Trying to Break Into Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started at 11, am now 28, and have never once had anyone unwilling to dive with me. I am now a divemaster working on my instructor cert. and I love taking new divers out, regardless of age. I bet if you just introduced yourself to a few people in that shop's club, you'd have buddies for life.

Cheers,
Jim

"Old man hobby?"

"Too young to start diving?"

Dude, I started when I was 18. Granted, I couldn't afford to go to all those fancy places for diving at that age, but that was because I lived in Germany, with no diveable coast in reach. You live at the Pacific beach, from what I can tell, in the middle of DIVING PARADISE!!!

Get over your apprehension, drag your butt into that store and get certified. You can always rent equipment in the beginning, so it's not that expensive to start out.

As far as class schedule goes, of course I don't know your course load, but I used to think I was busy when I was a student, too. Ha-ha! Now, that I'm in a regular job, I realize how much time I had at my hands then.

Go for it!

P.S. I'm a science nerd, too, and believe me, diving needs many more of us!!!

You all should be proud of yourselves. Because of all you I am now minus about 500 dollars (And soon likely more)! :O

I signed up for OW class and bought some basic gear. I've done some research on other places in the area (similar prices and up), and I've also heard people suggest this place (on this forum as well). It seems very competitively priced and good so far. Helps that the place is 10 blocks from my home.

At the least it'll give me something to do with my time. :p

You all should be proud of yourselves. Because of all you I am now minus about 500 dollars (And soon likely more)! :O

I signed up for OW class and bought some basic gear. I've done some research on other places in the area (similar prices and up), and I've also heard people suggest this place (on this forum as well). It seems very competitively priced and good so far. Helps that the place is 10 blocks from my home.

At the least it'll give me something to do with my time. :p

Hey Dracunos, I'm glad you decided to get into the sport.

I know a lot of this has been addressed already but being young is not an issue. I am also 24! I just finished my cert earlier this year and am now looking at getting a dry suit!

In fact I've actually accumulated a back log of people looking to dive with me! I dont have enough days of diving to dive with everyone!

good luck, and if you're ever in the south bay area, hit me up, I'll be up for a dive!

Looks like you are off to a great start with getting your answers.... yes Pacific Wilderness is a good outfit. And I noticed you already found your way down to our local forum...hang around and you will leadr even more. I am one of the "old farts" that have no problem diving with anyone that is willing to learn and has the right respect for the sport. There are other younger diver in your area too. Yes, it is costly to get into diving...that is why many don't start untill they are older...but it is like anything you enjoy.
How much to get into motocyling, boating, boarding, etc?

... Yes, it is costly to get into diving...that is why many don't start untill they are older...but it is like anything you enjoy.
How much to get into motocyling, boating, boarding, etc?

Exactly. That couple beers EVERY DAY, buying a snack at work or at school every day.. or worst of all.. an overpriced coffee drink.. partying that my friends do (couple 24 packs couple times a week) is all easily more expensive than this stuff. It sneaks up on you and people never realize they could have gotten into scuba diving with all that cash instead =D

my son just got certified@ 11. the feeling as i watched him look his fears straight up and overcome them, can't be expressed in words. now several grand into equipment and we'll never look back. enjoy!

just keep us updated as you progress in your training!!

Welcome to the sport! Enjoy your class! And after you get certified if you are ever up in the SB area send me a message, I'm pretty much always up for a dive and always looking for a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom