• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

TSandM -- Her Greatest Posts

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Mike Boswell, Aug 26, 2015.

1. LanceRiley

LanceRiley Barracuda

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    omg... im sorry to hear that.. rip and condolences.. I was away from scuba for 3-4 yrs...

2. bowlofpetunias

bowlofpetunias Oh no, not again! Staff Member

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Lynn's refereed to the "Incident Pit" fairly often. It was certainly a concept that stuck with me and I felt justified my cautious approach to problems that arise around diving. I have thought of posting some of them here for well.. years now. I did a search..Incident Pit and used name TSandM and there they were.

predive checklist
    Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Pinecube, billt4sf, Neilwood and 2 others like this.
  3. Saniflush

Saniflush ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

This is a great analogy. Thank you for finding and re-posting.

4. bowlofpetunias

bowlofpetunias Oh no, not again! Staff Member

Air consumption for new divers. I have provided the link and quoted the entire post. The specific reference to breathing is later in the post so click to expand. Worth reading this enirely

Air consumption tips?

Saniflush likes this.
  5. billt4sf

billt4sf Loggerhead Turtle

How to Deal With Current:

First off, the important thing is not to panic. Water is stronger than any of us, and given a strong enough current in any direction, we are not going to be successful fighting it head-on. But if you have gas to breathe, you have time to solve the problem.

All diving problems are better dealt with in prevention than in reaction. If you are diving in an area known for strong currents, you will want to close up your spacing between you and your buddy. Currents are often laminar, and if you are 15 or 20 feet away from your buddy, you may end up in a layer that is moving faster and creating separation. Watch the structure, too. If you have been behind a rock or a hull that is sheltering you from the current, and you are about to leave that, you will be caught and blown. Prepare by closing up with your buddy and checking the location of the guide, if you are following one. In fact, watching the guide more frequently is often helpful, because they know the sites and choose their route to minimize the effects of the current.

Recognize the behavior of water. As I said, it's laminar -- water right down on the bottom will almost always be moving more slowly than further up in the water column. On a wall, close to the wall is better than further out in open water. Hide from the current as best you can; even small irregularities in terrain can help a lot.

IF you are blown off . . . First thing to do is to try, if you can, to get the attention of the group to let them know what has happened. In sunlit tropical water, this can be very hard to do. Tap your tank with something -- even yell into your regulator, as that sound will carry. As everybody else has said, once you have tried to angle or otherwise make your way back to the group and found you can't do that, give up. Fighting current is a good way to lose your resource that is buying you problem-solving time, which is your gas. At this point, you have both a team separation and a separation from the boat, and that's bad. You have decided you can't repair the team separation, but you can at least minimize the consequences of losing the boat. This requires learning the skill of deploying a surface marker buoy. If you can shoot a bag right then and there, the boat is likely to see it and realize they have a diver heading off in the wrong direction. It's my personal opinion that bag shooting is one of the necessary prerequisite skills to diving in high current areas.

Similarly, if you are on the surface, try as hard as you CAN to get where you need to go, but if you can't, don't struggle into exhaustion. Make sure you are buoyant. Get the attention of the group and of the boat -- see if they can throw you a tag line. Inflate a surface marker to make yourself easier to spot. If no one has noticed you are drifting away, wave the marker, yell, or use an audibly signal device like a DiveAlert (one of those saved our butts in the Philippines last year).

These things do happen. I've been caught in powerful and completely unexpected currents a few times. I have had several occasions to be extremely glad of the signaling devices I carry. Just always remember -- underwater, if you have gas, you have time; on the surface, if you are buoyant, you have tons of time.

bowlofpetunias likes this.
  6. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Wow. We'll never know what happened

7. Kevrumbo

Kevrumbo Banned

Lynne left in her own words an assurance but nevertheless worrisome clues from an incident seven years ago, which can be construed as possibly contributing or as precipitating cause leading to her disappearance -->She had a history of acute positional Vertigo in diving:

Vertigo on deco

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    scubadada and undrwater like this.
  8. billt4sf

billt4sf Loggerhead Turtle

WOW! *I* have acute vertigo, though never while diving!

9. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

I generally agree, except at small choke-points like the one of the two openings to Puget Sound and San Francisco's Golden Gate. OK, the bottom currents can be a little less but are still screaming. I have even been in current in excess of 5 knots on the bottom in open sea off South Carolina. I wouldn't have believed it but that is what the Captain calculated it based on our hot-jump and pick-up points. It was before GPS so measurements were based on Radar.

Hang-off for decompression was impossible so we had to hang off a small drifting inflatable at our 20' O2 stop. The dive was useless except the ride was rt of fun.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  10. Peter Guy

Peter Guy Divemaster

I am truly amazed that two years later people are still discussing Lynne's posts.

I'm convinced she had no idea anything like this could be happening but she'd be proud as hell that it is.