Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like Reticulidia halgerda. There are so many varieties of nudis that there are books just for nudi id. Here's a page on Philippine nudis that should help.

Thanks for that link-- very helpful.
There is a site called the Sea Slug Forum that is worldwide and probably the most extensive listing anywhere. Unfortunately for me, everything is listed by scientific and species names and not photo ID. There is no way I am going to find out anything that way.
The Sea Slug Forum - Home Page

Awesome Trailboss!! So happy for you and also, now I'm of the mind to go to Philippines. It hadn't ever been on my big radar before. Thanks so much.

What? You have not been to the PI?
That I can hardly believe from such a well traveled diver as you.

That I can hardly believe from such a well traveled diver as you.

:p

For some reason, I've just kept flying over it on the way to somewhere else.
I think that the closest I've been to PI diving, is Sipidan.

For some reason, I've just kept flying over it on the way to somewhere else.

From a U.S. (or presumably Canadian) perspective, these comments reflect a question well worth asking. Why go to the Philippines? I'm not asking rhetorically or oppositionally; serious question.

Eye-balling it on a Google map of the globe, it looks like if I considered a dive trip to that region of the world...I'd be most of the way toward reaching Raja Ampat or Komodo. Those 2 destinations, especially Raja Ampat, seem to get a lot of high praise and destination 'brand recognition' on Scuba Board.

Any thoughts on why one would decide to not 'fly over it' and instead hit the Philippines? Being mindful many people won't be making multiple trip to the greater region; for some, 1 to 3 trips will be it. What makes each option 'better?'

Richard.

For me, I chose Philippines because it's almost as good (if not equal) at much less cost and easier to reach. I can often get RT tix from Houston to Manila or Cebu for $800. And I can stay lots of places there for $150-200 per vacation day including room, diving, and food. I could do a total 7-10 night trip for about $2K. What would it cost for Komodo or Raja?

From a U.S. (or presumably Canadian) perspective, these comments reflect a question well worth asking. Why go to the Philippines? I'm not asking rhetorically or oppositionally; serious question.

Eye-balling it on a Google map of the globe, it looks like if I considered a dive trip to that region of the world...I'd be most of the way toward reaching Raja Ampat or Komodo. Those 2 destinations, especially Raja Ampat, seem to get a lot of high praise and destination 'brand recognition' on Scuba Board.

Any thoughts on why one would decide to not 'fly over it' and instead hit the Philippines? Being mindful many people won't be making multiple trip to the greater region; for some, 1 to 3 trips will be it. What makes each option 'better?'

Richard.

What makes Komodo or Raja Ampat better? From my experience more fish big and small, Mantas, and better condition of the reef ecosystems. Sometimes I opt for Indonesia, sometimes I opt for the Phillipines, depends on what I'm looking for. My last trip to SEA I chose Anilao for the cheaper and shorter flight and accomadations, but I prefer the diving in Indonesia overall.

For me, I chose Philippines because it's almost as good (if not equal) at much less cost and easier to reach. I can often get RT tix from Houston to Manila or Cebu for $800. And I can stay lots of places there for $150-200 per vacation day including room, diving, and food. I could do a total 7-10 night trip for about $2K. What would it cost for Komodo or Raja?

In general a mid-range LOB will be around $300-350 night. Komodo from land can be done for around $225 all in. Bali can be done for under $200 all in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom