Travel with Personal Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. I'll probably end up taking my whole reg set up. As for the gentleman that asked about a FFM failure, I am able to still utilize a standard reg at least long enough to safely get to the surface including a deco stop. I've dove a couple times since the surgery and I start to lose my bite about 30 to 40 minutes into the dive. At which point, I start to inhale water as I unintentionally break the seal around my regulator. Not an overall enjoyable experience.

I'd say the extra weight for your full rig is minimal. For me, I'd take my whole rig. I know the history, the maintenance, and as one has mentioned, I've been pretty glad the desk clerk isn't the tech while in some cases the desk clerk IS the tech and then I worry. I'm always glad to have my own stuff when it comes to being able to breath under water. Consider the extra weight vs being able to breath. Not much of a choice

I'm always glad to have my own stuff when it comes to being able to breath under water. Consider the extra weight vs being able to breath. Not much of a choice

Not having great performance from your FFM would be aggravating at best and undivable at the worst.
Take the whole set and you're golden.
I LOVE breathing underwater. (I take 2 sets that I own on every dive for that very reason.)

Cheers, Kevin

Just a thought ...
Consider using a QD fitting on the FFMs second stage inlet.
You cold then disconect it from the first stage and hoses, wrap them up and stow them, well-padded, inside the FFM for travel.

Just a thought ...
Consider using a QD fitting on the FFMs second stage inlet.
You cold then disconect it from the first stage and hoses, wrap them up and stow them, well-padded, inside the FFM for travel.

I have heard this from a couple guys. It's a good idea. I've also heard about putting a swivel mount onto the regulator (and then the QD fitting on the swivel). Is that necessary if my 1st stage is a swivel? It seems redundant to me but maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet to see the wisdom of it.

Just curious if you tried moldable mouthpiece or something like the Comfobite? Both of those let me retain the second stage without clamping down.

I used to get headaches from jaw fatigue because I just naturally bite too hard and both the moldable mouthpieces and the Comfobite work without having to to use as much jaw pressure. With a moldable, my jaw can stay slack and loose and the mouthpiece is secure just by the fit around my teeth. Comfobite has a tab that rests against backside of top teeth and works the same way.

Lot cheaper than a FFM if it works for you.

Just curious if you tried moldable mouthpiece or something like the Comfobite? Both of those let me retain the second stage without clamping down.

I used to get headaches from jaw fatigue because I just naturally bite too hard and both the moldable mouthpieces and the Comfobite work without having to to use as much jaw pressure. With a moldable, my jaw can stay slack and loose and the mouthpiece is secure just by the fit around my teeth. Comfobite has a tab that rests against backside of top teeth and works the same way.

Lot cheaper than a FFM if it works for you.

No, I haven't tried a moldable mouth piece. It was my doctor (who is also a dive master) that suggested that I transition to a FFM. He really didn't seem to like the idea of me holding things in my mouth for long periods of time. He also suggested a FFM for snorkeling too (although I really have my reservations with those after reading a lot of articles about their inability to properly flush CO2 from inside the mask). I'll talk to him about a moldable mouth piece and see what he says about those. Thanks!

I frequently travel with my FFM and conventional rigs as carry-ons and don't quite follow the difficulty or question of even doing so; and would certainly refuse to use the typical crap regulators that are part of liveaboard rental fleets.

Take your entire rig, since some integral FFM regulators work -- Poseidon comes to mind -- at somewhat greater intermediate pressures than some others . . .

I have heard this from a couple guys. It's a good idea. I've also heard about putting a swivel mount onto the regulator (and then the QD fitting on the swivel). Is that necessary if my 1st stage is a swivel? It seems redundant to me but maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet to see the wisdom of it.
The Ball Swivels or Swiveling Elbows (90° or 110°/70°) are used for reducing hose-induced torque on the mouthpiece and/or optimizing hose routing.
Of course, they add more weight, lever arm, and complexity.

With a FFM, they would really only be useful for routing purposes. You'ld need to decide on the tradeoffs are warranted for your style.

QD could go on either the hose side or the 2nd stage side of a swivel, depending on whaf you are trying to accomplish.

If I'm going to be at the same destination, or more than one destination "close" by, I bring all my gear except tanks and weights. If I'm backpacking to several different destinations, I use rental gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom