Turneffe Flats Resort Review (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool map!

I don't see the Zoo on there, which was the northernmost dive we took from TIR and was on the eastside of the cayes. I'm thinking it was around Monkey Man Cut or maybe just north of that. Maybe I've misremembered (is that even a word?) the name, but I'm pretty sure that's what they called it.

No mooring balls except for the Sayanora night dive that I remember. I've seen the Sayanora during the day and about the only thing that's left is a bunch of cables and a few odds and ends. Frankly, it just looks like a trash dump now and TIL ought to clean it up.

We saw that construction for a new resort had begun on one of the cayes, although we didn't get very close to it. Looked like a massive undertaking.

Peter they cut it as soon as you turn your back. We keep a removable weighted down-line at the reef when we have multiple DSD programs in a day and we have lost a few of those in between dives as well. If you ever go to the fisherman's bar behind the commercial center in the city you will notice a number of moorings with good pieces of rope that have been deliberately cut from sites and used to decorate the place. Shame. Fisheries Officers hang out in there too and just laugh it off.

Downing, The Zoo is in the Grand Bogue area in between Lee Ellen's Melons and JoJo's Splits. There are moorings all the way up to Calabash Caye on the east side. Bull Bay in between the Grand Bogue area and Calabash Caye has some deep walls with plenty of gorgonians and yellow tube sponges. There are about 3 moorings in that area.

The construction going on by Ropewalk Cayes (north of TIR) is a reminder to investors to do proper research before spending their first dollar. Part of the infrastructure there was built by a local businessman a few years ago then he was kicked out because he built it on someone else property and not on his own, which was a piece of swamp next to where he built.

Reminds me of something I heard the other day. Someone in the US/Canada recently inherited a piece of empty property on Ambergris Caye, and decided to come down to see it. After some difficulty, with expert help they found the land - with some condos built on it. They have been advised that "squatter's rights" apply and they can neither recover the land nor get compensation. It seems certain that the person who built the condos knew who owned the land and pulled a few strings (paid a few bribes) to get "title". What a wonderful country we live in!

I’m craracer’s 2nd dive buddy to whom he refers to in #23

As many of you who travel solo to distant dive destinations know it’s quite a crap-shoot to find a respectable dive buddy. Let me tell you that you should consider yourselves very fortunate if you ever get the chance to dive with craracer; easy going; safe; great dive skills; a total pleasure to be around above and below the surface of the water.

Delta Airlines delivered me to Belize City traveling from Texas through Atlanta. Departed Texas at 0530 and arrived in Belize City at 11:30. No complaints about the flight. In fact, I was able to score the round trip airfare for $300.

The van from Belize airport dropped us off at the Calypso restaurant to wait for the Ms Ellie boat ride to TF. The Calypso served me a hub-cap sized portion of grilled Grouper which was out of this world good; the plate also had fries and slaw hidden under the Grouper. The Grouper was grilled to just the right texture with local spices; outstanding. The only memorable meal at TF was the barbeque dinner. However, the ladies in the kitchen did a great job with preparing fresh bread and rolls everyday.

The diving was just okay; nothing really great to write home to Mom about. The White Spotted Toadfish at Creekozine South was a nice find. The diving at Half Moon Cay Wall was the highlight of the week for me. Unfortunately we only got to dive one dive on the wall. There was a Caribbean Reef Shark off the wall out in the blue. I must have hung out at 70 fsw for 5 minutes just watching him/her moving through the water column; they are so exquisite in the water. There was also a Pistol Shrimp making “fire cracker” noises at the base of one of the coral heads.

The night dive was a disappointment at North Bogue. The dive site is on the Eastern edge of the reef in front of Turneffe Flats. The maximum dive depth was 12 feet. That’s right, you’re not seeing things; 12 feet. The marine life that was sighted on the night dive included an Elegant Anemone, Octopus, Large Fireworm, and a Juvenile Stingray.

There’s been enough said about the drunken fishermen who were a disgrace to men in particular and to humanity in general.

When I boarded the van to take us from the airport to the dock, craracer and his lovely wife were already onboard. We began our conversation not with the usual hi, how are you, where you from dialog but focused on the required trip to the Blue Hole. I had no diving experience regarding the BH prior to this trip having been to Belize for diving 5 previous times, mostly on liveaboards. The only knowledge I have about the BH is from what I read and see in photos or Discovery Channel programs, or a Jacque Cousteau rerun. The consensus of the three of us was that we preferred to dive multiple times at Half Moon Cay rather than spend time in the BH. Unfortunately, we could not get a consensus from the other divers and had to dive BH. Upon reflection of my time in the BH, I would have preferred to spend 2 or 3 dives on the wall at Half Moon Cay; even if it meant diving several times on the same dive site. I would have been very disappointed if I had saved my money and vacation time just to dive BH as the only reason to go to Belize for diving. Viz at depth (130fsw) was maybe 15 feet. The Caribbean Reef Sharks were the highlight of the dive at BH.

Turneffe Flats is an extremely well kept facility of which I have no complaints. The fluctuation of the water temperature in the shower turned out to be a pretty good game for me to see if I could get in and out of the shower before scalding or freezing myself; quite entertaining I must admit. The Highest Compliments go out to Claudia (I think that’s her name) who kept the rooms spotless. I mean you could eat off the floors they were so clean. No bug problems for me in the room. I completely agree with craracer about the tomb-stone softness of the beds. Claudia also provided us excellent dining room service for every meal. She always had a huge smile and was willing to meet any reasonable request regarding room care and dining fare. Compliments go out to the “ground crew” at Turneffe Flats for keeping the grounds as spotless as possible particularly with a steady Easterly wind that washes up every kind of Caribbean rubbish that finds its way across the Caribbean to the shores of the Atoll. The grounds crew works tirelessly everyday to keep the beach area clean from sea-borne debris and they do it with the biggest smiles. One afternoon craracer was out for his afternoon walk and came back with examples of medical waste that washed up on an area of the beach away from the cabins. No syringes, but a brown glass bottle that showed syringes had been used to extract the contents and there was also a full bottle of Prozac.

I would like to acknowledge the outstanding business decision Craig made to allow only 5 divers to use the Ms. Ellie for the week; a 48 foot diesel powered custom diver boat for 5 divers. I’m most impressed with Craig living up to what he advertised to me when I received my reservation paperwork from the front office (that information I’m sure has since changed). It’s all too infrequent these days for a business owner to stand by their word because living up to their word will have a negative effect on their bottom line, but Craig DID. Well Done Craig and THANK YOU.

The luxury of the Ms. Ellie was quickly demonstrated when we had to take the small boat to Lindsey’s Back Porch on Wednesday because Ms. Ellie was making the trip to Belize City on her normal Wednesday run. We traveled on the small boat out to a point inside the reef system where we were instructed to “gear up” because as soon as we got past the reef we would be in heavy seas. We all geared up and embraced the heavy seas with some vigor. I was sitting in the front of the small boat as the waves were crashing over the bow. It got so bad that the only way I could breathe and see was to put on my mask and snorkel. We back rolled into the heavy seas and as I was waiting for the descend signal I wondered if the strawberry on my “6” was ever going to go away after all the bouncing and smashing on the non-cushioned bench. I descended into the blue caught in the dream of the comfort of a 48 foot custom dive boat.

The Blue Hole is a dive that is sometimes over hyped.It is not, in most cases, going to be a 'Religious experience', however the dive i feel is worth the trip. The depth adds a little spice as does the thermocline and light levels and the fact it is totally unlike reef diving makes it a somewhat unique dive. Swimming through the huge Stalactites with no bottom in site is a different experiece for most, add the sharks and i think it is worth the "entrance fee".The other dives at Lighthouse are great and if you like boobies the day is complete

Redseal1tx, thanks for that. I take it that flying Delta via Atlanta was cheaper than flying American out of Dallas or Continental out of Houston? Gotta love that airline pricing!

I saw the TF boat docked at the Princess last summer. It's a nice rig.

Having done the BH three times now, I'd happily skip it and dive The Aquarium all day but the reality is there will always be those for whom it's the first time and they're entitled to the experience.

Regardless, it's a great day trip. That green water along the reef between the BH and Lighthouse is worth the price of admission alone. And yes, there's the boobies.

Downing,

You are spot on regarding the water color. craracer's wife took some photos of me on my camera for my wife who is a non-diver. When I returned home and displayed the photos on the flat screen TV, she was quite taken by the color of the water around Lighthouse and Half Moon Cay.

Delta's arrival and departure times were far better than Continental and American. I saved 4 hours each way by flying Delta. I also save $500 by flying Delta with no special deals, coupons, travel incentives, etc. I had been keeping an eye out for about 6 weeks for airfare to Belize City. The entire time round trip airfares were in the high $800 range. Then one Tuesday night about 2250, there was the $300 round trip airfare. Timing is everything.

Redseal: You had me at "Hello sailor" :D

Trust me when I say that Redseal is an absolutely fantastic person to dive with. It's rare to find someone with the skill-set that he has acquired. If we lived closer to each other, our suits would never, ever be dry. To your students, you are a Godsend.

I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on your trip. Even though we were at the same location, at the same time, it's good to hear a different perspective.

I feel horrible that I didn't mention Claudia, and I didn't realize that she pulled double duty!:depressed: My wife was quite impressed with her serving skills. Apparently, Claudia follows the "rules of proper service" (It appears that, and unbeknownst to me, my wife has added an additional PHD to the two she attained in college......Etiquette 601). Claudia doesn't say much, but she has one of those personalities that just spills over with kindness.

The Blue Hole is a dive that is sometimes over hyped.It is not, in most cases, going to be a 'Religious experience', however the dive i feel is worth the trip. The depth adds a little spice as does the thermocline and light levels and the fact it is totally unlike reef diving makes it a somewhat unique dive. Swimming through the huge Stalactites with no bottom in site is a different experiece for most, add the sharks and i think it is worth the "entrance fee".The other dives at Lighthouse are great and if you like boobies the day is complete

I Love Boobies

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom