"Trust Me Dive" Troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been working on an article about some recent diving adventures. The text below was part of it, but the subject of the article morphed so much that this portion no longer worked. I decided to post it here rather than throw it out. Perhaps this will help someone else avoid similar circumstances...

One note: This trip was impromptu and I was forced to use rental gear. Yuck. Other than the faulty regulator, I'll let you have the fun of identifying all the other mistakes that were made (mostly mine), including the whopper at the very beginning of the dive... :D

Everything worked out alright, but this was very much a wake-up call for me.

glenn

We’re diving to the pool today. Not in a pool, to the pool. This is the swimming pool on the deck of the USS Coolidge, a cruise ship that became a troop transport during World War II. The ship struck a friendly mine while entering the harbor at Espiritu Santo Island, Vanuatu, and sank so that it makes a great shore dive. (I don’t think that was on the captain’s mind when he purposely grounded the ship after hitting the mine, but the results are the same.) The ship is on its side, and the ‘bottom’ of the pool is deep.

Me: “How deep?”

Dive Guide: “Only 55 meters or so.”

Me: “Ah. Okay.” Then the internal calculations start. Hmm. 55 meters. That’s uh... Three point three times fifty-five, call it one-fifty plus fifteen, carry the three, add a bit more, uh, right. One hundred eighty feet.

With us are two retired folks from Sydney. We’re using single 80cuft tanks and simple recreational gear, with dive computers, but the guide will be calculating our decompression time from tables. After yesterday’s incident during the engine room dive, I refuse to go inside again and I say so. He assures me that we’ll do fine. There won’t be any penetration of the wreck, and the decompression time will be short. With everyone in agreement, we trudge out through the low surf and begin the dive. The water is amniotic-warm but the visibility has decreased to about 40ft.

At the bow, 60 feet deep, the guide ties-off a stage tank for emergencies. We swim along the promenade deck, slowly descending, passing the fallen remains of the ship’s bridge. Shortly after the bridge, at 110 feet, the guide points downward to the pool. We all give the OK sign and start the descent: first the guide, dropping fast, followed by the Aussie couple, and myself. As we pass 120 feet my computer beeps. I’ve entered deco mode.

As if on queue, I hear a POP and a sudden rush of air bubbles. It takes a moment to figure out that my rental-reg’s octopus is free-flowing. Oh thank you. I turn it mouthpiece-down, a traditional way to stop this sort of thing. It still free-flows. I shake it a bit. Still free-flowing. 130 feet. I pull the primary regulator out of my mouth and take a couple breaths off the octo. Still free-flowing. I put my primary reg back in my mouth. 140 feet. At this point the guide and Aussie divers have no idea what’s going on above them, and I’m starting to make quick, unhappy decisions. I don’t like any of my options. Surface? Not a good idea. Can I reach the emergency tank before my air runs out? Probably not, it’s 80ft up and 200ft laterally along the promenade. Other divers around? Only the ones sinking like dropped lead below me. They are the nearest air. 150 feet. I shake the octo again, this time like I’m try to dislodge a moray. The free-flow stops.

According to my pressure gauge I lost 30bar in the octo incident. More calculations... That’s, uh, what, 400psi? A dark narcosis is vignetting my brain, and math has a fuzzy logic all its own. Why am I even bothering to convert bar to psi? I pull up next to the other divers, who’ve stopped around 175 feet. I control my breathing and slowly return to a calmer state of mind. The guide descends a bit more to point out the colorful tiles around the pool. Yeah, that’s really cool. Can we, like, ascend now?

The rest of the dive was mercifully short, and I made it back to the deco stop with about 30bar left. The guide only found out about the regulator problems when I wrote it on a slate at the stop, and the Aussie couple never knew anything had gone wrong.

g2 - thanks for sharing. Glad it worked out ok, but I would say you should have bought a lotto ticket when you surfaced

You probably know that diving that deep on an AL 80 without even so much as an H valve, no pre-dive deco plan etc etc is going to get you a lot of replies here. Actually I wouldn't do that dive with double 80's

This is more than a trust me dive issue, it simply was the wrong dive. Wrong gear, wrong team, just wrong - I would not have been in the water with that gear for that dive etc.

Now that I am beyond the "just wrong" part of this - did you thumb or try to thumb the dive when you finally caught up with the other divers or were you too narced at that point to make that decision?

Once again glad it all worked out

If you survive this post I would be curious in what went wrong the day before during the penetration dive.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Gilless,

The pool was the turn-around point on the dive, so we were headed back up from there regardless. And you're right, agreeing to go on the dive without the proper gear was the big no-no. Sometimes the desire to see/do something overcomes caution.

Afterwards, another diver showed me that you can stop a free-flow by simply bending the hose into a U, like shutting off a garden hose. I had never seen that before but it's a handy thing to know.

g

Uh, G2 - at what point were you going to hit your buddy for air?

180 ft deep on an 80 cf tank, no pony, rental reg - would you care to discuss that as a poorly accepted plan that you should have rejected, or can we agree on that?

Have you shopped for your own reg yet?

Glad you survived...!!

Hi Don,

Yuppers, we can agree that it was a bad plan!

Here's the thing that gets me, though...

Most of the diving on the ship is in the 100-200ft range. Many of the dives are penetration dives. With only a few exceptions, everyone is diving with similarly inadequate gear (I have my own gear at home, nicely maintained, but it was 8000 miles away at the time). I was very astonished to see this kind of diving, but that's what they're doing. And everybody's so nonchalant about it, even as they often go OOA in deco mode and end up breathing off the DM's octo for half the dive. YIKES!

After this incident I did one more, shallower dive on the ship, but the truth is I was so uncomfortable with what was going on there that I just bailed on any further diving and sat around the pool (the one at the resort, not the ship) for the next couple days. Yeah, scary dive planning. At first I thought it was me being too conservative, but I finally decided that it wasn't me, it was them.

g

There but for the grace of God...

g2:
Hi Don,

Yuppers, we can agree that it was a bad plan!

Here's the thing that gets me, though...

Most of the diving on the ship is in the 100-200ft range. Many of the dives are penetration dives. With only a few exceptions, everyone is diving with similarly inadequate gear (I have my own gear at home, nicely maintained, but it was 8000 miles away at the time). I was very astonished to see this kind of diving, but that's what they're doing. And everybody's so nonchalant about it, even as they often go OOA in deco mode and end up breathing off the DM's octo for half the dive. YIKES!

After this incident I did one more, shallower dive on the ship, but the truth is I was so uncomfortable with what was going on there that I just bailed on any further diving and sat around the pool (the one at the resort, not the ship) for the next couple days. Yeah, scary dive planning. At first I thought it was me being too conservative, but I finally decided that it wasn't me, it was them.

g
This is about the scariest, and I am sorry, dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Please list the name of the boat so that I won't ever go on it or can warn friends away. This is highly irresponsible of the boat captain, the dive leaders on the boat, and anyone going on this dive as a certified diver. Not only did you not have the right equipment you don't have the right training. I am learning technical dive training now, and I wouldn't touch this dive under these circumstances for anything. I am also glad you survived. I just don't understand what would make a well-educated diver even think of doing this type of dive.:confused:

:11:
Just making a wild guess here, but something tells me that they don't have the same kind of 'legal system' in Vanuatu that we're used to around here.

I'm glad you survived that. I guess it goes to show how dangerous it can be to have a divemaster who isn't responsible. It's so different from the normal situation of the divemaster being the responsible person on the boat :confused:

How much diving experience do you have?

I'm not making any excuses, and yeah it *is* dumb.

nurshark:
...you don't have the right training.

Really? If I do have the right training, does that make it better or worse? To answer DeepBound's question, I have enough training and experience to know better.

I just don't understand what would make a well-educated diver even think of doing this type of dive.:confused:

Here's something that's hard thing to explain if you haven't seen it for yourself (some of the old timers out there may understand, although that's not a justification of any sort either). There are places in the world where it's still the "wild west" of diving, as it were. What I mean by this is that divers do not feel bound by the rules normally imposed in, perhaps, better-educated countries or places with formal dive training. DB is right that, at least in Vanuatu, the normal rules and laws do not apply, so it's up to your individual discretion.

For example, I know people will strap on a tank and go solo to 200ft just to get narc'd. My last dive buddy in Bonaire would regularly disappear for the first 15 minutes on a dive to "find the bottom", often around 220 ft. (I don't dive with him any more, I hope he's still alive.) This sort of thing still goes on everyday in many places. The wreck of the Coolidge in Vanuatu is one such place; the only thing that keeps the tourists alive is that the guides are very good at what they do.

Again, I am not trying to justify or advocate this kind of diving, and in fact I highly discourage it. But if you travel around enough you will find it. At that point, you have to make a decision: will you dive with these people under these circumstances? I did a few dives there and decided it wasn't safe enough for me. Other people there dove repeatedly under the same conditions and enjoyed themselves, even as they took much greater risks than what I described -- deep penetrations into the ship, 200+ft dives on single AL80s using only air, hanging computers at the deco stop to let them decompress because the diver was tired of waiting, etc. It scared the begeezus out of me just watching them, but I can only influence my own diving. I made my own choices -- both to go on that dive in the first place, and to NOT go on any such dive again without the proper equipment. If other people can learn from my mistakes, then something good will have come out of it.

glenn

nurshark:
This is about the scariest, and I am sorry, dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Please list the name of the boat so that I won't ever go on it or can warn friends away. This is highly irresponsible of the boat captain, the dive leaders on the boat, and anyone going on this dive as a certified diver. Not only did you not have the right equipment you don't have the right training. I am learning technical dive training now, and I wouldn't touch this dive under these circumstances for anything. I am also glad you survived. I just don't understand what would make a well-educated diver even think of doing this type of dive.:confused:

Erm.. it was a shore dive. The boat was grounded by the captain - he is probably long dead, and the boat is about 200ft down.

On a more serious note, I'm the last person to stick up for the practices described - but a big congrats to G2 for having the brain power to take responsibility for your own actions. none of us are perfect, but if we are responsible for our own actions, we actually learn from them.

On another note - did you by any chance dive million dollar point? Apparently the US army dumped a heap of tanks, jeeps and so on there - would make for an interesting dive, I'd think.

Z...

Back
Top Bottom