Trip in Two Days: Worried about Batteries at Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked into this awhile back. The TSA / DOT are very concerned about extra Lithium batteries as they burn at very high temperature when they internally short (remember the 787 fleet grounding last year). Here is the info from the TSA website:
“
As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage”

In equipment, OK, out of equipment and in checked luggage, not allowed. The idea being is that if a battery shorts out in carry-on luggage it can be accessed and dealt with as opposed to the cargo hold which has no access in flight.

Mexico got the same warning but does it backwards, no loose Lithium batteries in carry-on but OK in checked luggage. Plus an extra level, since the airports are run by private contractors who take things a little too literally and are very concerned about covering there butt, in Cozumel the contract security does not differentiate between Lithium and non-Lithium batteries, no loose batteries in carry-ons. But you can take lots in the checked luggage.

Not sure which is the better scenario, half way across the Gulf of Mexico: a fire in the cargo hold or Achmed (the not dead yet terrorist) having access to a bunch Lithium batteries to construct an incendiary device.

Side note: I tried an el-cheapo Chinese dive light a couple months back. It flooded due to poor design and the Li-Ion battery cooked off. It was in my BCD pocket and I didn’t realize it but it generated enough heat, under water, to melt the plastic housing and the pocket of my BCD.

It’s pretty simple: US boarded flights, in carry-on. Mexico boarded flights, in checked luggage. Same airline and airplane both ways.

The TSA likes it one way, while the Mexican Security agency that inspects to general TSA standards but their own rules like it another way. Any lose batteries in carry-on will be kept. Lithium batteries are safe in check luggage as long as they are packed safely.

I carry my spare NiMH batteries in plastic containers designed for them, all in my checked bags - both ways.

We each had a SOLA 1200 in each our backpacks along with regs and Atomic Cobalt leaving on Sat and no issues. The SOLA's have 2 locks, pushing the switch forwards for 5 seconds until the lights flash red and then locking the switch by turning it. I believe the 4000 requires the faceplate to be removed.

I carry the Lithium Ion camera batteries in carry on. They are not in the camera. A friend who works for TSA confirmed the Lithium ion carry on bit. The recharchable Nimh batteries checked luggage in a pouch (actually an old mp3 player pouch). I have never had an issue with batteries in the US or Mexico (Cozumel) in many years of doing it this way.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will have the spare GoPro batteries in my carry on going TO Cozumel and put them in the checked baggage on the flight FROM Cozumel.

Now I'm really mixed up...

From the TSA Website: "Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur."

Reference first paragraph on this webpage:
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/safe-travel-batteries-and-devices

Now I don't have a clue where/how to carry my batteries. I typically, put them in the checked individually packaged in small baggies so there's no way for the contacts to touch and hope for the best.

Jim

Now I don't have a clue where/how to carry my batteries. I typically, put them in the checked individually packaged in small baggies so there's no way for the contacts to touch and hope for the best.
There's always the smuggler's route :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom