Tuberculosis & diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marku:
Hi,

I work as a divemaster and was sidelined for 2 months because of Pulmonary Tubercolosis. I took Myrin-P for 2 months and have tested negative on my sputum tests. I am now taking Myrin for 4 months. I think both drugs are made by Wyeth. I am planning to go back to work soon. Is that advisable? Anything in particular I should keep in mind? My doctor said the pathogens thrive better in oxygen-rich environments; should I stay away from nitrox? My doctor is not very familiar with diving physiology and I would appreciate any input I can get from anybody out there.

Thank you!!

marku
get well soon bro! ingat!

Jag

TSandM:
Active disease is usually treated with a multiple drug regimen, and it is true that prolonged treatment is necessary to eradicate infection.

Active TB can be complicated with abscesses and pneumothoraces. ...Have at the very least a chest x-ray (probably better a CT) once the disease was considered under control, to document any damage that might raise the risk of pneumothorax while diving. That's just me talking, though -- no science.

This is quite right and I second it. TB in the Philippines is a major concern and Myrin-P is a single tablet containing multiple drugs. Negative sputum means diver can leave the hospital but doesn't mean the diver is entirely normal. If the disease reactivates, the likelihood for complications are large and not trivial to repair since it may have developed a resistance to all the drugs within Myrin-P. It could mean an end to all diving in the future.

The standard approach in the US would be a follow up chest-xray 6-12 months after treatment and monitoring for any relapsing symptoms beforehand [ sputum, chills, fever etc.]. The minimum for treatment is 6 months, but that is not under a setting of hyperoxia.

Note, 3 ATA hyperoxia has been found to inhibit the growth of M. Tuberculosis in vitro. But it may do nothing, or enhance growth before it and since normoxia or slightly above it enhances TB growth, I would consider not diving until the full treatment duration of 12 months was completed.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pagerender.fcgi?artid=277102&pageindex=1

Thank you everybody!

Jag (I like shugar better :D ), Caloy, Chip, daghang salamat. Hope I get the chance to meet you guys sometime mga bai. Give me a heads-up if ever you plan on coming down to Dumaguete, oki?

Saturation, BerRabbit, TS&M, Catherine, thank you so much for the insights. You guys are the coolest!

cheers,
marku

marku:
But yeah, I really think there should be more awareness about TB. Being in the dark sucks, especially if you're the one who has it.

-marku

heal well and fast. i know complete rest would help alot.

and just simulate buddy breathing and buddy share air drills. we practice "SIMULATION breathing" instead of literally putting in the mouth regs of unfamiliar students and dive buddys.

dive safely.

Back
Top Bottom