Trying to use a YS-D1 and SB 103 strobe together

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivakdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Wondering if anyone can advise me on this. I had two SB 105 strobes left over from the days when Nikon had done an exchange from an earlier model(SB 103?) due to a chance of explosion or something. These had hardly been used. (I don't know whether someone would be interested in buying these today, or not, but they are great strobes)

Now, I've just set up an RX100 in a Nauticam housing, with one new SEA & SEA YS-D1 strobe, and , for now, am trying to use an SB 105 in slave mode. With the YS-D1 I can use quite high shutter speeds getting good results etc(surface macro test shots) and the SB 105 is going off but then I realized the SB 105 despite going off, does not appear to light the photo at all. I realized that this was probably a synchronization issue as the older SB 105 synchronized at 1/125 or less(if I remember correctly)

Can anyone confirm this for me? If I use a shutter speed setting of 1/125 , or 1/60 and the YS-D1 on the Manual Power setting, will the SB 105 synchronize with the camera/YSD1 combination?
I'll try and do some testing but had wondered if anyone might be able to confirm this for me.:depressed:

Last edited:
The experiment should take approximately 3 minutes in your kitchen. I assume the D1 is being shot in manual mode if not then all bets are off.
Bill

Did do some experimenting and the SB 105 did work in slave mode. I started with ISO 125, f/11 and used shutter speeds 1/60, 1/125 and then continued to 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000 and the strobe seemed to synch with all, which was not what I was expecting. The YS D1 was triggering slave but I had it covered in such a way that it was not lighting the subject.
I'm not sure how the SB 105 can work at faster shutter speeds but I'm not going to complain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom