Tubes tied question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Assuming his actions are NOT legal... what a jerk! (The doctor, not lamont. :wink:) Would he require the same of the husband if he requested a vasectomy?

I remember a friend of mine (living in Europe) wanted to get her tubes tied when she was 26 or so. She knew that she never wanted to have children. The doctor wouldn't do it. Said they won't do it until she is 35+...reason being she might want to change her mind

That is ridiculous, if thats what someone wants they should get it, its alot safer then birth control, if ur sure long tgerm

yup, that's what we thought to....the doc would rather expose you long term to the pill than tie ya up....and if I remember right, if you did get your tubes tied you could get it undone (not 100% sure though).

Well, I know from (my husband's) experience that doctors do not require this of men wanting a vasectomy, even if they have no children. Both the patient and his wife must sign waivers stating that they understand that the surgery must be assumed to be irreversable, but that's it.
Time for a new doctor; that is not normal. Probably legal, but that doesn't mean you have to put up with it. You deserve better.

Deborah

Cheekymonkey:
My cousin recently had her third child with her husband, and prior to everything informed the doctor that she wanted to get her tubes tied, because they had decided that they only wished to have three children. The doctor required her to speak to a psychologist, as well as a signature of her husband to allow this, Is this legal? I wasnt sure how to react to hearing this, has anyone had similar experiences?

Time for a new doc. It's nobody's business but hers.

Terry

I had both of my kids by the time that I was the ripe old age of 22 and we had decided that since I was scheduled for a C-section, it would be easier for me to have my tubes tied.

Since I was under the age of ??? (hey, it's been awhile...) I had to sign two waivers at different times stating that I understood that this was a permanent "fix" and that the process could not be guaranteed reversible. It was about the age...and if I remember right, the number of children that I had.

Glad I signed...or I'd probably have 12 kids running around right now, and it'd be hard to find a babysitter to go diving!

Many states require husband's to have their wife sign off on approval of a vasectomy, and same for wives with a tubal. My sister's an ob/gyn and said there have been 3 malpractice cases where people asked for the surgery, got it, and their spouses sued because they hadn't been informed. All 3 cases won.

It rates up there with her having to carry obstetrics insurance for 18 years after she delivered her last baby, it was required by the state she worked in, as parents could sue her for malpractice up until the child was 18 years old. I'm figuring if you didn't notice your kid had problems in the first 5 years when physical and developmental problems are usually found then you might not be the most observant parent. Rarely can a parent go through 17.5 years not aware their kid has a disability. More often than not parents wonder how their kid managed to make it to 17.5. :D

Bobbin-along:
It rates up there with her having to carry obstetrics insurance for 18 years after she delivered her last baby, it was required by the state she worked in, as parents could sue her for malpractice up until the child was 18 years old. I'm figuring if you didn't notice your kid had problems in the first 5 years when physical and developmental problems are usually found then you might not be the most observant parent. Rarely can a parent go through 17.5 years not aware their kid has a disability. More often than not parents wonder how their kid managed to make it to 17.5. :D

Sadly i've heard that beyond that, a child upon turning 18 can bring lawsuit again. Since the statute of limitations restarts since the child didnt have the ability to bring lawsuit themselves while they were a minor. Not sure if thats true though.

Back
Top Bottom