Travel (single tank) wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the extensive reply. I was (am) looking at either the Travel or Voyager Dive Rite plus one of their weight system (DR Travel Weight Pockets or the { 16 lb | 7.3 kg } or { 32 lb | 14.5 kg } Quick Buckle weight systems). Maybe one additional Dive Rite pocket for the misc. gear (mask or torch). I assume there are enough D-rings for warm water diving (reel; gauge; current hook; light).
I quickly looked at the Light Monkey. This is traditional Wing / Hogarthian harness.
Glad to read you got a good price on the Halcyon. Here the "peanuts" are quite expensive!!

+1 for the TransPac - I've been diving one for a few years and the are light, sturdy and very comfortable. I too use the 16 lb QB weight pockets and there's not enough room on the waist belt to accommodate an additional pocket (I mount the weight pockets horizontally - if mounted vertically, there's plenty of space); a buddy is diving with a DiveRite thigh pocket and am considering it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I started the post with two choices and now have about 10!!

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 03:03 PM ----------

The Halcyon wing is a "cut above" the rest and is designed a bit different. I use the Infinity and can really tell a difference from previous wings I have dove. Look at the cut of the wing, you may notice a slight taper towards the bottom and a tad longer. This is done for a reason to support the tank better and create a better balance for the diver. Well worth it for quality of material and design.

@seacobra: What is the difference between the eclipse and the infinity? (Single tank diving only with this one)

The Infinity and Eclipse refer more to the systems; Eclipse comes with standards harness and mc storage pack, Infinity comes with the quick adjust cinch harness, padded backpad and shoulder straps

I have a DIR-Zone set I'm very happy with. (750g Aluminium BP plus 14L wing). I bought the Halcyum ABC weight pockets since I don't like a belt. I don't like them either though...

The Hog Wing is great. It has cam band slots and a built in STA, so your don't need to buy that OR have the weight while traveling. Oh, and new it is less then a used Halycon. :)

Looks very simple and streamlined. Do you use weightpockets on the waist belt and if yes which ones?

If using weight pouches is there still space for one "accessory" pocket? Light can be attached onone of the D-Ring and SMB probably in a pouch on the back plate. Much more is not needed.

---------- Post added May 9th, 2014 at 01:50 PM ----------

I have a DIR-Zone set I'm very happy with. (750g Aluminium BP plus 14L wing). I bought the Halcyum ABC weight pockets since I don't like a belt. I don't like them either though...

One reason why I would rather biuy a complete system as I do not want to test and try too long until all fits well!!

Grüsse aus der Schweiz!

Well, the DIR-Zone BP/W is a nice set comparable to Halcyon's but much cheaper without compromising quality. The problem with the weights is independent from the BP/W and you will have to find a solution that fits you...

Looks very simple and streamlined. Do you use weightpockets on the waist belt and if yes which ones?

If using weight pouches is there still space for one "accessory" pocket? Light can be attached onone of the D-Ring and SMB probably in a pouch on the back plate. Much more is not needed.

QUOTE]

I use BC/Harness Weight Pocket

It's too bad H doesn't sell their traveler wings separate from the stupid plastic BP traveler system, because they look almost identical to my old Pioneer 27, which is a fantastic wing for tropical water even if you want to carry the extra weight of a pony, deco tank, can light, DPV, etc., which would be a bit much for the DSS 17 I think.

I own a HOG32, a DSS LCD30, and an OXY MachV 30. While I love my HOG32 for just about everything and it gets 90% of my use, the DSS LCD 30 is an even narrower profile (though taller) if that matters to you. The MachV is even narrower, but "bulkier" in terms of packing. The DSS would likely be my choice if travel was the intent.

All three have built in "STA" devices.....

As for pockets, one is on my WS, and the DR Thigh Pocket is useful. I also use XS weight pockets on all my rigs where necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom