Trying to Break Into Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dracunos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello divers. I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about getting into this sport that I have so much interest in. It's not the physical aspect of breathing underwater (although you never know until you actually do it), or even the calculated dangers inherent in the sport.

My concerns are about two things.. My age and finding partners, and of course money.

Let's start with money.. The very basic and initial investment (for the course nearby) would cost 350, plus maybe 200 for basic gear, and I'm assuming there are other items I'll eventually need or want, so I could allow for another couple hundred for 'etc', maybe eventually a thousand (although I'm pretty stingy with my savings). But the initial cost isn't really THAT big of a deal to me (as long as my gi bill stipend gets here soon, at least :p). I was wondering more about the operating costs. While I know there are always endless variables, I was curious about maintenance on equipment, refilling tanks, etc (not sure what else). Is travel usually the most expensive aspect?

In San Pedro, Ca, where I live, I'm lucky enough to have this nice dive shop (that offers courses) named Pacific Wilderness (that has nothing but fantastic reviews and referrals when mentioned), and they also have a seemingly pretty active dive club as well. But at the same time... I feel like such an outsider. Not only because I have no savvy for this sport, but also because I am only 24.

It seems like almost every other diver (at least around here) is like.. 40s+, and the rest are 30+. It makes sense, considering diving is a pretty expensive sport, especially the initial investment, and considering that most younger people just don't have that kind of disposable income. Or they'd rather spend it on drinking, smoking, and partying (which I theorize many kids probably spend more on than many of you spend on diving :p). But I don't like drinking and partying. It's not exciting or very interesting to me. I'm just secretly a nerd. I like science and huge amazing blow-your-mind type stuff, not talking to Becky about how Josh broke up with Janet. I really want to experience this whole new.. universe underwater, if you will. But it's hard because I feel so unwelcome when nobody around my age seems to frequent these places. I walk into a dive shop and feel this bad vibe like I'm not supposed to be here.. I couldn't possibly have enough money to afford this old man hobby :p (okay, not really old.. But still a generation or two above me). I could, of course, just be imagining it, but I would hate to join a dive club and not be able to find partners, or a friendly partner, to dive with, just because I'm too young and not 'supposed' to be here.

Do it, you'll love to dive once you get out there and everything that you are worried about wont really matter as much.
I am somewhat of a new diver myself completed OW end of May, and just did Advanced OW this past weekend. Cost is definitely an issue for me a lot of the time too. I'm 24 also, still in school and working. As soon as I could after I got certified I decided I needed my own gear and got together what money I had and bought a decent rig I could afford. I find now the most it costs is the boat fee when I want to go out and dive unless I shore dive which is free basically. it costs <$10 to fill a tank. The more expensive part I think is the initial fee.
One thing i've learned about classes and all is find a dive shop and instructor you are comfortable with and do some research before you jump into anything. Look up other dive shops in your area and you might find that you like one better than another even if it means a little further drive. You will meet people of all ages that dive, yet I do find myself being among an older crowd usually when I go out, but just think you are all there cause you're doing what you love to do and I have learned a lot from divers that are older and more experienced. Just consider them being in your shoes at one point.
Your cert class is a good start to finding buddies, exchange numbers with classmates and get to kno them. Ask if they'd ever like to dive in the future and i'm sure you'll be able to meet others at places. just mainly dont limit yerself to one area
Hope this helps :)

do it

reg servicing approx $100 a year ish
tank stuff approx $25 a year per bottle -averaging hydro every 5 years, no o2 clean
bc service is crap, but they recommend it and is like $20 a year
tank fills can be anywhere from free to like $8 a tank depending on where you fill

old divers are the better ones to be buddies with. Just don't push in and be an instant expert. They have more experience, so listen to them, you'll learn more from a weekend of diving with some of them than you are likely to learn in your OW training.

Wonderful replies and very much appreciated.

The passionate replies from the divers on this site (in just the first half hour after posting) are making me want to just sign up as soon as possible. My ridiculous class schedule (procrastination) makes it kinda hard to find a class with compatible times, though. Are the weekend versions of the open water cert really missing that much? Or is the difficulty level much higher? The longer one has two of the four cert dives at Catalina, though, too. I guess I could go there anytime, though, just not as cheaply. (Are the cert dives even fun or just technical and training, etc?).

Sorry, I'm asking like hundreds of different questions in a single thread. I think I'll give it a break for now.

Go for it. I took my first cert course when i was 28 and my only regret is that I didn't start sooner.
When you get out and start diving you will meet divers of all ages, there are alot of people who start in their teens.
Good luck.

Trust me, as a whole i've found the diving community to be very accepting and accommodating.

The certification dives really depend on the instructor and where they are being done. It is really cool at first because you realize how cool it is to be independently breathing outside of a pool environment. You do have to do skills in the open water dives, but the instructor or divemaster will take you on a tour after each skill, so overall its pretty fun. The advanced open water course is significantly more fun, however.

Oh, and youre young? I'm 15 and the divers around here are very accepting. Just meet people and you will be in the "in crowd" faster than you know.

Good luck.

Once people have all there gear on you can't tell their age. Diving is an investment in having great experiences. Cost is relative to value. Diving is an incredible experience. You'll love it.

We are the same age, my degree is in Biology, I'm poor, and I'm in So. Cal. When you are certified lets do some free beach dives!

P.S. Do you/did you go to college? If you do, go hang out with the marine or environmental biologists. I have gone on awesome boat trips (several for free) just because I know them.

you mentioned classes, so if you're at a university i'd check out their scuba program first. A lot of times you'll get a LOT more dive time in with them, and that's always good

In diving, age is a state of mind. I dive with young divers, I dive with old divers. Come on in, the water's fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom