Trimix in Japan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
OK - here is one that I've been saving up. Not that I'm certified for it or anything - but someone mentioned that Trimix was illegal in Japan - is that true?

KimLeece:
OK - here is one that I've been saving up. Not that I'm certified for it or anything - but someone mentioned that Trimix was illegal in Japan - is that true?

That might have been me. I was talking with someone who seems to know the scene here pretty well, and I belive I recall hi saying that it was illegal...

Is that enough of a backpedal????

I believe "TJO" is out of town now, but he would be the one to know. "Mar Scuba" might know as well.

For those interested in deep air diving, TJO now has a connection for an IZU dive that can provide doubles and nitrox, or perhaps even oxygen for deco (I'm not sure about the oxygen).

JAG

jagfish:
That might have been me. I was talking with someone who seems to know the scene here pretty well, and I belive I recall hi saying that it was illegal...

Is that enough of a backpedal????

I believe "TJO" is out of town now, but he would be the one to know. "Mar Scuba" might know as well.

For those interested in deep air diving, TJO now has a connection for an IZU dive that can provide doubles and nitrox, or perhaps even oxygen for deco (I'm not sure about the oxygen).

JAG
Gotcha!!:D
At least we'll probably find out for sure now. There's not so much point to rushing into Trimix training if you can't use it here. There are a couple of Battleships in Malaysia that I wouldn't mind visiting one day though (HMS Replulse & Prince of Wales)

I have a work-related trip to Thailand coming together in January. In the past, I have been able to stretch it to a week or more, and I am considering doing the TDI advanced nitrox/deco procedures. At on place I am looking, there is even a livaboard option for this course. What a blast that would be. Like 1000 bucks for the courses and 5 days of livaboard, up to 5 dives a day...

Have been thiking about the worth of doing that course at that time. Could just do the livaboad (phuket, Similans) and forget the courses...pocket some cash

JAG

Each prefecture in Japan has its own set of rules for "diving air" although most of them are close. Mixing anything with the plain air is frowned upon and in some places "illegal" but still done. Things are slowly changing and we have just got permission to mix nitrox down here and nothing says we can't put helium in the tank so I didn't ask and took that as permission to put whatever I want in the tanks.
So to answer the question- Trimix may or may not be legal depending on where you are in Japan but most likely its probably not mentioned in the regulations so therefore legal by default but will be very hard to find in Japan except for a few select shops that deal in tech diving.

At least round here in Tokyo but can you afford it?

My instructor tried to get me interested but he knew he lost me as soon as I asked the price of a fill - he quoted me 20,000yen for double 12's. Not sure the mix now but it was not too rich...

Plus you then have to find a skipper that will take you unless you know any deep shore diving...

For the record my instructor does teach tri-mix but he does it as part of a trip to the Phillipines, so what does that tell you?

Jonathan:
At least round here in Tokyo but can you afford it?

My instructor tried to get me interested but he knew he lost me as soon as I asked the price of a fill - he quoted me 20,000yen for double 12's. Not sure the mix now but it was not too rich...

Plus you then have to find a skipper that will take you unless you know any deep shore diving...

For the record my instructor does teach tri-mix but he does it as part of a trip to the Phillipines, so what does that tell you?

Wow, that's an eye opener...
I guess like 180 bucks a fill is not so bad if you compared it to a comparable consumer injustice.

I think I remember you telling me about a TDI instructor here in the Tokyo area...Is this the one?

JAG

no this is the IANTD one - but I don't think he puts much of a margin on the gas... He tends to teach this course in the Phillipines.

I know the high cost of He is the reason some folks here have gotten into RB's, the RB80 namely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom