Trip Report - 2/2 through 2/9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NancyLynn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finally getting around to posting. Here's what was going on underwater (mostly):

Cozumel February 2008

Need I say more?

Okay, here's a little more:

Second trip to Coz. First was in 2006 with Scuba Club Cozumel in March 2006 - this time with Fiesta Americana.

Both are fine places to stay - personally, I'd probably choose SCC if I were not going with an organized trip which made the selection for me. The rest of my family isn't the diving or drink and sit around the pool type. FA all inclusive includes alcohol, has a glorious pool, but is not within walking distance of San Miguel. The food at FA is more more tailored to North American tastes.

We really enjoyed the local cuisine at SCC, and while I was diving, the rest of my family wandered into town for the day. I also appreciated the balcony gear hangers at SCC, and the somewhat more intimate atmosphere - it either is or feels like - a smaller place.

As for diving, we got diving more tailored to our group at FA (but I was also a single diver at SCC). Once we proved ourselves, we pretty much got to choose where to dive. We did the wreck twice, and Devil's Throat, as well as the standard drift diving. Shore diving was very nice and relaxing (once we got access to air worked out. The scorpionfish and flounder in my slideshow wer from the shore area. Lots of juveniles of all sorts, two different morays. I also did dusk and night dives.

Sorry - no photos from the more exotic dives - too much task loading for me to take a camera on those dives at my level of diving skill, so the pictures of those dives exist in my memory only.

nice pics NancyLynn, I'll be in Coz at the end of March and looking at your pictures is getting me all fired up. Funny thing, this will be my second trip to Coz and I am doing the opposite, first time at Fiesta and this time at SCC. I did plenty of snorkeling in front of FA but never did dive there. Some others have posted that doing shore dives in Coz usually means ending up down current and exiting down sore from where you start, if I recall there was only a slight current at FA but then I didn't go much more than 25 yds from shore. How far out did you venture and was there much current to deal with? I ask as I may wander back down that way for a few shore dives.

Both at SCC and FA we entered and exited from the same location. The surge seemed stronger at SCC, but since there was more chop in general that week than there was the most recent week, so I'm not sure the location made the difference.

We stayed within the marked area - probably not much farther out than 25 yds, but I didn't poke my head up to see where I was. One day the current was bad - but generally just a gentle ebb and flow.

Both at SCC and FA we entered and exited from the same location. The surge seemed stronger at SCC, but since there was more chop in general that week than there was the most recent week, so I'm not sure the location made the difference.

We stayed within the marked area - probably not much farther out than 25 yds, but I didn't poke my head up to see where I was. One day the current was bad - but generally just a gentle ebb and flow.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably try to work in a few shore dives while I'm there. I know a lot of people claim Cozumel doesn't have much to offer for shore diving, but I had a blast just snorkeling, it made me wish I had brought my camera just for the macro stuff.

nice pics NancyLynn, I'll be in Coz at the end of March and looking at your pictures is getting me all fired up. Funny thing, this will be my second trip to Coz and I am doing the opposite, first time at Fiesta and this time at SCC. I did plenty of snorkeling in front of FA but never did dive there. Some others have posted that doing shore dives in Coz usually means ending up down current and exiting down sore from where you start, if I recall there was only a slight current at FA but then I didn't go much more than 25 yds from shore. How far out did you venture and was there much current to deal with? I ask as I may wander back down that way for a few shore dives.

Hey, GK.

The "trick" to shore diving in front of SCC is to start your dives into the current and move slowly. Spend your time looking for small stuff and don't fight the ocean. There's lots to see in the concrete rubble and under the pier. Slowly, work your way along the iron shore, going against the current. There isn't any real reason to go very far away from shore, but you may want to visit the turtle grass areas - again, look for small stuff. When you are down to 1/3 of your air, reverse course and drift (don't swim) back to the entrance/exit. It's easy to do two-hours or more - it's only 20 feet deep along the shore. Night dives are especially neat. Click on my web page below for some pictures of our shore dives at SCC.

Say, "hello" to Wilem, Raymundo, Jesus, Sofia, Mario, and all my friends, for me.

Jim

Hey, GK.

The "trick" to shore diving in front of SCC is to start your dives into the current and move slowly. Spend your time looking for small stuff and don't fight the ocean. There's lots to see in the concrete rubble and under the pier. Slowly, work your way along the iron shore, going against the current. There isn't any real reason to go very far away from shore, but you may want to visit the turtle grass areas - again, look for small stuff. When you are down to 1/3 of your air, reverse course and drift (don't swim) back to the entrance/exit. It's easy to do two-hours or more - it's only 20 feet deep along the shore. Night dives are especially neat. Click on my web page below for some pictures of our shore dives at SCC.

Say, "hello" to Wilem, Raymundo, Jesus, Sofia, Mario, and all my friends, for me.

Thanks for the info Jlyle, and those are some great shots!

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I appreciate my "dive" today enjoying your underwater pictures.

Faboulous pics!!!

My wife and I are planning our first trip there now.

Thanks for the write up.

Thanks!

Enjoy your trip! We spent the last day on rented motor scooters touring the island. Very pleasant way to off-gas, since we couldn't spend it underwater. The previous time we rented a VW bug. Scooters were much more fun. Cost was about $45 for 24 hours' rental.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom