Truk, Palau, or PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been lucky and been to all three destinations they all have different appeal factors.

Did Palau earlier this year 2012 , great shark and fish action, amazing drop offs, swim throughs and caves, downside : reefs not pretty, long boat rides to main sites, the flight departure and arriving times are crazy.

Truck (Chuuk) is a ship fanatics dream, wrecks of all sizes, not much fish action though. great viz and water temp. no current as in a logoon.

PNG visited four times, 2 x Kavieng, Madang and Rabaul, you have wrecks, fish life, the basic rawness of the country itself, (crime not as bad as reported outside of capital. but you still need to be careful not to put yourself into sitautions).

All three destinations have WW2 history, relics and tours etc.

Rabaul has active volcanoes, both plane and ship wrecks. An adventure in itself is being near an active roaring volcano at night. Downside Airlines are not reliable, overbooked, sometimes late or does not show its a fact up there.

All have good diving- depends on your likes and dislikes.

I've been to the New Guinea subcontinent twice --contracted Dengue Fever in New Britain (Walindi) 2001; and Impetigo -entire body full skin infection- on a two week liveaboard from N. Sulawesi (Lembeh) to Halmaherah/Raja Ampat and W. Papua (Sorong) 2006.

Been to Palau and/or Chuuk nearly every year since 1999 (was treated in the Koror Hospital -Palau, for the Dengue Fever episode above by a US Navy Corpsman).

Fantastic diving as noted above --but nastier microorganisms on PNG:shakehead: !

If you could only visit one of these in your life, which would you choose?
I had dived in these three places.
How much time and money do I have?
If I have unlimited time and fund then it has to be PNG.
Truk(Chuuk) is the best for wreck diving.
Palau is better than Truk if you want bit of everything.
But PNG win hands down for the shear of diversity.

If you could only visit one of these in your life, which would you choose?

Been to Palau and PNG -- PNG wins by a mile. In addition to the intriguing culture, PNG has big fish, teeny tiny fish, colorful fish -- pretty much anything you want. I won't go back to Palau but, finances willing, I'll be back to PNG.

Been to Palau six years ago and would like to do it again and to combine with Chuuk.What is the cheaper way to get Chuuk from Palau?

No cheaper way, you have to go Chuuk, Guam, Palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom