Turneffe Flats Resort Review (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Boobie Sanctuary is a great little island. I wish we had more time to explore off the beaten path.

It made me angry to see that people felt the need to carve their initials in one of the trees.:shakehead:

Attachments

• DSC01101.jpg
    DSC01101.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 169
Hank: I'm thinking they didn't make it to The Elbow, although I could be wrong because they got really, really close, like another three minutes or so from the Front Porch.

ibj40: The two names I recognize on the list are the Front Porch and the Sayanora, so I know TIR dives those two.

Just retrieved my dive log from my wife's old desk top (just bought here a new laptop and everything's not been moved over). Here is our dive log for the trip we took to the Flats in May, 2007 (for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to format this information, but hope it makes sense):

Date / Dive Time / Max Depth / Ave. Depth / Dive Name

5/13/07
47 min. 79 ft. 55 ft. Secret Garden
63 min. 72 ft. 49 ft. North Bow
60 min. 31 ft. 24 ft. Hollywood Shallows

5/14/07
27 min. 140 ft. 70 ft. The Blue Hole
55 min. 77 ft. 46 ft. Half Moon Caye Wall
53 min. 55 ft. 33 ft. The Aquarium

5/15/07
45 min. 89 ft. 64 ft. The Elbow
55 min. 69 ft. 45 ft. Secret Spot
55 min. 60 ft. 43 ft. Fat John's Reef

5/16/07
54 min. 76 ft. 57 ft. Baker's Rock
8 min.* 65 ft. 39 ft. Calabash
55 min. 63 ft. 48 ft. "Little" Calabash
53 min. 56 ft. 39 ft. Pelican Cut

5/17/07
52 min. 84 ft. 47 ft. Elkins Bay
55 min. 70 ft. 41 ft. The Terrace
53 min. 61 ft. 42 ft. Chasbo's Corner

5/18/07
56 min. 69 ft. 48 ft. Creekeseen Cut
61 min. 63 ft. 41 ft. Tubes and Barrels

*Got a dead tank and had to abort. Boat drifted a bit while we changed them out, and we went back in, but down current from Calabash itself.

Clearly, we did dive The Elbow from Flats, plus a bunch of the stuff on the upper end and west side of the atoll. I have to say the The Terrace had to be one of the most spectacular dives I have ever done. The view over the wall down onto the next tier of sea floor was just spectacular. Add to that the three Spotted Eagle Rays we watch glide along down there made it absolutely unforgettable.

Thanks for your review. It answered my question of TIR vs. TF. Thanks for sharing the photo link too.

The pleasure is all mine. I'm glad it was informative:D.

Thanks for a great trip report and comparing the two resorts. I could not get a good grasp on which one to choose by the website. My decision is made now. I will be staying at TIR plus I read they are able to mix Nitrox to accommodate the Blue Hole Dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom