Trip Report: Bahamas 02/10 -02/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonine is great for preventing sea sickness and you only need to take it once or twice a day. No reason to take the chance of getting sick.

Yes I've only taken Bonine once and it worked good that day but the seas were calm so I'm hoping it will work when it's rough. Either way I'm taking a huge supply with me on the trip. I used to use the patches but recently I've started having the blurred/double vision side effect with them. It really makes for a strange dive not being able to see clearly and I was still sick anyway.
Thanks for your input Scuba Mickey.

Read the directions carefully. I forget if the subsequent doses are 1 or 2 pills, but if the seas get rough or are expected to, don't wait. Take the maximum dose. I think it's 2 pills. I was taking only 1 and then one night I felt a little queasy with the movement so I quickly took 2 and it went away. So I recommend staying to the minimum dose the first day or 2 and see how you do.

One day the waves made the boat a bit rocky. A few people got queasy, but no one was really sick. I'm sorry, I don't know much about seasickness medicine as I have never taken any. Your Dr should be a ble to recommend or prescribe you something that won't interfere with your diving.

Regarding luggage; Bahamas Air had mechanical difficulties and delayed the flights by about 2-3 hours going both ways for passengers. Be sure your flight arriving is either in the morning of that day or the day before. Luggage for a liveaboard should be something that is soft (duffel bag) or reduces greatly for storage (collapses for under bed storage). We were asked to unpack and set up the dive gear before bringing the bags to the room. You may want to pack your bags accordingly. The beds had plenty of space beneath them for our stuff as well as large clear totes for you to place clothing for easy access during the trip.

Good information, thanks. I was planning on using a large roller dive bag for the main piece, But I may have to rethink it. My BC, regs, computer, camera, fins, mask, snorkel & camera & a change of clothes will go in a carry-on & a back pack. My buddy & I are arriving on Fri. afternoon & staying the night, so hopefully that's early enough if there is a luggage issue. On the trip home we'll be flying out first thing in the morning on Sat. As for sea sickness, on a large cruise ship, I'll get sick in a heart beat because the ship is so big I can feel, but not really see the motion , which plays big time with my equilibrium. When I was on Blackbeard's last year the boat was so small that I could see & feel the motion, so no sea sickness. I saw what I felt so my equilibrium was in good shape. Hopefully I'll be OK on EV. Jsut Curious, how long is the flight from Nassau to Georgetown? My buddy & I will be arriving in Nassau at 11:40am & leaving for Georgetown at 2:00pm. Will this be a problem for getting through immigration & Changing airlines? Does it take log to get through is what I'm asking, based on your experiences?

I don't know the flight from Nassau to Georgetown, because I flew from Miami to Georgetown. Miami was a poorly organized airport. To compound the problem, no one spoke English. I didn't have any problems with customs/immigration. Customs/immigration was fast in Georgetown.

I understand. Thanks. Even that little bit of info helped a great deal. We are flying Louisville- Orlando- Nassau- Georgetown. Well, hopefully things will go smoothly & we can rest & have a little fun on Fri. before boarding on Sat. Thanks for all your help. Just about a month to go! I'm so excited I can't stand it!

We are flying Charlotte to Nassau arriving at 11:44am in Nassau. Then our flight from Nassau to George Town on Bahamasair doesn't leave until 2:00pm. According to my itenerary it's a 40 minute flight from Nassau to George Town. Hope that helps.

My buddy & I are doing the same flight from Nassau to Georgetown 1 week later. My biggest hope is that luggage doesn't get lost. I'm packing all esential diving gear in my carry on.

That is my same worry (lost luggage). I think we're going to take regs, computers, 1 change of clothes, 1 swim suit in the carry-on. Pack all other clothes and gear in the dive bag. If luggage does get lost I'd rather rent a BC & fins than regulator and computer.
We leave May 4th.

Back
Top Bottom