Trip in Two Days: Worried about Batteries at Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always keep my extra batties in my carry bag, but haven't been to COZ yet. But no problems in or out of cancun. In Japan, I have seen a guy taken out of line to get on the plane by sercurity....when he got on the plane he was sitting near me and I heard him telling his buddy that they went through his suticase(checked) and he had his spare laptop battery in there. A no-no I guess.

Battery experiences vary, but many have lost them from carry-ons in many countries, and Cozumel has explicit sings in English warning against them. Some of you may get away with it, but when you don't - oh well, you were warned.
I'm not sure I agree with Gordon. It's my understanding that batteries are hazardous waste and there are no adequate recycling/disposal facilities on Cozumel or many other third-world dive locales for that matter. I was always taught in such cases to take the batteries back home with me to dispose of properly. I may be mistaken about the current state of battery disposal on the island, but in any case IMO the dive ops should be encouraged to use rechargeables for the cost savings alone.
Used to be true with different batteries , not now with Alkalines. I take all old NiCDs, NiMHs, Lithium of any kind batteries to Radio Shack, along with broken cell phones and cameras for free recycling. They will accept Alkaline batteries and claim to have a recycling program, but I suspect they just do it for show - then trash them.

I take what what I think I would need in the worst case and leave the new and slightly used batteries with the dive shop. They appreciate the batteries and I appreciate the weight removed from my luggage.

Have always done the same, except leave them with the maid

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 10:37 PM ----------

It's my understanding that batteries are hazardous waste and there are no adequate recycling/disposal facilities on Cozumel or many other third-world dive locales for that matter. I was always taught in such cases to take the batteries back home with me to dispose of properly.

I used to follow that logic too, not anymore, when they stop selling batteries in these remote locations to the locals who obviously are using them and creating their own disposable issues, I'll worry about it again. That and when they stop creating their own disposable problem with all the nicads and regular batteries they confiscate at the airport.

Have always done the same, except leave them with the maid.
Why the maid? I leave C batteries with my dive Op as they probably have more use for them, and to save luggage weight. I leave the $12 coffee maker I purchase at Mega with someone at the hotel maybe, or my Op. Really depends on how handy my Op is I guess.

I used to follow that logic too, not anymore, when they stop selling batteries in these remote locations to the locals who obviously are using them and creating their own disposable issues, I'll worry about it again. That and when they stop creating their own disposable problem with all the nicads and regular batteries they confiscate at the airport.
They do add their own battery waste to their landfills I think, but I try to avoid contributing, other than my C alkalines.

Used to be true with different batteries , not now with Alkalines. I take all old NiCDs, NiMHs, Lithium of any kind batteries to Radio Shack, along with broken cell phones and cameras for free recycling. They will accept Alkaline batteries and claim to have a recycling program, but I suspect they just do it for show - then trash them.
I think the biggest problems are with lead, mercury, and cadmium. Alkaline batteries are made with zinc and manganese dioxide components but aren't as much problem. Mercury use has been greatly reduced.

[h=3]Toxic materials[/h] Many types of batteries employ toxic materials such as lead, mercury, and cadmium as an electrode or electrolyte. When each battery reaches end of life it must be disposed of to prevent environmental damage.[48] Battery are one form of electronic waste (e-waste).
E-waste recycling services recover toxic substances, which can then be used for new batteries.[49]
Of the nearly three billion batteries purchased annually in the United States, about 179,000 tons end up in landfills across the country.[50]
In the United States, the Mercury-Containing and Rechargeable Battery Management Act of 1996 banned the sale of mercury-containing batteries, enacted uniform labeling requirements for rechargeable batteries and required that rechargeable batteries be easily removable.[51] California and New York City prohibit the disposal of rechargeable batteries in solid waste, and along with Maine require recycling of cell phones.[52] The rechargeable battery industry operates nationwide recycling programs in the United States and Canada, with dropoff points at local retailers.[52]
The Battery Directive of the European Union has similar requirements, in addition to requiring increased recycling of batteries and promoting research on improved battery recycling methods.[53]
In accordance with this directive all batteries to be sold within the EU must be marked with the "collection symbol" (A crossed-out wheeled bin). This must cover at least 3% of the surface of prismatic batteries and 1.5% of the surface of cylindrical batteries. All packaging must be marked likewise.[54]

Then there's this...
Ingestion

Batteries may be harmful or fatal if swallowed.[55]
Small button cells can be swallowed, in particular by young children. While in the digestive tract, the battery's electrical discharge may lead to tissue damage;[56] such damage is occasionally serious and can lead to death.

You all sure there isn't battery recycling on the Island? I thought there was.
Such the tequila fan. :eyebrow: You can hear anything, but there might be. Let us know if you find a location.

Why the maid? I leave C batteries with my dive Op as they probably have more use for them, and to save luggage weight.

Why not the maid, she certainly isn't as financially well off as anyone at your dive op, I'm sure she has kids with toys, radios etc...

We've donated toys at Christmas time too and it is obvious that many of the population on Cozumel aren't that well off and I'm guessing maids are not ranking in the highest paid jobs on the island.

I'm not interested in scoring points with a dive op, just looking at whom they would impact the most favorably and I don't think for a second it's the dive op.

More than once I've asked the maid a couple of days before we are leaving, on the way out finding her in the hallway about if she would like some batteries, and the look on their faces indicates to me they really, really appreciate them.

Then there's this... "Ingestion

Batteries may be harmful or fatal if swallowed.
So much for my idea of swallowing the spare batteries before going through Mexican security, then "eliminating" and re-packing them in my check-in before going through the TSA line back in Houston :(

---------- Post added March 31st, 2014 at 07:33 AM ----------

More than once I've asked the maid a couple of days before we are leaving, on the way out finding her in the hallway about if she would like some batteries, and the look on their faces indicates to me they really, really appreciate them.
Women do like their battery-operated toys!

""You all sure there isn't battery recycling on the Island? I thought there was.""........(sorry that I don't know how to do the quote thing!)

Even about 15 years ago there was a bin at the front of Chedraui across from the check out lines for dead batteries. I don't know if they still do that but I'd like to think so. I used to dump many batteries there, from friends and clients.

I have been to Cozumel several times and never had a problem with spare batteries in ck bags or carry on with go pro batt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom