Trip in Two Days: Worried about Batteries at Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I'm really mixed up...

From the TSA Website: "Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage! In the cabin, flight crew can better monitor conditions, and have access to the batteries or device if a fire does occur."

Reference first paragraph on this webpage:
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/safe-travel-batteries-and-devices

Now I don't have a clue where/how to carry my batteries. I typically, put them in the checked individually packaged in small baggies so there's no way for the contacts to touch and hope for the best.

Jim

I saw that same link as well. It comes up when searching on Lithium, Lithium ion and Nimh batteries. It does say all carry on. The last update on that page was Jan 2013. One would think that it would be updated if anything changed. The only thing I can figure is that my friend in TSA in Denver told me after Jan 2013 and I have been to Cozumel 3 times since then. Maybe it's SOP in Denver. I have had TSA notices that the bags which contained Nimh rechargeables, were searched and nothing was said or done (and nothing coming in or out of Mexico) since Jan 2013. The Lithium ion batteries have been in carry on those same trips with no concerns from the x-ray people.

But if that is what the website says some stickler could cause problems. Maybe when you check in, leave a space in the checked bags to put them in. However that is not TSA but the airline counter so.... Getting your bags back after checking them in is a chore (I've done it).

But if that is what the website says some stickler could cause problems. Maybe when you check in, leave a space in the checked bags to put them in. However that is not TSA but the airline counter so.... Getting your bags back after checking them in is a chore (I've done it).
FAA and TSA guidance aren't always consistent, let alone consistent with any foreign airport security rules. They're not so internally consistent in Cozumel either; I've had them check my carry-ons and ignore loose batteries, for instance.

The fact is, when you travel, you might lose stuff. Whether it's confiscated by airport security, stolen by airport baggage handlers, or sent to Timbuktu, stuff happens. Best advice is to keep the valuable stuff with you, insure the valuable stuff you have to check in, and don't buy equipment that uses expensive batteries if you can't afford to occasionally take the hit.

Yep I agree about the confusion. I had 3 spare batteries in a camera case when I flew to and from PDC via Cancun. Mexican security did not bat an eye. I was really surprised that Cozumel security decided to be different.

A friend who works for TSA confirmed the Lithium ion carry on bit.

From the TSA Website: "Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage - not in your checked baggage!"

The TSA controls what goes on planes that take off from the US. Mexican authorities control what goes on planes that take off from Mexico.

They're your batteries, so I don't really care if you lose them or not. My advice is to follow TSA guidelines when leaving the US and to follow Mexican guidelines when leaving Mexico. They key here is that batteries (lithium or not) in devices are not an issue and should definitely be with you in the cabin in all cases. Loose batteries of any sort that you try to carry onto the plane in Mexico may very well be confiscated.

We went to Cozumel and going down there it was no problem in our carry-on. The Mexican Government officials confiscated a brand new unopened package of 24 AA batteries from my A/V case. They WILL confiscate them in carry-on (as of May 2013). They also told us if the batteries had been in our checked luggage they would not have been taken. As for me, next time they will be in my checked luggage.

We just left CZM yesterday (03-29-14). I actually didn't pay much attention to what the official rules were / are... But I can tell you I made it through security with two 24 pack of AA batteries in my carry-on backpack. No hassles from security. Could have been that the person at the scanner wasn't paying attention.

Just returned from CZM again (travel there 2x/year). As always, the spare lithium batteries in my checked bags are taped together with masking tape and then terminal ends taped to prevent any contact or circuit being established AND isolated from other gear. I always have a few spares in carry-on camera bags (also secured with masking tape) with cameras and have never had any confiscation. Previously, I was told by both TSA and the Mexican equivalent, that my method of travel, with any battery, was the safest practice.

There seems to be inconsistency relative to travel with lithium batteries however, in light of the speculation about Malaysian Air 370, some uniform policy may be coming.

Several years ago--maybe 5 or 6-- I had several(?about 6) regular non-rechargable Duracells(loose that I had as extras not in a camera or lites) that were taken @ the last check point before boarding the plane...Had to throw them away in a big garbage can that I made sure were @ the bottom of after chunking.......Looks like things haven't changed much over the last few years........

My AA batteries go into a container like this. I have never had a problem with them in my carry on.

photo.JPG

Back
Top Bottom