Trip report Sep 2014: Palau Aggressor - VERY BAD EXPERIENCE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well now Monishi, you've opened yourself to a whole other line of questioning. :(

Last edited:
Monishi, I think it might be a good idea to quit at this point. Pretty much all of us agree that there is at least some legitimacy to your gripes and most of us agree that things that were said and done were inappropriate. Furthermore most of us agree that the business structure of Aggressor and Dancer is disturbing at best and potentially disastrous for the consumer at worst and should at least give one pause to think before embarking on a trip with them. However one thing none of your issues highlight was unsafe dives practices by the DM or the boat, Therefore a history of him and another sister ship (which as we all know IS NOT OWNED BY AGGRESSOR :shakehead: ) being involved in a law suit that was eventually dismissed is really not fair and you potentially could be treading a very fine line here.

I think that this thread has highlighted what we all want out of our LOB operators and also where Aggressor falls short and I think at this point it might be best to put it behind you and move on. You came home safety and you had a bunch of amazing dives. Let it be.

Monishi, I think it might be a good idea to quit at this point. Pretty much all of us agree that there is at least some legitimacy to your gripes and most of us agree that things that were said and done were inappropriate. Furthermore most of us agree that the business structure of Aggressor and Dancer is disturbing at best and potentially disastrous for the consumer at worst and should at least give one pause to think before embarking on a trip with them. However one thing none of your issues highlight was unsafe dives practices by the DM or the boat, Therefore a history of him and another sister ship (which as we all know IS NOT OWNED BY AGGRESSOR :shakehead: ) being involved in a law suit that was eventually dismissed is really not fair and you potentially could be treading a very fine line here.

I think that this thread has highlighted what we all want out of our LOB operators and also where Aggressor falls short and I think at this point it might be best to put it behind you and move on. You came home safety and you had a bunch of amazing dives. Let it be.

On another note; "If I should die please do not let my wife sell my dive equipment for what I told her I paid for it". No I would not be so low as to do that, I will tell her I will do her a favour and give her 50% of what you said you paid for it as I wish to be fair as after all it is used gear.......................he he he. Stay alive, you can't afford to die, too many vultures about :D

Yeah, I agreer with you. I should not be disclosing further information about this. Case closed. I just thought it was a bit weired for the management to say they will come back to me with the results of the inspection and then after I emailed them that the name I originally mentioned in the email was not correct, they instead came back to me saying they cannot disclose anything anymore. What started as innnocent complaints made me realise something fishy about this whole Franchise organization.

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 11:45 PM ----------

Forgot to mention - THEREFORE, I deleted my comments as you can see above.

"Let the buyer beware" "Step carefully" "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

DO your homework before laying out hard earned money, and placing your life in someone else's hands!

Monishi it is a good thing you deleted that post as it was potentially very inflammatory which is exactly why I did not quote it when I replied to it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 11:22 AM ----------

fwiw most divers that "tickle the coral with a fin" tend to do it incessantly throughout their dive (based on poor buoyancy control, propulsion skills, and situational awareness) while also breaking sea fans with their dragged consoles... grabbing although i totally agree with you i think you may believe I'm minimizing this which i assure you I'm not i was sure my choice of wording portrayed that, i was just pointing out there are some common misconceptions about some coral species and that i feel the dm in question my have made a mountain out of a mole hill but i wasn't there so i can't truly comment to what actually happened coral with both hands... in between kneeling/laying/standing on the reef to take a picture... before frantically zipping off and silting the site up for the other divers. imho

although i totally agree with you i think you may believe I'm minimizing this which i assure you I'm not i was sure my choice of wording portrayed that, i was just pointing out there are some common misconceptions about some coral species and that i feel the dm in question my have made a mountain out of a mole hill but i wasn't there so i can't truly comment to what actually happened

Last edited:
although i totally agree with you i think you may believe I'm minimizing this which i assure you I'm not i was sure my choice of wording portrayed that, i was just pointing out there are some common misconceptions about some coral species and that i feel the dm in question my have made a mountain out of a mole hill but i wasn't there so i can't truly comment to what actually happened

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 11:22 AM ----------

Mouth breather its interesting as I totally agree that the coral are fragile and should not be assaulted by a diver however one thing I have wondered about is the abuse coral get by other animals.

We have all seen videos and real life feeding frenzies by sharks, eels and larger fish making aggressive contact with the coral as they try to ferret a critter out of the holes. I have often wondered how much more damaging that must be and yet it is part of the cycle of nature.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Divers I usually see touching the corals are those experienced divers with big fat cameras or experienced divers who go through the hole in the cave or go through some structures in the ship wreck following the DM. During this specific liveaboard, the smallest number of dives logged at the beginning of the trip was 25 dives by two divers and those divers NEVER got close to the corals or inside the ship wreck because if they do, they were smart enough to know they might smash the corals. Unless some inexperienced divers are very careless, I don't normally see that many inexperienced divers crashing the corals. What I always see undewater is those experienced divers who are too confident to be taking photos so close to the corals or too confident to go through the hole that divers barely fit in, and without them knowing, their fins are touching the corals. We all try not to damage the corals to conserve the underwater environment but we have to realize recreational diving in general no matter what kind of experience we are, is somewhat detriomental to the ecosystem.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom