Trip in Two Days: Worried about Batteries at Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just out of curiosity...why do you guys lug those instead of rechargeable AA's?

Sometimes people want to use their Christmas presents up in a timely manner....:)

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 09:55 AM ----------

My AA batteries go into a container like this. I have never had a problem with them in my carry on.

View attachment 180795

Love those Eneloops---I make sure now all mine are in cameras/lites when traveling, would hate to see them have to get trashed..........

FWIW, I always bring a lot of AA, C, and D sized alkalines to Cozumel and leave them all there.

FWIW, I always bring a lot of AA, C, and D sized alkalines to Cozumel and leave them all there.

Why the generous actions???......

I used to leave the alkaline batteries. I still leave any C cells I take. I just like having the rechargeable AA's for when I screw up and forget to turn the strobe off when getting out of the pool.

Why the generous actions???......
I take what what I think I would need in the worst case and leave the new and slightly used batteries with the dive shop. They appreciate the batteries and I appreciate the weight removed from my luggage.

I hear ya Diver 85 and dMoore... I LOVE my eneloops and my maha charger. I see your angle to Gordon.

I'm not sure I agree with Gordon. It's my understanding that batteries are hazardous waste and there are no adequate recycling/disposal facilities on Cozumel or many other third-world dive locales for that matter. I was always taught in such cases to take the batteries back home with me to dispose of properly. I may be mistaken about the current state of battery disposal on the island, but in any case IMO the dive ops should be encouraged to use rechargeables for the cost savings alone.

I use rechargeables and make sure they are all 'in' something. my strobe, backup underwater flashlights, chargers...something.

I've never had an issue at the airport, coming or going.

dmoore19: That is how we carried ours and no issue either. But now we live here and don't have to wonder if they will or if they won't on our 3 trips a year.

Maybe instead of taking a 24 pack of alkaline batteries you take 4 rechargeable and a charger to leave behind?

I will if you will.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom