Trying Force Fins for the first time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater, you hit the nail on the head. I painfully watched the pristine South Pacific reefs being broken up by divers kicking around with flat fins and flat split fins, they could not control. You describe the effect so elegantly. With my new Ikelite housing for the digital Cannon 12 I captured the action. Our expert digital friend David Haas Photography set me up. Most importantly I was able to watch the reef bangers leg muscles contort as they fought against the twisting of the fin blades. I plan to post these photos and more. Thanks for bringing out a important part of my design. I like your thought of "Save our Reefs, dive Force Fins". One by one we can make a change for ourself and the World. As Jean-Michel Cousteau pointed out in his lectures during our cruise "Protect The Ocean and You Protect Yourself".

Bob--Well, gotta call it like ya see it. My wife would tell me I was clunking the reef at times and I'd almost argue with her. (Almost. I mean I'm not totally stupid...:eyebrow: ) I would redouble my awareness, work even harder on bouyancy but it could still happen on occasion. All I could really do was stay further from the reef because I knew how easily it happened without knowing.

I saw a good friend diving on out last trip, someone who has great dive skills, 1,000+ dives, a dive master rating but I noticed she would brush things or occasionally drag a fin. We talked about it and she was flabbergasted, almost in tears. She did not know and even after discussing it, could not tell. It's that simple--you can't tell. It's why approaching anyone might be a tad touchy. I like the idea of videoing the situation but it might have limited impact. It would be great if your company helps spread the word in a positive way, so more power to you! // ww

Warmwater, Thanks for the comments. I sometimes bump into something, but with less damage and maybe because my toes are free I am more aware of the water movement and foot motion. I grabbed several still images showing the crazy dynamics of fin kicking and Blair asked if I had captured this in a video mode...still learning this electronic camera stuff. Blair's is putting the team together to show water flow. I've come with a simple way to cut a course that will open some minds. Seeing what really goes on might open some eyes. The real solution to Natural Reefs is the "Ships to Reefs" program and building artificial reefs. I took a good look at the platforms (oil) here in the Santa Barbara Channel. With over 850 logged dives (1971-1980) on these living reefs we found a better dive spots than the California Channel Islands. I have a video posted http://www.youtube.com/user/divebob2008 So, with more ships and man made artificial reefs and we would kick around the Natural reefs less, but that's now a common idea for todays time. Happy Birthday Dr. King.

Well I am back from Cozumel. During the first dive with the Force Fin Pros I was a bit disappointed during the dive because I could not make much head way swimming against the current. After conferring with other divers on the boat after the dive it turned out that no one could swim against that current. I had actually misjudged the strength of the current because my leg muscles were not struggling against it as hard as I would have expected in the past. I took about six dives to get used the the different feel of the fins in the water and different finning technique but I have to say that I like them and if I were going on another dive trip tomorrow I would be bringing the Force Fins. I certainly have not mastered their use yet. One thing I have work on is turning within my own axis while in motion with these fins. The first few dives I could not do this to my satisfaction but later in the trip I was seeing a marked improvement. I am looking forward to more dives with these.

Harro10,
Thank you for sharing your Force Fin experience. I have heard about the Cozumel currents and I am glad to hear you really made the most of your trip getting in as much diving as possible. What I find the biggest difference when switching from a traditional fin to a Force Fin is that I can not feel a Force Fin. Pushing water off the end of my toe is not a Force Fin technique.

With Force Fin's Open Foot Pocket and curved blade the terra firma cues to my brain are gone because there is never any excess strain put my ankle, knees and hips that I experience with traditional fins. Good luck on tuning your Force Fins to your style of diving and I look forward to hearing more about your aquatic experience with your Pro Force Fins.

Here is to smart diving and good vis!

Just got back from Bali-Indonesia to try my new FF Pro.
My first impression using the Pros was great!, it doesn't feel funny at all,..i frog kick very well with them, and felt no strain on my ankle/foot....i love them!!

I've been collecting fins from various brand before, Aqualung, the infamous Scubapro jets, apollo bio fin, Mares raptor, and they didn't come close to FF in terms of comfort and power combined, not mentioning the open toe pocket, bungee strap, travel size, material, snappinest, power, whiskers, etc.

I owned 3 different model of FF now, Foil FF, Excellerating FF, and now the FF Pros, from the 3, my preliminary assessment will be:
- Foil FF (Original) is the easiest to kick -- works like wonder in no-current water, but not that great in Strong current
- Excellerating FF is the most powerful -- a bit too stiff to use in no-current water, but pack a great power in strong-current water, but my excellerating FF size is too small for my feet, feel a bit rubbing on top of my feet while using booties, had to wear comfort instep and diving socks to minimize the rubbing problem.
- FF Pros will be the all around fins -- great in no-current waters, but yet to test them in strong-current when i visit Komodo island in June.

I'm DYING to try the Hockey Fins, the review was crazy good and would love to try them on my next trip,...just need to save $$ for a couple of months to get them, but i know for sure it'll worth every penny.... :D

I really enjoy my FFs. I love how I can maneuver in the swim throughs and in the wrecks. Helicopter turn is a blast, so quick. It took a while to get back up down. I also like the ability to walk in them on the boat, that is handy. Also so much less fatigue on my body. I leave a pair on Cozumel as I dive there so much. They are great in every situation I get in. I can depend on them, very critical for me.

xeon_intel & firstdive2005,
Thank you for your posting your Force Fin experience. Your support and time towards sharing your feedback with us and the ScubaBoard members and guests is much appreciated. Here is to smart diving and good vis!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom