Trip Report : Raja Ampat to Lembeh - SYM Ondina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yogen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Trip Report:
Just back from a 13 day 12 night trip over Easter on the SYM Ondina – Raja Ampat to Lembeh. There has been a lot of discussion on the Ondina on the forum and actually was quite concerned after booking this last minute trip.
Below are my reflections of the trip…
Route into Sorong : into Singapore – Manado – Sorong
Took a stopover in Manado just to be on the safer side w.r.t connections into Sorong. Overnight at the Novotel next to the airport.
Novotel : is great if you just want to catch the early morning flight to Sorong. Room including breakfast was about USD 50. Taxi from the airport to the hotel is about USD 5. Transfer shuttle from the hotel costs a bit more. Note – there is nothing nearby so if have more time and want to explore the town you should probably choose a hotel in the city.
Manado to Sorong : Flight options – Lion Air / Merapati / Express Wings
If you take Silk air into Manado from Singapore the connection on Lion air is about 1.5hrs later ( so no need to stop over in Manado) Chose the safer option but could have got this connection.
Express Air: Baggage Allowance 10kg, excess baggage 50,000 Rp / kg
So paid about USD 55 for 10kg excess weight.
Tip: Take more hand luggage than what is permitted. Does not seem to be controlled in Indonesia. Passengers seem to carry 3 pieces each.
The Merapati flight at the same time has 20kg allowance and excess baggage was 15,000 Rp / kg. On that day everything on Merapati went well and some other divers on it had no issues. But there are bad several stories about Merapati.
Anyways reached Sorong on time and was picked up by the cruise director.
First few hours on this Boat:
Checking of C cards / insurance / signing of waiver / safety briefing / ship orientation / dive tags for Raja Ampat etc
The boat was a private charter and 2 of us were last minute additions. In all 16 divers plus 1 snorkeler. Of the 16 divers 12 were serious underwater photographers, 2 of us including me with a point and shoot and 2 diving without a camera. All divers excepting me ( 50 dives) had more than 400 dives, and the other diver not part of the group was certified solo diver. So my buddy would be the dive guide.
The Boat: The Ondina is a 10yr old boat, well maintained however you can see the wear.
Cabins: Basic but clean and comfortable beds and air conditioned. Not much space for anything else.
There is a double bed in each cabin and a single bunk bed. Since I was the last one on the boat got the bunk bed.
Bathroom : Marine Toilet and sink. A cold water hose ( sprinkler) in case you want to have a shower.
Clean sheets and towels were provided every 3 days.
Salon cum Dining : Two tables mainly used for all the meals. There is a TV / Media system – a small collection of booked and some board games
Outside area seating area with a table and two hammocks and a sun bed lounging area on top.
Diving Prep Area: Place for 15 tanks with a box below for fins etc, 16th tank on the floor with the box under to photo table area.
Photo Table: Place for 5 big camera’s , don’t know how we fit 12.
Overall: The Ondina is a functional dive boat, it is clean. But space is limited with a full charter. We were 17 guests + 16 crew and this is definitely not ideal. One of the DMs had to sleep in the Salon after all the guests went to bed. The Damai is bigger and takes on 8 guests. But you pay about 2K more per person potentially.
Food:
The food throughout the trip was good. The chefs tried to make some vegetarian options for some of the guests but that was limited to tofu or corn. All meal buffet style – rice / noodles, Chicken / meat, Fish / Shrimp, Salad and a vegetable. For dinner there was an additional desert. Soft drink offered with lunch and dinner.
Snack were plenty. They were restocked when we reach Lembeh.
Overall : Good
Diving:
Preparation : Dive guides before every dive went and checked the current. This was followed by a briefing. Groups split into 4 with one dive guide. Crew loaded and offloaded the tanks from the tender so guests did not need to carry heavy tanks up and down the steps.
Space for preparation as mentioned earlier ideal for 14 divers max.
Diving Etiquette: Atrocious
The group we had was serious amateur cum profession underwater photographers. I have limited diving experience but have not seen such lack of respect towards each other / the reef just to get that perfect photograph. Fins everywhere …. Coral damage..On more than one occasion the dive was ruined by overzealous photographers.
Manta Sandy – just one example were divers sat right on the cleaning station till the Manta disappeared and never came back.
Because of this some people from the group got special treatment from the cruise director. Dives starting before the rest of the group. Guess if you organize the trip you get special treatment.
Dive sites :
Raja Ampat definitely lives upto its reputation. Lots of effort is being taken to preserve the area. Eco resorts playing their part and thanks to them they have some spectacular house reefs.
Cape Kri and Misool Shadow reef highly recommended.
However we also dived Pisang / Halmahera's Gorachi islands and Tifore on the way to much diving in Lembeh. The sites we dived in Pisang and Gorachi were completely dynamited. Tifore however was spectacular…. 500 barracudas + manta on the same dive. Beats the barracudas tornado in Sipadan.
Lembeh is critter paradise if you are into them..:) Macro and Super Macro in the photog sense.
Safety:
On one of the earlier dives in the trip I lost my group, did a safety stop and surface. Ofcourse no one else had surfaced. The dive tender came around to pick me up. I had over 100 bar left so went back down and stayed close to the tender.
Further through the trip everyone was basically diving solo. In the same neighbourhood but rarely as a buddy pair.
If you accept this style of diving and you are responsible for your safety then diving was “safe”. In case you had to surface there was always a dive tender above… and everyone had an SMB.
Crew:
The crew was hard working and helpful. Only question was could the cruise director have enforced a better diving etiquette and been a bit more equal in treatment of all guests.
Conclusion:
Ondina is a basic but functional dive boat. Crew is hard working and has good knowledge of the Raja Ampat area. So would be a good option if you did not want to pay the additional 2K for more luxury.

Thanks for the very informative trip report.
Is Tifore part of the Halmahera islands?
What was the topside/sea conditions like? Flat calm sunny??

Thanks for the very informative trip report.
Is Tifore part of the Halmahera islands?
What was the topside/sea conditions like? Flat calm sunny??

its further on.. midway to Lembeh. There is however a small fishing village on the island and we did see a few fishing boats. Some one from the group tried to visit the fishing boat and there was scurried activity.... probably to hide the dynamite. So do not know how long this might last.

Tifore had quite a strong current. No current no Fish :)

Hi Yogen,
Glad you had a nice cruise with us. Thanks for your fair report I think you have touched and come to the very heart of our proposal: we pretend to provide a better than just enough set of services onboard so that any buddy joining any of our departures can enjoy a comfortable cruise with at least the same diving, if not better because we are one of the pioneers in many areas, he could have joining any other liveaboard and thus saving a nice bunch of money to spend in so many other nice things......2K ! I can think of many, many superb things I would do with that in my pocket after having already enjoyed my diving holidays this year!.
Having said all that I am taking very well note of your comments to challenge my team to provide a better experience onbaord the SMy Ondina and specially to be more strict and carefull in guiding less experienced divers to prevent reef damage and will also talk to the cook to be more creative with vegetarian food!! .......I will leave the bombing issue for my nightmares and for other threads.....SAD!!
Hope to see you onboard again any time in the future and remember that we greet our repeaters with increasing discounts to thank them for coming back and back with us. Thanks and best dives!

Hi Yogen,
Glad you had a nice cruise with us. Thanks for your fair report I think you have touched and come to the very heart of our proposal: we pretend to provide a better than just enough set of services onboard so that any buddy joining any of our departures can enjoy a comfortable cruise with at least the same diving, if not better because we are one of the pioneers in many areas, he could have joining any other liveaboard and thus saving a nice bunch of money to spend in so many other nice things......2K ! I can think of many, many superb things I would do with that in my pocket after having already enjoyed my diving holidays this year!.
Having said all that I am taking very well note of your comments to challenge my team to provide a better experience onbaord the SMy Ondina and specially to be more strict and carefull in guiding less experienced divers to prevent reef damage and will also talk to the cook to be more creative with vegetarian food!! .......I will leave the bombing issue for my nightmares and for other threads.....SAD!!
Hope to see you onboard again any time in the future and remember that we greet our repeaters with increasing discounts to thank them for coming back and back with us. Thanks and best dives!

I was also on this particular cruise (the solo diver) and the problem was not with "inexperienced divers". Yogen was the most inexperienced of the group by a significant amount and kept himself off the reef. The balance of the group was without exception very experienced. Unfortunately some would not take any instruction from the guides or the cruise director who mentioned the damage to the reef that the group was doing several times in dive briefings and requested several times in very clear terms that they take more care. The guide even went as far as to pull people up from the reef. (I even think we skipped one particular site so that the group would not damage it.) Unfortunately some (not all) in the group would not listen and continued the behaviour. One diver even brought kneepads to protect his wetsuit from the damage the coral might do to it. Another diver had fins that were so badly scratched and damaged on the top any logo on the fin was long gone - the bottom almost pristine. With respect to the Manta dive I came up spitting nails I was so angry. Mantas on the surface all around when we came up, they would do a single pass over the cleaning station see the divers and just keep swimming - spoke to the organizer of the cruise - had no effect on behaviour. Fortunately I had been to the site before and have some great Manta pictures or I might have lost it completely.

On my own behalf - I did about half the dives wearing a shorty wetsuit - and have no scars on my knees :)

With respect to everything else I will post my own review shortly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom