traveling with baby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the OP is concerned about taking the baby to Mexico, but rather leaving it ashore for hours while she goes diving. The issue of a minor crossing international borders with only one parent is a valid one as well; she may have to prove single parent custody to the airline.

I left my child with a babysitter in Los Angeles this winter vacation. A babysitter there is just as unknown to me as one in Mexico. I did my best to interview candidates, figure out who I would like, and set clear expectations.

Flying with a minor is a pretty clear process- if there is a second custodial parent, you need a letter.

If the OP is into youtube; I'd recommend looking up "The Bucket List Family". They travel with their very young children. Although they don't give a ton of kids travel trips, they show it can be done. I know they utilize hotel kids clubs and babysitters frequently, as both parents scuba dive. They have, at times, traveled with a hired nanny, but they don't always. Their trips to Tonga are particularly amazing with me. Their 5 year old was able to snorkel with humpback whales!

Twice I've had the mother of my child babysitting for my divers hahaha

I've tried hard to convince a person I know with a degree in Child Development to move to Cozumel and start a Day Care for children of divers. She thinks I'm nuts. Well, I know she's right, but I still think that could potentially take off once word spread.

What if something were to happen to you while diving? You are now a mother first and a diver second. Leave your infant with grandma or grandpa in the states and enjoy your trip. If that's not an option, I say postpone the trip a few years when it isn't so risky and so complicated.
There are so many what-ifs you could worry about, but I admire this single mom's attitude wanting to take her. My daughter already had a family cruise booked when she got temporary custody of my great-granddaughter (complicated), pretty big trip including a few days in NYC, but the cruise line would not allow a baby under a year old. None of the family could fill the need. She found a great temporary nanny, recent college grad in an associated field, totally free while waiting on a job to start, who was great with the child. I might agree on waiting until the child was at least a year old, but eight months seems old enough if taking the baby seems best.

Just don't let the dingo eat your baby...
You know that was a true story? A dingo took a baby on a camping trip, the mother was not believed, went to jail for years, only recently being vindicated.

I've tried hard to convince a person I know with a degree in Child Development to move to Cozumel and start a Day Care for children of divers. She thinks I'm nuts.

Good point, the need for dependable infant/toddler care for dive tourists is a 'thing.' It comes up in forum threads from time to time. If an operator in a busy destination like Cozumel, Bonaire or one of the Roatan places (e.g.: Anthony's Key) became a well known 'brand' name with an impeccable rep., they could attract some business.

Illness for young children is sadly also a 'thing.' On cruises, our little girl has twice been to the Infirmary; once for bronchitis bad enough to need antibiotics and inhaler treatment (which little bitty toots don't like if ours was typical), and once for severe impetigo (got its start from life jacket chafing, and spread badly; more antibiotics!).

That sort of thing is why our first 'scuba trip disguised as a family vacation' with her was to Key Largo, because I knew U.S. health care would be reachable.

Richard.

This was posted on Tripadvisor this am:
Just returned from Cozumel and had a GREAT babysitter experience (found sitter through a referral from an earlier Trip Advisor forum post regarding babysitterinparadise.com- which I was unable to connect to). Her name is Rosely Cauich Rodriguez and the best way to contact her is via Whatsapp +51-1-987-100-3325. Alternatively, her email is rosely.czm@gmail.com. she is wonderful, speaks Very good English and was an absolute pro with my 2-year old Daughter (while we left for 4 hours to visit Punta Del Sur). Footnote: My parents returned early and witnessed part of her connection with our Daughter. They said our Daughter was riveted by Rosely, as shewas sitting at the table singing, coloring and talking the entire time. **Rosely has given me permission to post her contact information

I did NOT know the dingo truly ate the baby!

zman - thanks for posting the babysitter info! I found one from an old tripadvisor post (5 years ago) and contacted the woman. Luckily her email still worked and she responded. She is an American, married to a Mexican and has been living in Cozumel for 11 years. She provided me with 4 references, who I contacted and got responses from. I feel pretty good about her. I will keep Rosely in mind as well; thanks so much.

Richard - I'm also thinking about the Keys for the same reasons. But, I remember looking into it a while ago and it seemed pretty expensive (diving and hotels). Also, since I've been to Cozumel many times, it's easy for me (well, without baby) and I know the drill. Now I'm deciding whether to stay at Blue Angel where I've always stayed (and get a ground floor room and be able to go out by the pool with the monitor while he naps inside), or stay closer to town, or further from town with the sandy beaches.

Thanks, all, for your replies!

I did NOT know the dingo truly ate the baby!
I suppose that the comedy writer knew the story even if much of the show's audience didn't. "At first, Azaria’s mother, Lindy Chamberlain, was convicted of murdering her daughter and was sent to prison."
Death of Azaria Chamberlain - Wikipedia

That case has nothing in common with the challenges you'll deal with, and I expect your trip will become a great experience. Take lots of photos of the baby around town to show later on.

Definitely get the ground floor room. That is what we did and hung by the pool while he slept for 3 hours each afternoon.

One other question along with this: for those of you that have traveled with babies, do you think a week would be too long for us? Is 5 days more ideal? I'd like to go for a week but don't know if it will be challenging to be out of our element for that long. thanks

We did 8 nights and loved it. Our son is very chill and had a great time in town each night. He was well entertained.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom