trouble recovering bc from pool bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI didn't have you do this in 82, but the guy that got me into diving had me do it before that. He tied everything in knots and there it sat on he bottom on the pool. I think it's a good drill for dealing with stress of having to deal with multiple equipment issues while underwater, and like others said, being comfortable underwater. You'll never have to do this in real life, but you will have to think clearly while problem solving underwater. Once you find the regulator, your golden. Keep control of that and there should be no issues while you work the rest of the problem. Need to take the reg out to untangle something, fine, just keep control of it and put it back in your mouth when needed, and calmly get your gear back on. If you have dive buddies like mine, you'll get your mask kicked off or bumped plenty, gotta be prepared for that.

Interesting, this skill is not included in the PADI training program. I heard a story of a PADI istructor who included this skill in his training (as he had been taught it when he originally learned to dive) I believe he was expelled by PADI for stepping outside the official standards and practices. Can't say about NAUI though.

Steve
http://www.seadancerdivecenter.com

The fins were taken off and stuck in between the tank and bc. So no fins .

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 07:07 AM ----------

Keep your eyes squinted. You'll see exactly how you would see if they were wide open, so keeping them squinted keeps the harsh water from burning your eyes.

--- Good idea. I had not thought of that, but its a normal reaction for me when not wearing my glasses.

When you get down to your BC, wrap your knees around the tank and get yourself back into a comfortable orientation. If you're floaty, try to control your breathing; don't breath in a full breath so rapidly. Grab your mask, put your thumb into the nose pocket. Orientate your mask correctly, then trace out your mask strap nice and neat, making sure your snorkel is also neat.
Put your mask on your face (lens first), clear, THEN with two hands, pull your mask strap neatly over your head.

---I did have my knees around the tank, but could not control my breathing. I need to work on that. I like the put the mask on clean and then the strap. That would have worked better.

Make each movement slow and deliberate. Often times when I see new divers doing this skill, they mess up because their hands are a flurry mess of uncoordinated panicked activity.

---Yes I was a mess of uncoordinated panicked activity. I knew what I had to do but when getting the mask on because it was tangled failed I did not stop to think. That was because I was not controlling my breathing.

Also I don't know if you clip your things into your BC or not, every instructor's directions are different. But if you have trouble finding your clips and such, place your hands higher or lower than where you're aiming, then trace-feel along your straps to find your clips. It beats tapping your body repeatedly trying to find your clips.

--- No clips. Its a rental BC, but after several weeks of wearing different mens BCs he got a nice womans one from the equipment room and I have had it for 3 weeks now so I know where everything is. I had to leave the mask free. He probably made me do that to make it easier. I don't think I had a clear enough plan in my head even though he told me what I needed to do. I need to overcome the no mask issue and control my breathing better. I need to be calmer and more methodical. These suggestions all will help me. My fins floated to the top and I was not allowed to retrieve them first.

Goodluck on your next try!

---Thanks

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 07:10 AM ----------

I had the regulator in my mouth and was breathing but did not go zen. If I had I would have been golden. I need to practice the going zen part.

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 07:27 AM ----------

Mine as well (SSI for OW). IIRC we did them with the lights dimmed. I loved those drills, I wanted to do more. They helped me feel comfortable with my surroundings and get better at dealing with stress and focusing on doing the right things in the right order.

I can't see diving (at all) if flooding or diving with no mask at all was a scary or threatening thing to me. Picking up a mask off the bottom of a pool ought to be about as hard as closing your eyes and finding one of your shoes under the bed.

---I have been in the pool without mask before with no problem. Have taken it off many times and was fine. I think when I got to the pool that night I was stressed and tired and did not really want to dive. If it was not a class I would not have dived or even been in the pool that night.

If you want style points, something to work up to for the end test, stick your fins so they lay through both arm pockets of your BC, then stick your mask into one fin pocket. The BC should keep your fins from floating away. The trick then is to not yank everything out of the BC when you go for your mask.

Give yourself a step by step plan and imagine it before going on your next try. Having a specific game plan really helps, especially if you encounter an unexpected snag, like a tangled mask. With a game plan you just go back a step and reset.

I had the regulator in my mouth and was breathing but did not go zen. If I had I would have been golden. I need to practice the going zen part.

Focusing on your breathing rather than anything else is the key I think to calming down. Take controlled, deep breathes with your eyes closed while holding your tank/ BC gently. That way you know it's there, you can calm down and slowly focus on the extra things such as equipment reassembly. As far as what to put on for a drill like this first (once your reg is located), I'd say going for the weight belt is a good idea, that way you can stop worrying about staying on the bottom as it will hold you there (plus it's ditchable if you get too anxious in these attempts). After that I'd probably go for my mask, fins and BCD. Once you get your mask on everything else gets dramatically easier.

Focusing on your breathing rather than anything else is the key I think to calming down. Take controlled, deep breathes with your eyes closed while holding your tank/ BC gently. That way you know it's there, you can calm down and slowly focus on the extra things such as equipment reassembly. As far as what to put on for a drill like this first (once your reg is located), I'd say going for the weight belt is a good idea, that way you can stop worrying about staying on the bottom as it will hold you there (plus it's ditchable if you get too anxious in these attempts). After that I'd probably go for my mask, fins and BCD. Once you get your mask on everything else gets dramatically easier.

The BC has weight pockets so I need to get that on to stay down. Calming down is the key. Panic = Very Bad Calm = Very Good

I remember doing this with my PADI instructor and thinking, what a PITA and I still do. Some good tips above though for getting through it.

We do this drill w/ CMAS* students who are doing great and want a challenge, or as a normal drill for CMAS**. Obviously it's just a drill for fun, slight stress training, etc. Getting reasonably comfortable about not having a mask is a worthwhile skill IMHO because it makes having water in the mask, leaking mask or needing to remove & replace mask a lot less stressful.

This drill can have practical use if you're training in a public pool: leave all the scuba gear on the bottom of the deep end when you divers go take a warmup (jacuzzi/sauna/hot shower) break & the vast majority of swimmers will leave it 100% alone ;-)

For building up how comfortable you underwater & getting some exercise, one uncommon but incedibly fun option is underwater rugby. An incredibly fun, fast-paced 3D game, it deserves to be more popular.

Since I am the only person who signed up for the class, underwater rugby would be difficult. Although I am sure my instructor has many more challenges for me in the next 4 weeks.

Four weeks?
Lucky you!, I wish there were more instructors that taught these long classes.

Cheers,
Mitch

Back
Top Bottom