Turks & Caicos- Aggressor or Explorer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you had a good trip! Now one more favor, my wife wants a critter count: sharks, rays, turtles, etc.

Nurse Sharks, Caribbean Reef Sharks, Sting Rays, Nudibranchs, Conch, Lobsters, Crabs, Damsels, (2) Lionfish (which are native to the south pacific...NOT the Caribbean), squirrel fish, trigger fish, garden eels, moray eels, eagle ray, parrot fish, trumpet fish, arrow crabs, star fish, (2) little squids (one of them got eaten by a jack when I was looking at him. :( ). Octopus (I had one that was very curious of me and following me around for about 20 minutes during the dive. ... and inking everything that got in his way..), HUGE puffer fish, jacks, grunts, and much much more, but I'm tired of typing. :wink:

One other point on the Aggressor....

As I said in my previous post, I haven't been on the Explorer so can't compare...

The captain, Piers, of the Aggressor owns the boat/franchise. It's the T&C Aggressor II so I think he was involved in designing the upgrade of the T&CA I. Before going I had met people in both the US and the UK that raved about the boat and hospitality of Piers and his wife Annette. He was off that week but did come on board when we came back into Provo at the end and was very nice. Furthermore, the captain for our week was great and a pro-photographer as well. He's gone now, but I know some of the same crew are still there. I did the photo course that week. The avid photographers were happy with the camera table, compressed air, computers for downloading etc.

We have booked on the Explorer for week of 6/21 so now we just have to wait for the clock to tick down to departure.

Both boats look great and don't think we could have gone wrong either way. We're not photographers so that didn't sway us. In the end, the Explorer was less expensive and I think the cabin layout was a little better for me.

Thanks for everyone's input!

What I'd like to know, in addition to information about two liveaboards, is what is the general state of diving in Turks and Caicos?

I mean is it exceptioinal diving there? What can you compare it to, if anything at all?

and I can say the diving is FABULOUS! I was impressed with the lack of the red algae that is found in numerous places. There was one place called Sully's Gully off of West Caicos that I think was in my top 5 dives. I did a land based so I can't speak to the liveaboard experience but the diving was so good that I'm going to recommend it to my friends and family group for a trip in the next couple of years.
We'll do it as a land based because I have a daughter in law that is not a diver and we like to include her. There are tons of great Spas on the island and lots of cute shops so she will have stuff to keep her busy while we dive. I personally think that the TCI walls rival the walls in Cayman. There are not quite as many colorful sponges but I really loved them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom