Trip report Komodo november 2010 with Manguana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
It was my second trip to Komodo. My first trip was a liveaboard with the Mona Lisa (only North and central Komodo) in July 2009. Tha Manguana has the ame owner as Mona Lisa.

Itinerary
North-Komodo, West-Komodo, South-Komodo, South Rinca and then up to north and central Komodo. During our trip from West-Komodo to South Rinca (6days) we didn’t see any other liveaboards. Most other liveaboards offer only North-Komodo, central Komodo and south Rinca.

Boat
Although the Manguana is named as more luxuary then Mona Lisa, I preferred the Mona Lisa. The Manguana is a coverted boat from Sulswesi without masts. Cabins are above deck. Rooms are relatively small but clean with AC, shower and toilet but no sinks. I think this is a little disadvantage. If you want to wash your hands you have to go to your room and use the tap in the shower. Above at the dinner area there are no taps. The area to put your divegear is relatively small.

Crew
Nice and helpful
Food
OK. Breakfast was always the same: eggs, sausages, toast, pancakes. Lunch and dinner: different plates with meat, fish, vegetables, potatoes, rice. The range of dishes was perhaps a little limited. After 5 days the cook started again with the menu of day one.

Equipment
I rented my equipment. That said, this is the last time. I have had a lot of problems with this equipment. At my first night dive my airvalve of my BCD got broken. So it was impossible to balance in the water. Luckily it was not so deep (15m). So I tried to ascend and broke off my dive. The day after I got another BCDjacket and we were diving at Castle rock. Same thing happened at 30m. With the help of my buddy I ascended again. In a ripping current was this not so easy. I was really angry because I could have been involved in serious problems. Earrings of tanks blasted several times during our trip to the divesite. It happened me once at the Cauldron at 18m. I had to stop my dive and ascend…. I hope you understand that after a couple of days my confidence in this equipment was not great anymore. I am experienced, even in good condidtion but there are limits… When at the end of the trip I refused to pay the full amount for the rental of equipment, the owner answered that I had to pay the 100% and if I was not pleased I didn’ have to pay a tip for the crew. I have never heard such a cheap answer. As owner he is responsible for his equipment.

Diveguides
There were 2 diveguides. They knew well the northern and central divesites but knew less of the western and southern sites. Of course this is normal as this itnenarary is done less frequent. A couple of times we had a completely wrong briefing and were dropped at the wrong place. Middle in the blue with no reef in sight. After a couple of days the diveguides decided to check first the currents. That helped….

Highlights
Of course it was all about the diving and this was not disappointing!

Castle rock (North-Komodo)
It is still one of the top sites. During our trip we did 2 dives here. In 2009 I was there in July and viz was better in that period (30m) and I saw then a lot of sharks and dolphins (together). Really amazing! This time viz was maximum 20m. But I saw now a lot of white tips, no dolphins but big school of fishes, thousand neofusilliers, a lot of giant trevally’s, big school of sweetlips . But a lot of current. Some moments we had to shelter behind a big rock to look the spectacle.

Batu belong (North-central Komodo)
Also 2 dives. Very colourfull reef with a lot of fish. I saw a seasnake, several turtles, napoleon wrasse, white tips, dog tooth tunas, a huge scrubbled pufferfish. We entered at the southern side and tried to reach the northern side. Is was really tough because current was very strong.

Karang Makassar (central Komodo)
Last time (in July 2009) I saw only one manta. This time we did 2 dives and there were at least 15 different mantas. It looked like an approach route of airplanes.

Wainilu (central Komodo)
One day dive and one nightdive. Although mostly dead coral this is an interesting place to see critters and it’s almost a ‘kindergarden’ of the Komodo reefs. I saw juvenile barramundi cod, walking frogfishes, bicolor parrotfish, juvenile angelfishes, different types of scorpionfishes, rare nudibranches.

Nisa Island (West-Komodo)
A big rock in the sea. This was a terrific place (equals at least Castle rock and Batu Belong) with tons of fish. We were drifting and during at least 10 minutes I couldn’t see my divebuddies anymore. It was one pink cloud of fish with white tips patrolling. I saw also a very (very) big octopus.

Lankoi rock (South-Komodo)
Most southern and western point of Komodo. Very dramatic underwater landscape like underwatermountains with canyons without much corals. Top of these mountains is about -8m.

End of the world (South Komodo)
Strongest current (even downcurrents) of my divetrip in Komodo. Big schools of trevallies, fusiliers…but also nice nudibranches on the walls. That brings me to the point that handle a camera (I am filming) was sometimes really difficult.

Cannibal rock
Indeed one of the bests. I did 3 dives (morning, afternoon and night). It is really a “fairy tale garden” with beautyfull and colourfull soft corals and sea –apples like Christmas tree decoration but as big as a football. Nudibranches, frogfishes etc.

Conclusion
Komodo is still a top place for diving (altough most popular places like Castle rock, Batu Belong and Makassar can be a little busy). Komodo is a protected area but I saw (at night) al least 30 boats (squidfishing). Crew tols that there is one patrolling boat but this one was broken. Boat was OK but I was disappointed by the unfriendly attitude of the owner towards his customers. Next time I will try probably another one. But first to Raja Ampat!

Hi Danny -

I totally agree about Komodo Cruises, the company that operates Mona Lisa and Mangguana. Dive guides and crew are friendly, smiling, and very overworked, but the management has no organization and gives no support to the boat. Our dive guide had done 4 dives a day, every day, for almost four months without one break.

On our trip, the Komodo Park ranger boarded our boat to check permits. The management had not given a permit to one diver (though she had paid for it), nor had they cleared the boat for departure from the harbor, so the ranger wanted the boat to return to Labuan Bajo to straighten everything out. We would have lost four dives. Somehow the management got the harbormaster to back off, and we stayed out diving.

But one of the consequences of not having everyone permitted, and getting caught by the ranger ... the ranger punches the dive guide in the face! Yes, I am serious; this is a regular occurrence in Komodo. And Hila, our kind, humble, excellent dive guide, got punched in the face by the ranger, because the office in Labuan Bajo screwed up.

When we left the boat and got back to town, I wanted to go to the office and chew them out for allowing that to happen to Hila because of their mismanagement, but it was early morning and they weren't open yet. We went straight to the airport for an early flight.

Anyway, that didn't change the fact that diving in Komodo is world class. I would go back ... with a different company. And if there is a liveaboard out there that needs a truly wonderful dive guide, Hila is your man. He and a well-run liveaboard operation deserve each other.

See you in RA, Danny!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom