1. 524 (27.3%)
2. 292 (15.2%)
3. 1,099 (57.4%)

#1. Operative word "required". This includes dive sites within a day's travel even if we opted to stay over for multiple days of diving. Typically one or two dives per day would be the norm.

#2. Most charters in the USA are 2-tank dives - few opportunities to pile on dives like there are in many foreign destinations. There are exceptions (Panama City, West Palm), but the norm is a couple of dives per day.

#3. Number is highly skewed due to number of dives per day on most trips. Where most "local" diving is one or two dives per day, foreign travel - especially live-aboards - are 4 and 5 dives per day as you don't have the travel time to/from the dive site, time wasted finding/cooking meals, or time cleaning gear. Dive, eat, dive, nap, dive, eat, dive, sleep, etc.

Hello guys:

I am just trying to figure out the travel patterns of American dive traveler. Can everyone tell me ever since you started diving:

1). How many of your dives were local dives (not requiring travel / over night stay somewhere else) 3

2). How many of your dives required you to travel within USA? 26

3) How many of your dives required you to travel outside USA? 22

Thanks -

:coffee:

51 dives total

answers in red
Hello guys:

I am just trying to figure out the travel patterns of American dive traveler. Can everyone tell me ever since you started diving:

1). How many of your dives were local dives (not requiring travel / over night stay somewhere else)
0%

2). How many of your dives required you to travel within USA?
20%

3) How many of your dives required you to travel outside USA?
80%

Thanks -

:coffee:

% ?

1) .05%
2) 0
3) 99.95%

I'm too old to be cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom