Tri-Lam vs Neo pro con list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinerd

Contributor
Reaction score
I have looked on the board for a breakdown of the pros and cons for the different materials for dry suits. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.
Andrew

skinerd:
I have looked on the board for a breakdown of the pros and cons for the different materials for dry suits. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.
Andrew

Well.... it kind of breaks down in the three competing factors.

- insulation
- durability
- buoyancy issues (amount of weight, loss of buoyancy at depth)

Thick neoprene like 7mm insulates well, it's very durable and terrible for your buoyancy, especially on deep dives

Materials like crushed or compressed neoprene (4mm or 2mm) are very tough have slightly better buoyancy characteristics than 7mm neoprene but don't insulate as well as thick neoprene.

Materials like trilaminate and vulcanized rubber etc are more prone to developing small leaks and they don't insulate at all but are ideal in terms of buoyancy.

There are some secondary considerations too like how much the suit weighs, how fast it drys, ease of repair etc etc which might be relevant for particular applications.

That's a start.

R..

If you dive in the Northern latitudes a 7mm is going to be your choice, as you probably know. Also, wetsuits just don't last, don't expect them to. Regardless of any material, make sure that the suit that you buy FITS you. A good custom suit should no more than $350.

A good breakdown for Northern climates (wet and dry suits):here.

skinerd:
Andrew

Light weight trilam like the kind the DUI uses, when you wear it on land and when walking in tothe surf it felp like wearing street cloths. My Bare trilam is much heavier. The trilams are "baggy" and offer of drag when you swim.

Neoprene is more treamlines but I think it has a shortter life, just like a wetsuit but then they are less expensive then the other drysuits.

Crushed neoprene is kind of half way between

ChrisA:
Neoprene is more treamlines but I think it has a shortter life, just like a wetsuit but then they are less expensive then the other drysuits.

Neoprene drysuits generally have a fabric covering on them that makes the material much more robust than a wetsuit.

In my experience, crushed or compressed neoprene is the most robust material used for making drysuits.

R..

From my experience, Neoprene drysuits can be much more restricting in movement then shell or trilam suits. Try both on at your LDS and see what is most comfortable for you. I've dove with my trilam and insulated layered undergarmets to temps in the mid-30's F and have been comfortable.

7mm Neoprene vs. trilam advantages:

-more streamlined
-more durable (neo stretches, trilam does not)
-more insulation in the event of a tear
-1/5 the cost in some cases
-less thermals required

7mm Neoprene vs. trilam disadvantages:

-requires more weight
-will compress at depth resulting in greater negative buoyancy and less thermal protection which must be managed.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom