Trip to Fort Lauderdale advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdude74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning a vacation to Fort Lauderdale in April with a few buddies and had a few questions. My first question is what kind of water temps to expect and what thickness of wet suit will i need? i am use to diving in the cold waters of the north east and expect my 7mm farmer john to me overkill. My next question is can anyone recommend any dive spots we should check out? and what dive shops would you recommend?

Thanks in advance
-Doug

First off, I have never been to that area in April but I have been in January. Considering the water temp then was 65-67 degrees F all the way down to 130' I would say the 7mm suit might be overkill. I am also a cold water diver, when I travel I bring my drysuit regardless of temp just because that is what I am used to diving with. Ft. Lauderdale has some reef sites but I am not as familiar with any other kind of diving they have right there (wreck, drift, etc.). Personally, I would make the drive down to Key Largo. Its only about a 2hr drive and you can get some really awesome diving there. Key Largo has really nice reefs and its true claim to fame is the Speigel Grove. Its a HUGE artificial reef that is covered in marine life. The dive shop/charter I use when down there is Silent World (www.silentworld.com). Hope this helps you.

The exposure suit is a matter of preference largely. I get cold easily, especially with repetetive dives. In 70 deg I like a full, well-fitting 3 mm with a hooded vest. At 65, I'm into a 5 or maybe even a 7. I definitely would not be hot in a 7. I've also not been diving in Lauderdale, but second the vote for Key Largo. Lots of good operators there. The Spiegel could keep you busy a long time and the reefs are great. Since its mostly all park, you see an amazing amount of wildlife. Oh, and the water at Molasses Reef is 75 deg now (full 3 mm for me, with hood after a few dives) and it will be even better in April. I'm heading there this weekend.

I am planning a vacation to Fort Lauderdale in April with a few buddies and had a few questions. My first question is what kind of water temps to expect and what thickness of wet suit will i need? i am use to diving in the cold waters of the north east and expect my 7mm farmer john to me overkill.
I suspect it will be overkill. I haven't been there in April, but have been there in February and in May. In February, water temps were in the 68-70 range, with air temps in the 77-80 degree range. In May of the same year (2010), water temps were up to the 77-79 degree range, with air temps in the upper 80s.
diverdude74:
My next question is can anyone recommend any dive spots we should check out?
There are a number of reefed wrecks in the area. One of the popular ones, at least for us tourist types, is the Capt. Dan. Very relaxing dive at ~100+ft., generally good visibility, relatively short boat ride from the dock (depending, of course, on what charter op you use). I have done a number of other reefed wrecks in the area (Rodeo 25, Guy Harvey), but most of them are somewhat deeper (120-140) than you probably want to go. My personal favorite is the Hydro Atlantic, but's that's a technical dive down at ~165' to the sand. There are also reefs along the coast in that area, such as Touchdown (Touchdown Reef: Fort Lauderdale Diving Sites), and Sharks Ledge (Local Diving) which are shallow, relatively easy dives.
diverdude74:
and what dive shops would you recommend?
There are a number of operations in the area. When you refer to 'shops', do you literally mean shops where you can buy / rent gear and get fills, or charter operations with boats? There are quite a few shops in the general area, and you can talk to 10 people and get 20 different, good recommendations. I can't say I have a broad experience, simply because we tend to use 1-2 when we are there. For example, I have used the Scuba School and Dive Center in Lauderdale, in the past, with good results (they are a shop, with charter connections). In particular, among shops I would mention Dive Gear Express / Fill Express up the road a few miles in Pompano Beach, which I highly recommend for gear as well as fills (if you want to see what a well-organized, high volume fill station looks like, you should go there just for the experience). As for charters, I have used Conrad Nix (Welcome to Miss Conduct Dive Charters) several times, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Smaller boat, great guy. And, his webpage has information on a BUNCH of dive sites in the area.

Temps can vary in April but will probably be in the low to mid 70's. If you are cold water tolerant, then a 3MM with a hood should be OK. I am a baby and would freeze in a 3MM at 75 degrees.

Here are some dive ops I've used and had a good experience with (most are in Pompano, just a stone's throw from Ft Lauderdale).

For shore diving: contact Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea: they have a meetup group that does shore diving in Pompano, Lauderdale by the Sea , Dania Beach etc. Great group and they can also get you on many of the boats in the area, though they don't operate their own boat.
Gold Coast Scuba » Your Site Name
Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

Scubatyme in Pompano. Check out his website, it contains a description of many of the diving sites. If you are first to book on any day, he might let you pick the site if one has not already been decided upon by the captain.
[URL]http://www.scubatyme.com/[/URL]

Pompano Dive Center is located near Scubatyme and is also a good operation
Pompano Dive Center

South Florida Dive HQ: this op goes to some of the beautiful shallow reefs on a regular basis: these sites are wonderful for newer divers and I think are lovely. They also go to wrecks too. I think their website also might have a description of dive sites.

Visit One of the "Top Ten" Scuba and Snorkel Dive Locations, Sunny Sourth Florida, with South Florida Diving Headquarters

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't tend to agree with Saxatiles.....I dive between the Keys and Jupiter (which includes the dive areas of Ft Lauderdale, LBTS, Pompano, etc) and all of these dive locales have their own appeal and something unique to offer. You won't go wrong diving in Ft Lauderdale/Pompano just like you'd not go wrong in the Keys either. (as mentioned, check out Scubatyme's website and you'll find a myriad of fantastic wreck dive sites). You'll just have to decide if you want to stay local or make the trip to Key Largo

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't tend to agree with Saxatiles.....I dive between the Keys and Jupiter (which includes the dive areas of Ft Lauderdale, LBTS, Pompano, etc) and all of these dive locales have their own appeal and something unique to offer. You won't go wrong diving in Ft Lauderdale/Pompano just like you'd not go wrong in the Keys either. (as mentioned, check out Scubatyme's website and you'll find a myriad of fantastic wreck dive sites). You'll just have to decide if you want to stay local or make the trip to Key Largo

I proclaim ignorance as to what Ft. Lauderdale has to offer! I would be more than happy to check these out myself next time im down there. Thanks for the info!!!

I think Colliam7 hit it pretty well. Water temps were about 73-76 a couple of weeks ago. In April you can expect the water to be a few degrees warmer. I am easily chilled so my wetsuit preference is probably irrelevant to your decision. I hope to dive this weekend as well. As to wrecks, the Sea Emperor is a local favorite (about 75') and is in swimming distance of the United Caribbean. The Tracy, Merci Jesus, and Scutti are three wrecks (about 75') (sometimes called "wreck trek") that are all in swimming distance and makes a really fun dive. The Rodeo 25 is one of my favorites!! (mentioned above) I also like the Cap't Dan (mentioned above) and the RSB1. Parrot Island Scuba runs a 6 pack out of Pompano. They have a website with their schedule. It is run by a really decent guy named Jerry. Scubatyme is run by a guy named Enzo. It is a great operation. I rarely go as far south as Ft. Lauderdale. But, I have dived the Tenneco Towers a few times and really enjoyed it! I have lived here for a decade and started diving here in '08. I have done over 200 dives in this area.

As to wrecks, the Sea Emperor is a local favorite (about 75') and is in swimming distance of the United Caribbean. The Tracy, Merci Jesus, and Scutti are three wrecks (about 75') (sometimes called "wreck trek") that are all in swimming distance and makes a really fun dive.
This sounds like very good, local intel. Thanks for posting. I will expand my horizons next time I dive in the area.

Mid 70's is what we usually get. For me a 3mm and hood, or my 5mm usually treat me fine.

YOu might want to try American Dream II. Captain Todd runs a great boat. Check out the website at
ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom