Trimix computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spacemanspiff1974

Contributor
Reaction score
Something I don't understand...

There are computers out there that do multiple gas switching, air integration, heart rate monitoring, wireless transmission etc. etc. etc.

So why is it that there are (currently) only 3 available trimix capable computers - cochran 20H, VR3 and HS explorer? I know a lot of trimix divers use vplanner, but it seems to me that it wouldnt be that hard to for a manufacturer to program a trimix code into these computers.

No.. I don't think it is a rocket science. There is no big market yet.

Most tech gear manufactures are very small business. And, major scuba manufactures don't produce any complete tech line yet except the recent Hollis from Oceanic. For example, Do you think ScubaPro doesn't have a brain to make some tech gears. Their Uwatec BT is still most popular BT in the market.

That is, there is no enough big pie and attraction to jump in from major manufactures.

Tech market is growing trend so that it is more likely to be "demand and supply" mood.

Just my 2 bar.

So why is it that there are (currently) only 3 available trimix capable computers - cochran 20H, VR3 and HS explorer? I know a lot of trimix divers use vplanner, but it seems to me that it wouldnt be that hard to for a manufacturer to program a trimix code into these computers.

Try the Shearwater Pursuit (which uses Gap Softwares deco software) and the Liquivision X1 (which uses the same software as V-Planner).

Is the liquidvision out yet? I heard that it was going to be shown at DEMA.

The real point to my question isnt to identify one of the few trimix computers (I have a VR3), but rather, why with all the bells and whistles on so many other computers, nobody has put in the trimix software.

Would it really cost that much for say uwatec to add the software to their computers?

Liquivision X1 just started to deliver their first batch. However, we still have to wait for a long term feedback/review. Their warranty is still one years compared to any major manufactures' warranty coverage (two years to lifetime). That is, Liquivision is also very small company with no doubt.

The real point to my question isnt to identify one of the few trimix computers (I have a VR3),

Exactly....

spacemanspiff1974:
"Would it really cost that much for say uwatec to add the software to their computers?"

Probably not. But there would be some additional cost. And marketing being what it is, there would be some consumers who might not consider the product simply because it is trimix-capable (at some measureable higher cost)...

FWIW...

Doc,

You do realize the number of new divers that post on this board who ask for the very best regulator that will serve them very deep because they "may want to get into tech diving"? It doesnt seem to me like a trimix feature would deter too many people.

I keep thinking of the computers out there that can allow different nitrox mixes. If you are switching gas during a dive, chances are you might be the kind of diver who could also use trimix computers. (unless you ran out of air and had to use your Nitrox spare air to get to the surface).:wink:

Exactly, that is one of the reason why major manufactures don't jump in yet.

I have had the same question for a long time like OP.

Who knows? Some OEM manufactured from China will hit the market in a reasonable price anytime soon.

Look at other gears as well.

Reel, Canister Light, Scooter. BP/W, Regulator It isn't a rocket science at all.

For example, a knock off scooter from China is already competing with Sea-DOO in the market.

Many regulators are also made in Taiwan at this moment. Many major brand BCs are also made in Asia OEM companies.

The VR3 can run a VPM implementation. However, that software will not agree precisely with Vplanner. The X1 implementation of VPM was written by Ross Hemingway, the same person who wrote Vplanner. "Live Vplanner" as he calls it has the identical algorithm.

Since most mix divers plan their dives and run based on the results of a topside program (using a computer as backup, not the primary plan), it is very convenient to have the two agree.

FWIW, some of the earlier posts tend to underestimate what it takes to implement a 3-gas, near real-time algorithm in a wrist computer. Bubble models (e.g., RGBM, VPM, etc.) are complicated, more difficult to program, and require more computing power than tissue models (e.g., Buhlmann).

Final thought...when I trust my life to a piece of h/w I want to be darn sure it's been properly tested, vetted, etc. I'm anxious to purchase an X1, but waiting for a few batches and a lot more dives prior to shelling out the money. I most certainly am not going to purchase any fly-by-night knockoffs, regardless of where they are manufactured. If my reg fails, I have a totally redundant backup. If I blow my planned tables and my computer gives me bad deco info, I have no way of knowing that (other than experience) and run risks I choose not to!

Who knows? Some OEM manufactured from China will hit the market in a reasonable price anytime soon.

Look at other gears as well.

Reel, Canister Light, Scooter. BP/W, Regulator It isn't a rocket science at all.

For example, a knock off scooter from China is already competing with Sea-DOO in the market.
Just what we need. A Chinese generic Trimix computer. Divers will be lining up to save a few bucks and be the first to test out a proprietary helium algorithm worked out on a chalk board somewhere in Guangzhou. . .

Back
Top Bottom