Trip Report Sosua Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just returned from a fabulous dive trip to Sosua, Dominican Republic 13-18 Jan 2011.

Did all my diving with Superior Dive in Sosua, located on the beach at the base of the Sosua Bay Resort Hotel. This is my second dive trip with them and I highly recommend them.

Did two dives a day in the morning for five days; first one usually to the wreck Zingara, about 10 minutes away by boat at a max depth of 116 ft. It's a really great wreck dive and the visibility on most days was 80-100 feet. Second dive was to one of the reefs; I like the Airport Wall area....again, about a 10 minute boat ride and similar visibility most days 80-100 feet. This reef is very much alive and lots to see. My dive guide (Anoldo, local Dominican diver and superb divemaster) always brought his speargun and we took turns killing lionfish, my new sport of kings!!! Can't figure out why this appeals to me so much, sort of like clubbing baby seals, but it sure is a blast and good to eliminate these invasive pests. I've developed an interest in spearfishing, as a result, and plan to try for some real underwater game sometime.

Afternoon dives are available, too, and night dives by appointment, but I usually max out my bottom time in the morning and spend the rest of the day relaxing, swimming at the beautiful beach, or hanging around the lively town of Sosua.

All boat dives are conducted from small boats, but they are fun and the dive staff is extremely helpful, almost to a fault, in assisting you with your gear, either getting in in or out of the boat or helping you rig up for the actual dive.

New owners of the shop, Chuck and Wendy, Mark and Carl are a group of divers from the United States.....superb people who have all the instructional ratings to get you anywhere from an "experience scuba" dive to full up PADI Divemaster. They have access to the hotel pool for initial training and plenty of "easy" training sites both from the shore and from the boats to provide a truly quality Open or Advance Open Water certification experience at very competitive prices........I think $350 for Open Water and $250 for Advance Open Water; If you've only got a few days, think they can do these programs in as little as three days if you are willing to commit to a couple of long days of diving and study.

The Superior Dive shop is located right on Sosua Bay at the bottom of the Sosua Bay Hotel.....easily the best facilities in town, and believe me, after diving there for several years, I've tried them all.

Will try to attach some pics here......wreck pics are from the wreck Zingara.

Overall a really great week and will be returning again!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great trip. I've dived @ Sosua twice now but haven't dived the Zingara. The Airport Wall is definitely a nice dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom