Trimix in Japan.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$1.45 per ft3 on base. Out in town I have no idea.. Cant be any cheaper than that I would have to assume.

JAG - I think this means a US base like Kadena. As far as I understand it for an outsider to be able to use any US Forces facilities - like diveshops etc. you need to be introduced/sponsered by a serving member of the US Forces based there - I seem to remember that armyscuba offered such an invite to SB members a while ago (but I'm not completely sure - I'll have to check back later) In any event - if you have such a connection then diving in Okinawa can become a lot cheaper than it normally is!! Like I say - I'm not 100% sure of the regulations though.

KimLeece:
JAG - I think this means a US base like Kadena. As far as I understand it for an outsider to be able to use any US Forces facilities - like diveshops etc. you need to be introduced/sponsered by a serving member of the US Forces based there - I seem to remember that armyscuba offered such an invite to SB members a while ago (but I'm not completely sure - I'll have to check back later) In any event - if you have such a connection then diving in Okinawa can become a lot cheaper than it normally is!! Like I say - I'm not 100% sure of the regulations though.

You must have SOFA status and/or and US GOV. Military ID card (Retired/active/reserve/active reserve etc.)

Visitors to the base are just that... Our facilities are NOT for your use.

Well I just tried to check - it wasn't armyscuba - he's in Guantanemo - I'll look it up when I get back from Hawaii......

Yup - found it -

KimLeece:
Hi there! I've dived a couple of trips to the Keramas - good diving! One question - are the US Forces diveshops open to everyone - or just US military?
KadenaJim:
We do any DOD or related folks, locals too as long as they have a certification we recognize. May need a sponser if not DoD, but I work there as the DiveMaster and can generally work that out.
So this is not true?

dsgobie:
You must have SOFA status and/or and US GOV. Military ID card (Retired/active/reserve/active reserve etc.)

Visitors to the base are just that... Our facilities are NOT for your use.

You might be surprised at how many non-military/non-SOFA have use of your facilities...

Once past the gate, some places strictly check ID, many places don't...

There are many instructors teaching Trimix and 'medical' helium is available from all medical gas suppliers. The price is only slightly higher than the int'l. Why is it expensive for divers? High margins in shops... small amount purchased... I do not think it is illegal - but some local dive sites probably don't understand what it is and therefore does not allow it. But I can not see why it should be illegal according to the law as hospitals use it every day in patients.

I asked about Nitrox last Sunday at the shop that we get our air from. Basically he told me the same thing for Oxygen - it's 'medical' Oxygen. Wether you need some kind of medical licence to get it from a supplier I don't know. My guy is very helpful, but his equipment isn't set up to handle mixed gas fills. One problem would be the mixing method - if you can't use pre-mixed gas then you need O2 clean valves and tanks - I very much doubt if that's easy to arrange in Japan!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom