TSA experiences: Backplate, integrated weights, lead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had my carry-on weighed at airports in Europe (flight to Egypt) and Asia. I believe some Caribbean puddle-jumper airlines weigh carry-on bags as well. When booking international flights, I always look out for carry-on weight limits. A common question on travel forums is how strictly such-and-such airline enforces their own stated limits.

Also, with regard to lead weights, this may be one of those items over which security personnel (e.g., TSA in the US) have some discretion, as there are rules out there prohibiting items that could be swung as a weapon (I believe "cudgel" is a term that is sometimes used). Baseball bats are clearly prohibited. But it occurs to me that a brick might be suspect. A lead dive weight? The vast majority of TSA agents may not bat an eye, but don't be surprised if it gets flagged someday somewhere.

I have had my carry-on weighed at airports in Europe (flight to Egypt) and Asia. I believe some Caribbean puddle-jumper airlines weigh carry-on bags as well. When booking international flights, I always look out for carry-on weight limits. A common question on travel forums is how strictly such-and-such airline enforces their own stated limits.

Also, with regard to lead weights, this may be one of those items over which security personnel (e.g., TSA in the US) have some discretion, as there are rules out there prohibiting items that could be swung as a weapon (I believe "cudgel" is a term that is sometimes used). Baseball bats are clearly prohibited. But it occurs to me that a brick might be suspect. A lead dive weight? The vast majority of TSA agents may not bat an eye, but don't be surprised if it gets flagged someday somewhere.

Maybe that is why they don’t allow regs in carry on bags in the Philippines though it is not always consistently enforced. *swings my regs like a lasso* A weapon, they say.

I have also had my carry on bags weighed before and they are usually when you fly with a non-US based carrier, or in another country outside of North America. 7 kg is a common limit. I always go beyond that (often double) just for my camera bag and I always get away with it due to the contents and value.

Back
Top Bottom