"Trust Me Dive" Troubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Zeeman, yeah I did Million Dollar Point. It's a fun, easy shore dive. There is an unbelievable amount of equipment dumped there. Most of it is still recognizable because there isn't much coral growth on it, just silt. For that same reason I think most people find it interesting the first time but have little interest in doing it again. Likewise, there are a few freshwater blueholes around the island that are also worth a visit.

another aussies 2cents.... its quite common to take newbie divers onto the coolidgee and from experience it is often the first dive trip sydney divers experience

glad OP handled it and is ok...... a lesson learnt is a near disaster avoided so good to hear!

cheers

g2:
Hi Zeeman, yeah I did Million Dollar Point. It's a fun, easy shore dive. There is an unbelievable amount of equipment dumped there. Most of it is still recognizable because there isn't much coral growth on it, just silt. For that same reason I think most people find it interesting the first time but have little interest in doing it again. Likewise, there are a few freshwater blueholes around the island that are also worth a visit.
the million dollar point story is interesting!

the US was pulling out and said to the French give us $1mil and we will leave everything behind so you guys can use it

the french believed that it would cost the US more than $1mil to move the equipment back to the US and it would be left behind for free so said thanks but no thanks we dont want to buy it.

so the US then pushed everythign into the water while the french watched on.

Another Tasmanian 2 cents..

Yep - been there and done that: bounce dives to 180 to 200 ft on a single 80 with a spare tank left at the deco bar.

Theres some dives out there where this is considered normal (the San Fransico in Truk also springs to mind). I guess warm water, good vis and no currents tend to lead people into underestimating the dangers.

Same sort of thing: no close buddy teams, no concept of a rock bottom pressure, people stuffing around at the bottom, and air planning that consists of 'just get to the deco bar before you run out of gas').

Scares the ***** out of me nowdays thinking about these past dives: they do however make the best learning experiences.

Cheers,
Rohan.

g2:

Cool. the blue holes sound quite cool. I have yet to venture to Santo...

Zeeman:
Erm.. it was a shore dive. The boat was grounded by the captain - he is probably long dead, and the boat is about 200ft down.
Z...
sorry, I did read it was a shore dive and somehow that part of the story did not sink in. I was too amazed at the dive itself.

I have been around the block a bit too...diving 15 years and travel to some exotic places. Most commerical dive ops are a bit more conservative than this. I know people do these types of dives. That doesn't make it right. I'm also glad you have the courage to post your experience and admit it was not a good idea.

You indicated you were a recreational diver......if you were trained in deco/technical diving, then it seems it would make you question even more the risks of this type of dive. Certainly my increased knowledge has just made me even more conservative.

I think it will be only a matter of time before something goes awry in Vanatau.

Glad I was more polite when I poked fun at G2 :D

Some of our more experienced divers aren't adding things like number of dives and what badges to their posts, and I thot he was a newbie tourist. My mistake.

DandyDon:
Glad I was more polite when I poked fun at G2 :D

Some of our more experienced divers aren't adding things like number of dives and what badges to their posts, and I thot he was a newbie tourist. My mistake.

Sometimes its best to only reveal the highest amount of information you choose to be held accountable for. Some folks like to be in the bright lights saying "look how pretty and shiny and smart I am!" while others are more interested in other things.

Honestly, G2 is my kind of dive buddy. He's had some experiences, some he'll never forget. He's willing to share the experiences and what was learned. This is a thinking dive buddy who can handle themselves without screaming "We're all going to die!" more than once into the regulator before composing and saying "OK, I feel better, now what?!" and moving on and handling the situation. Those who talk about plans and such without having been in the situation... maybe we'll dive together one day and I'll see how good the planning and planned dive really is adhered to. :wink:

CBulla:
Honestly, G2 is my kind of dive buddy. He's had some experiences, some he'll never forget. He's willing to share the experiences and what was learned. This is a thinking dive buddy who can handle themselves without screaming "We're all going to die!" more than once into the regulator before composing and saying "OK, I feel better, now what?!" and moving on and handling the situation. Those who talk about plans and such without having been in the situation... maybe we'll dive together one day and I'll see how good the planning and planned dive really is adhered to. :wink:

I don't think you have to put yourself in a dangerous situation to learn....do you??

I think he learned something from this, but not sure. Sounds like most of the posters on this thread think it's just fine. I just stumbled onto it and found it interesting that everyone is taking this as a matter of course, it seems. After losing 3 divers down in Florida recently, due to poor dive planning and improper gear prep....one would think it might wake some people up...but, maybe not. Whatever. ya'll don't know me and i don't know you..I will butt out...still think you're living on the edge. And CBulla, you probably wouldn't want to dive with me because I do dive my plan...and try to be prepared for contingencies if it changes. That's just me. I like being that kind of diver. Whatever floats your boat...it's your life.

nurshark:
....... found it interesting that everyone is taking this as a matter of course, it seems.......

our expereince with the Coolidgee was that it was run very professionally and there was no shortcuts in the planning of the dives

maybe things have changed over the years

in the old days there was only 2 dive shops (allan powers and aquamarine) and now there are more of them so maybe this has changed the attitude to diving the wreck

i didnt ask OP before... but who did you dive with???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom