Traveling to/from Cozumel with a Canister Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Going to Cozumel next month. We will be flying into Cozumel and doing the bag drag to Cancun for our return flight.

We are going over to Playa Del Carmen for a day to do some cenotes and I am planning to bring my canister light. Are there are any tricks I should be aware of? Is it a safe bet to just pack in in checked luggage both ways?

My can light is a Deep 6 canister light, don't have the exact rating of the battery at the moment, but it's a bit on the large side.

Anyone have any experience traveling to/from Cozumel or Cancun with a can light?

Thanks in advance!

If anything, it needs to be in carry-on

I would try asking the shop if they will let you borrow one.

When we travel we have 100lbs of checked bags which probably consists of 70 lbs of dive gear, 20 lbs for my better 1/2 and 10 lbs for me. On top of that I bring a carry-on which contains our "Must haves - can't get lost" that contains masks, booties, regs and DC's, camera & housing, and dive lights. From what I understand, lipo batteries are fine anywhere so long as they are IN A DEVICE THAT USES THEM or housed in an "approved" battery transport container for air travel.

Upon leaving Coz a few years ago airport staff tried to take 4 rechargeable batteries away from me that were perfectly placed in a sealed, yet non-air-approved battery holding tray. I pulled the batteries out and clipped them into the charger and said "now they are in a device". No issue and off I went even though they were now in a charger and were far less secure!

I just spent 10 days in Cozumel and flew back last Sunday. I had 3 can lights and just put them in my carryon. They didn't blink an eye at Dulles. Coming back the Mexican TSA guys pulled them out and ran them through the xray seperately. My buddy had some alkaline Duracell batteries and for whatever reason that bothered them. He had to put them in his checked luggage. It is always a crap shoot but I am guessing it won't be an issue.

Take it on carry-on. That is how I travel to/from Cancun and Cozumel when I have my can light.

I have an older Light Monkey 35W HID that doesnt have battery rating on it and it's been fine.

Take it on carry-on. That is how I travel to/from Cancun and Cozumel when I have my can light.

I have an older Light Monkey 35W HID that doesnt have battery rating on it and it's been fine.

Thanks. That is reassuring.

I've always got at least one can light in my carry on. The only time I've ever had any issues have been in the US, with the TSA goons. The good folks in Mexico don't bat an eye.

For the record, I have never had a problem with TSA "goons". Maybe I have just been lucky, but they have always been at least civil with me and most of them have been cheerful and reasonable. It sucks that they have to be there at all, and I'm sure they have their share of stress to deal with. I wouldn't want that job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom